Ice Raids

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Flagme15, Aug 8, 2019.

1. deleted

deleted Visitor

Trump is buying Greenland because its where ICE comes from..

2. The abolition movement started before Lincoln's presidency and peaked at around 3,000 people. That doesn't seem like a lot of people, but most of the Americans were essentially neutral on the issue because they weren't part of the problem. Slavery was practiced by 1.6% of the Americans, all of those were wealthy.

What's interesting is that only about 2% of the abolitionists were from the "North" (in civil war terms). More of them were in the "South" and in the neutral states and territories (Winston county Alabama as well). Another thing to consider about Lincoln was his application of the Emancipation Proclamation. It was a masterful stroke of pure pandering because it did nothing for the slaves in the north, so northern slave owners were conned into thinking they had no worries.

Today's republicans love to pat themselves on the back when it comes to the slavery issue. They compress decades of 19th century events into a few paragraphs in an effort to portray their side as having been the only friend to the slaves and then the black Americans who had been slaves and then their children. In the south, long derided as the face of American slavery (as if the north was blameless), this was an easy sale to make. After all, the south was dominated by democrats, many former slave owners.

And they didn't recover so well after the civil war because so much of their economic thinking revolved around cheap labor. So they implemented laws that enslaved all poor people into a de facto caste system. For black people this was made exponentially worse by rampant illiteracy which made localized regulations too easy to fall into. Like so many traps laid out for them to step in. Once in the legal system, they became very cheap labor. And this bullshit continues to this day and ensnares poor people routinely, especially if their education is sub par.

Democrats claim to be advocates for the poor, but still enact regulations that make it too easy for the poor to be exploited. Republicans sometimes gripe about these regulations, but rarely fight them. Probably because most republicans think that anyone making less than 6 figures should qualify for disabled status. The republican's indifference is legendary, but the democrat's claims of advocacy are little more than lip service. They propose all kinds of stuff, which makes them look like heroes, only to cave in Washington after everybody forgets what they promised.

The exception to this is issues that can't possibly be solved, which democrats keep on the front page.

3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I agree with much of what but you said but like what here?

Demarcates in general are the ones supporting a raise in minnium wage or a union. So where is the exploitation of any worker?

The GOP fosters a pre-civil rights environment where people are separate but equal. In 1960 they said it's not racist since everyone has a drinking fountain it's just natural to separate. We see it in nature and everyone is happy with their own. It's an argument still used today by the party.

Since the end of the Civil War white embarrassed white people have tried to make it all go away. It's not that simple. And for the GOP to get many of the voters they do they can not discuss racism or the long lasting social and ecominc issues. All they can say is separate but equal so it's fine. We don't have that law anymore but who do have that opinion.

It's not the idea of low tax or that all the blacks voted for a black guy it's the racism. People know that where Nazis and old white men it's not safe for them.

And on the black subject I guess it evened out since plenty of MAGA people said "finally not a ******". I know some in my family who said this.

4. Minimum wage has been a joke since I was a teenager making $1.45 per hour. Within 2 years it went up to $1.65 and then $1.85 and it was GREAT. Then it stopped keeping pace with inflation and became the equivalent of slavery. Except that the slaver didn't have to feed, house or clothe the slaves, so their work under minimum wage was a bargain. Another advantage of minimum wage slavery was that the slaves came in every color, so there was no need for special consideration or sorting. Democrats SAY all kinds of crap about the minimum wage and it all sounds dandy. And never materializes. It should have been $15 per hour a decade ago.

Most of the "white embarrassed white people" who are trying to make the civil war fade into history are from the former union states. They know sooner or later their ancestral complicity will become very obvious. Beating "the south" over the head with it has produced nothing new, they still act like defeated losers.

The only people I hear saying "******" these days are black people. I guess I hang out with a better crowd.

Also, I think race-based voting is exactly why places like Detroit and Baltimore are crumbling.

5. ICE really does seem like nothing more than a modern day gestapo.

6. lode

lode Banned

7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Why is it that immigrant workers, drug runners, organised criminals, murderers and rapists are all lumped into the same statistic. I suspect that it is more by the fake news media than the government.

IF the US has more than 10 million undocumented people, surely decades of inept government is to blame. I say "IF", simply because I can't see how anyone could have counted people who theoretically do not exist.

The job of any government is to create a safe and fair society.
    The country needs immigrant workers, so why not document and control them, keeping those with a criminal history out.
    Companies employing them could then be taxed to redress the balance of any financial advantage.
    Arrest the criminals and lock them up for at least 15 years.
    25 years for the drug dealers.
    Same for the rapists.
    Life without parole for the murderers.

The US is completely independent to make it's own laws (within reasonable limits). so why does it need someone like me to suggest what should have been common sense to decades of presidents.

I would love to meet Trump, I think that we would end up chatting and agreeing on many issues that are blighting the western world.
    I doubt that it would be too long before our conversations focused on China.

8. wilsjane

Detroit and several other cities failed when the industry's supporting them crumbled.
    This is entirely the fault of 4 or more decades of incompetent national government.

9. lode

lode Banned

The automobile? Not a nationalized industry.

We outsourced a lot of that work, and the city's suburbs grew rapidly while they didn't invest in diversifying the workforce of their city. Gentrification, no investment in other industries, an outsourced major industry, and a general national trend of people moving to the South and the West are responsible for Detroit's fall.

Out of all of those reasons, the only one involving the federal government were trade agreements making it easier for companies to outsource.

10. lode

lode Banned

Undocumented means lacking official documentation to live or work in the US. Not that their existence isn't documented by the census.

11. wilsjane

EXACTLY, !!!!!!!!!!!

This is the kingpin of failure of most of the western world. CORRECT government control and taxation levels could have prevented it.

12. wilsjane

Then if they have known the magnitude of the situation, control and humane solutions should have been implemented decades ago.
    Generations of presidents seem to have been more concerned in worrying about countries such as Vietnam and Iraq than worrying about their countries own citizens.

13. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

They are so insane and dominate the mass media so much, that automation is the only way left to throw crap back in their faces. Trust me, not a single academic that I've spoken to has suggested actually teaching them how to share their words and play nice. Not a single person I've spoken to on the subject for the last twenty years has been willing to admit the political system is a complete sham, and conservatives have been the only ones to suggest a solution which, of course, is to vote the bums out of office. Two million women marched in protest against an obviously insane racist and sexist pig being elected president, and it was the largest protest in US history, but they represented less than 1% of the population. I tell liberals they are making conservatives look more appealing every day.

If I have to choose between different liars and selfish lazy bums who only care about feeding their faces and wallets and pecking each other to death for no real reason whatsoever, then I will have to recommend people vote republican, because at least they are good at it. Honesty is the best policy, and at least they can be more honest about not giving a crap about anyone or anything anymore except the money.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  14. kinked

kinked Members

It's se-MAN-tic! eg: See that man's jaw twitching uncontrollably son? Well that's a nervous "tic"