I wonder if there is a connection.

Discussion in 'Sexual Health' started by Reverand JC, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I remember hearing a few years ago in a lecture from a holistic gynecologist that girls are starting puberty at a younger age due to the abundance of soy in our diets now. The connection being soy isoflavones are nearly identical to estrogen to the point that a lot of supplements for menopausal women are made from them as an alternative to hormone replacement therapy.

The connection I am curious about has to do with low testoserone. It would seem to me that if soy in our diets are sending girls into puberty younger that it would build up and cause a hormonal imbalance in men later in life. We know that both men and women produce both testoserone and estrogen and that the ratios are different, and I've noticed these issues only being discussed over the last 5 years or so.

Any thoughts?

C/S,
    Rev J

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

I remember there being a topic about the same thing, probably 20 or more years ago, they also said that the next generation will be taller because of hormones in meat etc.. god knows what's next? Because there definitely is a lot more taller kids now.
    Lately there is talk that children born today, are 1 in 4 chances of living to a hundred, probably because of a similar thing!

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think we're also much more prone to bowel cancers because of what's in food these days too.
    I think though that we are aging better in looks in comparison. Now 60 year olds look fit, my grandparents looked twice that age when I was growing up. =p

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Your grandparents grandparents were lucky if they even reached 60. Don't ask what they looked like at that age. Probably 100 or dead :p :D

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The average life expectency has increased, but the age oldest people live to hasnt

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2016/10/5/13176068/longevity-study-ceiling-old-age-limit

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Rev, we were also told that children were growing faster and maturing younger because of orange juice, access to milk in cities, and generally more calories.

Soy has estrogen mimicking aspects.
    As someone trying to get phytoestrogens to be helpful, I can tell you it's a crap shoot.

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Why would anyone want to live past age 100 anyway? After 80, life just seems to be a series of aches and pains and attending all of your loved one's funerals.

1 person likes this.
  8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Heavier girls start puberty earlier than thinner girls, the obesity "epidemic" more likely a cause than one singular food type

Also certain races hit puberty earlier than others, South Pacific Islanders top the list, or used to

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

And they all smell bad

10. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I note that the condition is called "low T", not "high E".

Bio-chemicaly, testosterone and estrogen(s) are not opposites or competitive.

1 person likes this.
  11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

My POV exactly. I don't feel like having +20 extra years if it is with diapers and the greatest highlights of the day are still being able to reach the pavement in front of the house and finding out my bedsores didn't grow..!

12. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I believe it has more to do with one of the most powerful forces in nature, the continuation of the species.
    Chronic stressful living conditions has been noted as a very viable reason for early onset of puberty;

Early Puberty and Evolution
    The new research adds support to the theory that earlier sexual development among girls in response to family and other stress may have an evolutionary basis.
    The thinking is that children who grow up under stressful, and potentially dangerous, conditions have a better chance of having their genes survive if they reach sexual maturity earlier.

https://www.webmd.com/children/news/20071115/stress-linked-girls-early-puberty+36

(there are many, many, many more studies about this, just didn't feel like posting dozens of links)

so with the growth of social media and all the pressures of the constant influx of information, often conflicting information, has produced an underlying atmosphere of stress.
    There are so many factors that add to the overall stress we cope with on a daily basis, that I can easily see that as one of the more powerful mechanism at play here.

Whenever considering anything like this dealing with us human critters, remember that continuation of a species is the numero-uno driving force in nature.

13. buzzgunner

buzzgunner 180 grains of diplomacy Lifetime Supporter

Hah! You wouldn't think so if you could see me! :D

14. buzzgunner

Dead people tend to be like that. ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. buzzgunner

I wondered if earlier puberty also applied to boys, so I did some casual web searching. The results confirmed what I suspected; acceleration of onset of puberty is largely evident in girls only (as I'm sure all of you already knew, or at least supposed.) While this following link (to a 2015 Newsweek article) is by no means the most authoritative one I could find, it does make for a good read.

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/02/06/puberty-comes-earlier-and-earlier-girls-301920.html

One of the data points I found interesting is that, since the beginning of the 20th century, the average age that girls get their period as dropped from 16-17 to 13! As a couple of you have already pointed out, one of the major contributors is to the "epidemic" of childhood obesity. The study also shows that roughly ten percent of girls today begin puberty by age EIGHT, which is double that number from only a generation ago!

At the risk of swerving of into pedophile territory, is it any wonder that so many men go after underage women, given that they look and behave as if they were so much older?

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've also wondered about the growth hormones put in chickens and cows

17. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

If we all lived another 20 years, the aches and pains would come 20 years later, as would our friends and loved ones funerals. I do see a problem in trying to light the 100th candle on my birthday cake before the first one has burnt down and gone out. Ahhhh, problems, problems.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's because the earth is moving slower than it used to. a ten year old girl hitting puberty has actually been alive for the same amount of time as a 13 year old girl hitting puberty a hundred years ago, but since the earth is slowing each year takes more time. i'm sure several professional athletes and youtubers will back me up on this.

1 person likes this.
  19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I can just imagine a typical conversation a few years from now, "Our 8 year old daughter and her 9 year old boyfriend are expecting their first baby next week". LOL.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

And what if ALL those studies are wrong?

"Statistically significant" data sets from over maybe 30/40 years, when there has been 200,000+ years of human evolution

You could dig up thousands of such studies the world over, over the last 30-60 years. tens of thousands of intelligent people pretending they know what they are talking about....and yet we still have no clue,

What would have been considered early onset puberty 2000 years ago? 50,000 years ago, 100,000 years ago, we have no clue and probably never will

Combine that with the millions of variables, everything from different strains of bacteria to fluoride in water, radiation levels, trans fats, Carbon monoxide levels, how do you eliminate all other variables in existance. There is no control group where a bunch of teens only have influence from family stress and nothing else

There is no such thing as evolutionary advantage, evolution for a purpose, thats not how evolutionary theory works, once certain mammals became social they stopped evolving in that way, the weakest do survive

DNA is replicated at the moment of conception, then you are stuck with that copy until you concieve with someone else, no environmental factors alter that gene code in between. For an evolutionary change you'd need a mass population over a thousand generations where only the strongest survive, An evolutionary change in humans over 2 0r 3 generations diue to family stress is nonsensical...but "researchers" will still continue to publish such shit, to get grant money, get a name for themselves, waffle on to people that dont care about scrutiny

Undies is joking here, but all higher order primates including us have a menstrual period that closely follows the moons orbit, maybe, or maybe its an effect of the moons orbit too complicated for us to see, but that was the metronome needed for lower order mammals to evolve into higher order ones. A certain goldilocks range of oxygen content in the air was also needed for higher brain functions, and the earths magnetic field is what keeps the atmosphere including oxygen in place

The point of all this, is its one of those things too complex for us to ever understand, Human females are reaching puberty earlier because of family stress or hormones or whatever. Earlier than what?, what was the average age of the onset of puberty in human females in ethiopia in 20,000 BC, maybe no way for us to ever be able to work that out, so how are we ever going to know how early current "early" is?