"I wish people wouldn't judge me by my clothes"

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Sunburst, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

I hear this a lot, and I have to admit: I'm getting quite sick of it. Clothing, although it is unfortunate, is how you are first-judged. People do not want to ask random people what their personalities are like before they meet them, so the best assumption they can make is that you dress how your personality is. People wearing black eyeliner and lipstick with all black clothes are always going to be stereotyped based on what the majority of people looking like that are; that they are quiet and do creepy things and such. People who dress in bellbottoms and tiedyes are going to be assumed to be peace-loving or protest-rousing people who do drugs, because that is what you heard they did in the 60s. People wearing mesh and spiked hair are going to be assumed to start trouble/fights or vandalize, because the only time you actually hear about these guys doing stuff, its usually read in the newspaper and illegal.

Its a fact in our society; people make judgements based on what they see. Thats no problem, its human nature. Its only when they allow the judgements to prevent them from getting to know or when it makes us completely stay away from that person alltogether without being somewhat open-minded, when it becomes a problem.

2. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

I love being judged on my clothes cause it's just fucking amusing to prove people wrong. Some days I wear heavy metal clothing, some days colourful fashionable clothing, some day both at the same time. I'm a walking paradox and not just concerning the way I dress.

3. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

haha... that's why my username was EvilHippy on the old forums... I wanted to create some cultural diffusion in my name. :D

4. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

A few years ago on some forums I can't remember I created an account called AryanJew.

No, I'm not a nazi. No, I'm not Jewish. Yes, I was banned.

5. Mui

Mui Senior Member

Haha thats awesome..

6. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

I knoiw what you mean! I dress randomly between outfits such as: Hippiechick, to punk, to "trendy", to completely different from anything, to like a boy. I love doing as many opposite outfits as I can in a week, and its funny because I feel like Madonna in science (my first class in the morning)! Like everyone's waiting for me to get there just so they can see what the hell I'm wearing that day! lol

I also dressed in black baggy jeans rolled up to my shins, knee-high striped socks, a blavk baggy tshirt with a long-sleeved torn shirt underneath, and with bright lipstick one day to Walmart. I get weird looks from *everyone*, as opposed to very few in my regular ol' bellbottoms and tiedye-type of thing! Then, I would try to change people's views by smiling at children, giving money to the Salvation Army's Kettle Drive, and waving hi to random people.

7. Orsino2

pfft.. I'm the same thing all the time... lotsa cargo shorts, t-shirts, flannel.

8. kier

kier I R Baboon

i get frisked for drugs at the local night club more than half the time i go in :D yay me

i wear comfy clothes on the whole, im crap at fashion and wear what i like...and i aggree, proving people wrong is soo gooood fun!!! some gal came up to me in the club the other night saying that although i apeared quiet i was always partying hard...whatever that means, all i know is rawk on! tehe

9. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I hate stereo-types and the people that stereo-type.
    I cannot remember one time I judged someone based on what they dress like. I have made fun of people, but that's my personality. I get to know someone from what they say rather than their dress.

10. NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387 ~peace~

that was much too long to read. all i have to say is that as human beings we are judgemental by nature, and as much as we may hate and deny it, it's true. while at tower records the other day i was buying my friend the led zeppelin THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME dvd. i couldnt find it so i asked an associate for help. he happened to be wearing a grateful dead shirt. he found the dvd and asked me if i needed any more help. i asked him if he heard the new gwen stefani cd, and when he said yes, i asked him if it was good. he couldnt really give me an answer because although he didnt like it, many others do. i told him i had only asked him because he was wearing a grateful dead shirt, so i could trust his opinion. wow that was too long. sorry...

11. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I don't wear mesh when I go to pick fights. :D

12. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

I wear polka-dot tights.

Ahaha... judge that, bitches. :D

13. NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387 ~peace~

so you must listen to polka... lol i dont know

14. Orsino2

We've seen them. :eek:

15. lover/young_peace

Yeah... so? :p

16. Bloody_Kisses

Bloody_Kisses Thizzler

those tights arouse me. i seen them today at target. you should sue them, katie!

i have striped socks that go up to my thighs. i have them in like six different colors, and i mismatch them and wear them with little skirts. now a bunch of people copy me :confused:

were trendsetters :rolleyes: ugh...

17. lover/young_peace

good, me too. :)

*gasp* I should!

That's arousing. :)

Ahaha... I know... I hate it when you get something new or have a new idea, and then everybody starts doing it or wearing it. It takes away the fun. :p

18. Orsino2

I know... that's like gay sex... everybody is turning it into a trend... I hate it when you get something new or have a new idea, and then everybody starts doing it or wearing it. It takes away the fun.

That's arousing. :D

19. lover/young_peace

That was arousing.

20. NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387 ~peace~

exactly. i had patch pants (those jeans with 1000 different colors of denim patches in them) in 90s before anyone, suddenly come the 2000-2001 EVERYONE had them! i was so embarrassed! but now no one is wearing them except me! also i've always worn a hemp peace sign necklace, and this girl at work started wearing a silver one. man was i pissed. also dont sue target! i love target, yesterday i bought 2 shirts for $1.74 each, 2 skirts for $6.98 each and a shirt for $5.58. come on thats like a new wardrobe for under $40!