I wanna go vege

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Paz, May 13, 2004.

1. Paz

Paz Member

I want to go vegetarian and eventually vegan for several reasons. The thing is i'm not sure if I can...there's so much food that I love that I couldn't eat. How hard is it really to stop eating and stay off meat, because right now it seems impossible.

2. Megara

Megara Banned

can i ask why you want to go vege when there are foods you love that you wouldnt be able to enjoy? Health reasons?

3. joe

joe Banned

all i can say is good luck, but it wouldnt be right for your body to quit all at once or you can have complications, you dont need to go to extreme types of vegenism right away if you really want to for the health of it all, do it slowly

4. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Slow is the way to go.The change should be done like that for it make going veg more easy on body and mind.Start with one or two things of meat that you eat and cut them from your diet.There is so many vegi foods out that tast like meat that change over can be smother.anothing is way the reasons why you want to do this.Good luck.

5. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Well... if you're doing it for ethical reasons then it might make it easier for you to go veg. It was for me anyway. Meat and dairy were constant reminders of the death and misery of the things that I love so I made the transition pretty quickly and fairly painlessly. The initial cravings are the hardest to deal with though so weening yourself is a good idea. Also you will feel hungry a lot while your body adjusts to it's new diet. Don't worry about this for your body will adapt and metabolise itself properly, provided you eat a good veg diet. You've got to make sure you're getting enough nutrition from your foods.. eating healthy is the key to a successful vegetarian/ vegan diet. I started with all meat first and then cut out the dairy. I feel superb for it too! I eat a fair amount of soy stuff like Veggie Ground Round and Vegan Rella soy cheese and Tofutti Cuties for dessert( when I'm craving dessert of an ice cream nature). Now I don't miss meat or dairy at all, as there are some great subsitutes out there that have taken the place of those cravings for me. I can't believe I ever consumed them. And even though I eat ' fake meats' I never crave the real thing anymore ever. Good luck to you! I'm personally cheering you on to becoming a successful vegan!

6. dotadave

dotadave Member

It's easier than you think. Start buying the alternatives.

7. veinglory

veinglory Member

You can just trying cutting the meat a bit, reduction is better than nothing in my book. ;)

8. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

Well, it's gonna be a lot easier to go vegan if you do it one step at a time... cutting out meat is your first option :). I don't know how much you eat it right now, but I used to be a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge junk food fan, I ate a lot of meat, and it was fairly easy for me to give it up. The only time I had any cravings was when I was really, really hungry, then I'd eat anything (but I didn't eat meat). So make sure you have some snacks handy all the time. :)

I'm not vegan... yet... so I can't really give you any points on that...

All I can say is good luck and congratulations on making the decision!! :)

Sonja

9. jendi17

jendi17 Member

I've been a vegetarian for about 6 months, and I'm not a total vegan yet. i just don't eat meat. It's not that hard to cut the meat out. After i stopped eating meat for about 2-3 months, I kept getting cravings for meat, but once you get over those cravings its really easy. Now the sight of meat makes me sick. I eventually want to become a Vegan or go on a raw food diet. but i don't really know much about being a total vegan, just a vege.

10. minjeig

minjeig Member

fake meat was a huge help to me! theres some reaalllllly good kinds out there, the hotdogs (in my opinion) are better than the real thing

11. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Check out the vegetarian starter kit at www.cok.net

It might seem daunting, it for me. I was thinking 'Fuck I could never be vegan. No chocolat, icecream or bacon sandwiches.' then realised I could live without the last one (and have for 11 months).
    Once I'd hung out here for a while and read up on the issues it was really quite easy. I just snapped one day and haven't touched that bloody stuff since.

Don't think it terms of what you'll be missing. Focus instead on all the fab new foods you'll be eating. With regards cutting down vs cold tofu (cold turkey, minus ironic connotions) do whichever feels best.

Think positive. You'll get there in the end. :)

Good luck.

TTFN

Sage

12. cousinit

cousinit Member

im giving up meat myself, but Im a real spice fanatic, I usually cant taste the actuall meat, unless its just grilled steak or something.

I made up my usuall chillyfor supper tonight, minus the 1 1/2 lb hamburger . I honestly cant tell its missing

1 can red kidneybeens
    1 pimento
    8 fresh chilly peppers
    1 onion
    1 large tomato diced
    diced artichoke hearts
    3 table spoons cumin
    2 table spoons powdered cayen peper
    1 table spoon red chilly powder
    1 pack premix chili powder
    1/4 cup dark beer (guiness)
    small can of tomato paste
    1/2 treaspoon of each nutmeng, cinamon ( more for nose than taste)
    4 shots Bowmore single malt scotch (adds smokyness)

serve on buns or toast, makes enough for couple people

13. SweeperOfDreams13

SweeperOfDreams13 Member

Just cut the meat intake down slowly. Once the meat is completely eliminated from your diet, just hang in there for a while before you forget what it tastes like. Try to make meat sound really bad and nasty and disgusting (it is!).
    Uh, There is more, but I see a small dog and I want to pet it, so I'll stop typing now.