I wish we all waved

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by HippyLandscaper, Aug 18, 2005.

1. HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper learning a new way

I have been waving to a lot of people while driving, not a spastic bounce the car wave or anything, just your average raise the hand that is on the wheel a bit wave, and very few people wave back. The other day I waved at probably 50 cars, 2 waved back. Every one else gave me dirty looks or looked away quickly. I was just trying to figure out how everyone got so unfriendly. Maybe the city folk around here are just desencitized to other people, or is everyone just scared of eachother. Ever notice that when you flip someone the bird they always respond? People respond to hatred a lot more than the respond to friendliness.

2. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

People wave too much. I don't have any problem waiving at strangers, but when evreyone does it, its kinda annoying feeling obligated to wave back.

3. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

I just sort of assume that people aren't waiving at me, they're waiving at someone else. I rarely run into people I know, unless I'm on my way to meet them somewhere (especially this one coffee shop... this whole year, every time I've gone I've met someone I know, it's fun. They usually scream my name as loudly as possible though... weird people)

4. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

here's a wave to you all.

5. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

I usually just give a little nod, and only in the morning.

Morning people who are out on foot seem to be friendlier folks for some reason.

Used to be, in this little mountain town I'm hanging in, that just about everybody would ackowledge just about everybody else.
    Since the yuppies (city people) started moving up here in droves things have changed; yuppies will stare and stare as you're walking by but if you smile or nod or acknowledge them in any way they'll either look away real quick or give you a contemptous little sneer.

Makes you feel like an animal in th zoo; the tourists can gawk all they want, they paid the admission price, but if you fix your eyes on them they figure you're thinking about eating them and they'll call the game keepers.

6. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

yea, i say good morning/afternoon/evening or just say hi to many of the locals that live around me even if i don't know them...or sometimes i just nod or something...

7. YellowBellyHippy

YellowBellyHippy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I feel the exact same way. I often wave to people and often let people pull in front of me. They don't even give a thankyou wave :(

8. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I hate it when strangers wave at me. I always think "should I know this guy?" "Is he out to get me?"

And should I return the wave it always turns out they were waveing to someone standing behind me.

9. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

Where I grew up everyone waves at everyone. You pass a car on the road, you wave. You pass a car on the highway, you wave. Not a full hand wave, just a 2 fingers raised from the wheel and moved back and forth wave. It's called the Farmer Wave.

But, there were only maybe 1000 people in the area, so chances were you knew everyone you passed.

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

:) I like it :) a good wave is just a nice little random act of kindness :)

11. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

haha, the farmer wave. I love the farmer wave. When I lived on an acreage everyone used it

12. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

hmm, drivers are usually pretty friendly and courteous here, but this is a very rural area...so that might be the reason or summit :)

tis nice tho'...driving can be stressfull enough without peeps acting like ignorant sods

13. natural23

natural23 Senior Member

Thanks for the thread Landscaper *wave and smile*.

14. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I must admit that if someone I didn't know waved at me while driving past, the first thoughts that would come to my mind are "who the heck is that", "why are they waving", and "they must have mistaken me for someone else". Then, depending on the age (yes, I know, age discrimination against the younger crowd) I might wonder if they're being goofy or sarcastic. Sad, but true.

But I have been smiling at more strangers lately. I'm amazed at how many of them return the smile brightly in return and offer conversation. Many times in the past I would look at strangers almost what you would consider coldly, my facial expression and body laungage shouting "stay away" not a trace of a smile on my face, always on the defensive with those I was not familiar with. But it's amazing how a smile or a hello from a simple stranger can brighten your day.

Occasionally I'll smile at someone and be rewarded with a blank expression, or a scowl, but I always respond with a sarcastic meaning yet chipper sounding "well hello to you too!" and walk away. ;)

15. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

did anyone moon ya?