Iced Tea.

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by ericf, May 11, 2004.

1. ericf

ericf Member

Okay, this is a little random but what the hell.

Am I the only person who reuses Snapple bottles? I drink a lot of iced tea (a lot). I would say I drink a half-gallon to a gallon a day. I usually prefer unsweetened tea so it is cheapest for me to make my tea at home. When I do buy a Snapple at the store or something I make sure I save the bottle and cap.

I rinse all the bottles out and keep them on my shelf until I make a bunch of tea. I make sure all the bottles are clean and when the tea is made I just pour it in the bottles and cap them. Then I put them in the fridge to cool. I like it because the bottle "pop" again when you open them and it produces less garbage. I can use the same bottles 8-15 times maybe longer. The only time I really need to replace a bottle is if the cap gets rusty or it breaks. I wish I could find cheap caps because the rust thing is much more common then breaking the bottles.

Does anyone else do this?

Also, I am real lax about cleanliness. Seriously. I just rinse the bottles and don't worry about it. Since I rarely have bottles sitting in the air for more than two days I have never had a problem. I suppose a worried person could put them in the dishwasher. I figure that there isn't much to feed bacteria and mold (since my tea is unsweet) and I am pouring almost boiling water into the bottles then sealing and cooling them right away. I probably wouldn't drink a bottle that didn't "pop" just in case but I have never had one that didn't seal.

Anyway, this is just a little hippie-hint of the day for those unsweet tea drinkers. Reuse those bottles. The only people who hate this are my sisters. They stop in and grab a tea -- thinking it is sweetened because of the label and get upset when it isn't. They hate unsweet tea.

I suppose you could make sweet tea or anything else like this. Just make sure you mix the sugar/honey/whatever before you pour it into the bottles. It would be impossible to get it right after the bottle was capped. You don't want it to spray everywhere and the bottle gets hot real fast.

2. LadyComet

LadyComet Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hey don't worry about it. I have a diet iced tea conatiner that gets reused all the time. This iced tea from a local mini mart that I like costs $1.30 for a half gallon and $2.19 per gallon. I have purchased a half gallon a long time ago and keep refilling it with the gallons I buy stored in the fridge. I can add ice to make it last longer and the reusable conatiner is much more sturdier than the gallon jug!! Rinse it out and reuse it!! YAY!!!

3. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Interesting concept. I too drink excessively large quantities of iced tea during the summer and late spring and I enjoy it most unsweetened. In addition I keep an ongoing supply of lemonade in the fridge.

Since I make tea in large quantities, I usually keep a carafe in the refridgerator that has a plastic lid. I pour it by the cup when I am home or I put it in a Thermos when I'm on the road. Never thought to reuse store bought glass, but I guess that would make sense.

Before I had the Thermos, however, I used to keep my drinks in Ball Mason jars. I'd get those from old spaghetti sauces.

4. sonik

sonik Member

How long before the caps start to rust???

:confused:

5. nesta

nesta Banned

you can spend a couple bucks and buy a bunch of mason jars. i'd suggest pint jars, shouldered with wide mouthed lids. great for drinking out of, and they work the same way (vacuum caused by cooling of the contents)

the advantage is that you can buy replacement lids once they rust, either in the grocery store or (out of canning season) online

6. ericf

ericf Member

It takes a while for any rust to show on the caps... the main part that is wet is protected by a plastic seal. Eventually the cap starts to get coated with tea residue and I throw them all in the dishwasher. That is what usually causes a hole in (or removes entirely) the plastic. After that... about four days. I have never seen rust in one I opened... I have seen rust when I picked a cap up to use it.

I would say, if you don't wash them in the dishwasher... the caps should last three-four weeks easily. Since I refill all the bottles about every other day (I have 11 of them right now) that means I get about 14 uses out of each bottle. At the very least I am reducing waste. It really is not a problem. If you do a visual inspection of the caps when you bottle you can tell if one is starting to look bad. As long as they look clean and smooth you can be pretty sure you won't open a rusty bottle.

I have never thought about using mason jars before. Probably because I never have them around. They would work great also. How much do they cost about? I pay about $0.71 per snapple bottle (usually buying a 12 pack at a time when I need new bottles or just want some). Wow, I just thought about how much money I must be saving doing this. I would be spending like $4 a day or more instead of pennies...

7. resensa

resensa Member

Resensa, a new name, a unique flavor and an exciting beverage that will truly revolutionize the world of iced tea lovers.

Resensa Green Iced Tea is the "World's First Green Iced Tea Mix". It contains imported green tea powder with 40% powerful catechin antioxidants - the highest level of antioxidant found in green tea.

Likewise, Resensa Green Iced tea is certified 100% pesticide free and 100% natural green tea powder.

Green tea powder is processed through a stringent manufacturing procedure without discounting the material's quality and purity. From natural resource base, to quality control management, to concentration, to the actual packing method, the proven health benefits of green tea remains intact.

Resensa Green Iced tea is prepared fresh to produce a refreshingly and healthy drink.

Resensa Green Iced Tea is a quality product and exclusively distributed by Harmonde, a division of Trevoca Corp. Limited.

Resensa is now available in
    34 countries in the world. To know more information about which countries are covered pelase visit http://www.resensa.com

If you have more questions, please contact me.

8. Midget

Midget Senior Member

I've started reusing bottles, like for water, and such. I used to buy Nalgene bottles, but I kept loosing them. :p So I was like why waste money buying them? Just buy some gatorade or something for like 2 bucks, and then reuse that bottle. :D It's a lot cheaper to loose one of those, then it is a nalgene bottle. :p I don't do that with glass stuff, though...since I'm usually taking it wtih my somewhere or something. But that's a very good idea!

9. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I reuse my glass bottles for my own drinks... I'm always bringing water to work (it's very dry there, for some reason) and I drink like a gallon a day... I make my own iced tea... from tea bags, I make chai usually, mixed with a little honey, then let it cool in the fridge.... It's quite yummy.

10. MountainGirlVT

MountainGirlVT Member

i don't make my own tea very often, but if you like unsweetened tea, you should try honest tea (or maybe its honestea, not sure). they make awesome teas with no sugar added. any sweetness is totally natural and the teas are completely organic. they're AWESOME. i'm totally addicted to the Green Dragon (green tea) one. they sell it at the store where i work, so i drink it for free all day long! very yummy and quite healthy.

11. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

i totally reuse my snapple (and other) bottles!

yay!