Ian McEwan

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Peace-Phoenix, May 11, 2007.

1. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I thought since I'm going to be starting on UEA's Creative Writing MA soon, I should become acquainted with the course's most famous alumnus. I finished 'Amsterdam' recently and really enjoyed it. I can see why he gained his Ian Macabre title. I felt the book should have been longer. There was so much there that could have been fleshed out and developed to have made it even stronger. What was there was a very solid structure for a very interesting book. Nevertheless, he has a powerful writing style and a keen eye for plot twists. You get the feeling he is Zeus, playing Hera at chess with Perseus and Jason for pawns. Recently picked up 'Saturday' and am about to start on that. It looks interesting, and seems to be dealing with some of the political themes that form the backdrop to my novel. Does anyone else like or loath McEwan? Have you got any recommendations for my next McEwan purchase?

2. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

i'd love to sound all witty and tell you how i think he's a fab author, but i'd never heard of him until you mentioned you were reading the book. he does have a website though, as i just found out which contains a ton of links of comments and criticisms for each of his books. http://www.ianmcewan.com/

3. Peace-Phoenix

Just finished Saturday. It was an interesting book, and also very well written. The trouble is, as well presented as it was, I found the plot a little pedestrian. And whilst politics surfaced frequently in it, I found the politics a little amateurish. In all other accounts it was a very well researched book, the descriptions of neuro surgery were painstakingly detailed, as were the musical and poetic aspects. Alas, given the book was told from the perspective of a single character, I felt McEwan became authorally too close to that character. Therefore, where he spoke his mind on politics, it seemed McEwan was speaking directly through him. I could be wrong, but I found his handling of the war a little too one-sided and lacking in conceptual complexity. That said, I did appreciate the overall message, that of a world facing an uncertain future, though I think that message could have been brought into a more engaging story. The stength/flair for originality of Amesterdam was missing here I thought....

4. Peace-Phoenix

Having read an interview with McEwan I found that the opinions he puts into the main character on the war do seem to be his own, and they were very flimsy. It's made me decide to pen a critical response in my own novel....

5. Moon_Beam

Moon_Beam zaboravljas

My favourite is enduring love! It's brilliantly written ! I have read it over and over again!

6. Peace-Phoenix

I've heard a lot of good things about that, I may go out and buy it....

7. Moon_Beam

Moon_Beam zaboravljas

Do... perhaps give the film a miss though!