I WISH IT WAS THE 70s damnit

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by helzie, Sep 27, 2004.

1. helzie

helzie Member

i wish it was the 60s/70s!

I'd follow all the fucking rockin bands....

2. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

When I saw the heading, I somehow knew that the poster wasn't actually someone who had lived in the 70's.

3. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Just as long as there is no disco.

"Death Before Disco!!!"

4. arlia

arlia Members

people say i was born in the wrong time really.....
    iv never fit in2 my generation?????
    and i still think robert plant is sexy,even though his gettin on a bit now
    *cries*

5. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

I hear ya sista!

and yes, no disco ... disco = bad

but I think it would be better if it was 1968, because thats when it was really good, people started to loose their way in the 70s :(

6. JanaXGIRL

JanaXGIRL Senior Member

oh hey, my favorite phrase is "I wish I was born in the 50's to be able to go with Hippies in the 60's.." :)

7. arlia

arlia Members

genius idea,i like it

8. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

The 70's were a BLAST! Except for '76' and '79' for me personally.
    I'd do it all again the same way!

9. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

I was born in '72, so my memories of the 70's are fleeting. I do know that the politically correct generation of today would NOT like the politically incorrect tone's of the 70's, although I do remember the general vibe as being WAAAAAAAYYYY more laid back than today. There are good and bad thing's about the 70's, just like with any decade.

10. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

My favorite year besides 67 and 69 will always be 1978. It was the end of the sixites and I returned to my family in Boston from NYC for a year to later go on another 9 year escape from the mundane, yet the mudane was pretty groovy for that year.
    After that I explored the west coast and actually living on the road lilke Bobby Mc Gee.

11. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

I live very close to Boston, South Shore......about 10 min's south of Boston.

12. Goddess Om

Goddess Om Member

The 70's? Ok if you like bad shoes, bad hair, bad fashion, bad jewellery. Ok if you like silver metallic jumpsuits, platform soles, social stereotyping, and the tightest of tight jeans ...hey, maybe that's why so many of them sang in falsetto?

13. MusicMan19

MusicMan19 Music Elitist

Well, that's all subjective, I guess. I love the long hair, the tight jeans/cords, the overdriven rock music (that has really died, I think we can admit that,... the Strokes aren't Led Zeppelin or the Stones), and the hemp and silver cholmac jewelry. The social stereotyping I'm not certain about, but the silver-jump suits and platform shoes were disco, and while they were in the seventies, it would be fairly easy to avoid them. I'm assuming it's about as easy for a hippie/rocker in today's world to avoid the "urban" guys as it was for the hippies and rockers to avoid the disco fans in the '70s, - that is pretty easy.

I wasn't part of the seventies, so I can't speak from experience, but as far as I can tell they were better and our generation and the '90s just went to hell. This is subjective, but I'd say that emotion and depth are just simply missing from the music and the people of Gen. Y. Which rocker or hippie in his or her right mind would want to be part of something like this? If you're into rap, or the violent, talentless, 'staight-edge' hardcore scene (ala Boston and New York) then this generation's world is your oyster, but beyond that, your pretty fucked. I find it pretty funny, also, that people say Marijuana makes you violent and decadent, and then you have this whole 'straight' scene that's simply beating the fuck out of each other for no reason. Let's compare Woodstock 1969 to any of the underground Boston shows. It's just messed up. They'll beat the hell out of you for simply wearing a tye-dye t-shirt. The "Boston Beatdown" videos are sick. What's sicker still is the rate at which these videos are purchased.

1990s/2000s = Rock music is dead, but the two genres that encourage violence are the two most popular genres of our generation. Long hair is 'out', and doo-rags are 'in',... "my beautiful girl" is 'out' and "ma hoe" is 'in', peace and love is 'out' and "kill dat mothafucka and his family" is in. The only thing I love about these days is the incredible technology. I think I could very easily give this up for being part of a better, more creative, more mellow, more accepting generation.

14. RetroGroove_Grrl

that ... was beautiful

15. MusicMan19

MusicMan19 Music Elitist

haha, thank you. I wasn't going for beautiful, and that's just my stupid opinion, but thanks anyway. I'd like to go in a time machine to the seventies. I guess until then Humboldt county will have to do!

16. arlia

arlia Members

wowwwwiiiiies! waynes world!

heheheh!
    i love waynes world!

17. sonik

sonik Member

meh Id like to be about 15 in 1955. great cars and then you would get to live through all the original rock n roll plus experience the best era of music ever 1965-75 imo.

[​IMG]

18. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

If people keep thinking thoughts like "rock is dead" then it really will be...

Anyway, yea the 70's, I remember listening to T Rex and Bowie in my crib as a newborn baby in 1972...I would always put on black eyeliner and silver eyeshadow and my mom would always get upset and call me effeminate. I wasn't into the hippy scene really, I preferred the showmanship of glam rock...not to mention the gender bending aspects.

luckily, since i was age 2 at the end of the Vietnam war, I did not have to go.

As the 70's wore on, I began to wear the tacky plaid pants that were the rage in my kindergarten class...they matched my sparkly red Schwinn bike, which I rode to the pinball arcade.

EDIT: I finally found a pic of me from the 70's!!!!

19. RetroGroove_Grrl

mmmm marc bolan :)

20. sonik

sonik Member

his lyrics made no sense but how can you not like T.Rex?

even tyranesauros rex had its moments, and johns children was brilliant if not half cocked.