I want to

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Skratch, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Skratch

Skratch Member

My family is thinking about growing our own food and just eating all natural stuff (you know the way we started out) I still want to eat meat but the only way I would eat any is if I killed the cow myself so I know there werent any added shit in the meat, and since im not up to killing animals I was wondering if there is any substitue for meat? or does anyone have any suggestions to keep me full because it just seems like im going to be hungry all the time just eating veggies and whatnot.

2. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Just play along with the rest of your family and nip out for the odd burger.

3. peacegal

peacegal Member

Soy is one of the most readily-available and authentic substitutes for meat. Look in your grocery store's freezer section--there are countless types of tasty meatless burgers, sausages, chicken, and more.

You can use these products to wean yourself away from meat. Eventually, you can cut out the middleman and make your own tasty vegetable-based burgers, soups, chili, and more. Soy crumbles, seitan, and textured vegetable protien (TVP) can be purchased inexpensively and you can use them in a variety of recipes. Just do a search on Amazon or similar book site for vegetarian cookbooks--there are hundreds.
    It should be also noted that beans and mushromms are filling and full of protein, and can easily replace meat in many meals. For instance, make bean burritos instead of beef burritos, or eat a sub sandwich with grilled slices of portabella mushrooms instead of meat strips.