I thought Hippies avoided cliches???

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Curious_Jane, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Curious_Jane

Curious_Jane Member

I am sorry but I thought that what the hippy was all about was non conformaty and being you for you? All this talk of showers and drugs and one type of music seems to contradicted that does'nt it? I mean hippy snould not be based on what you do or don't do it's just in you ya know??? Love Life and people leave the chliches to the "MAN"....

PEACE,LOVE,FAITH
    Curious_Jane
    ;)

2. spooner

spooner is done.

no hippies here... just people.

3. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

yup i made a post about that in the uk flyology forum. i hate cliches, but i fall into the hippy category, cos that's what i'm like as a person. i'm not always on drugs, though i love peace and doing my own thing. i'm into all music but death metall....

4. snelio37

snelio37 Member

i don't do drugs, i listen to other kinds of music too (although i don't know the type you were talking about in the first place) and i shower every day ( mostly).

5. Curious_Jane

Curious_Jane Member

It's not that hippies are above cliches its just everyone talks about DRUGS and 60's music and thats great and it dose relate to hippies but there is SO MUCH MORE than if we shower daliy or what drug we prefer to do!!! I know people who have been hippies there whole life and never touched a cig let alone a joint or drugs some are quite conservative. I just think there are more to "HIPPIES" than the basic's. But I do like hearing everyones stories and questions.

6. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Well seeing as how the hippie movement started with drugs and 60's music (in the 60's, even!).... you'd think that those would have to be incorporated into being a "hippie"....

7. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

The term "Hippie" itself is a huge cliche. By trying to pigeonhole yourself you are sort of buying into a stereotype and losing a bit of your own originality

8. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Everyone here who claims to be a hippie is a cliche.

9. water_dreamer

water_dreamer I

not trying to offend anyone here..which i probably will anyway. but ive come to noticed that hippies dont conform unless its to a hippie stereotype, and when they do they won't admit it.

10. Tamee

Tamee naked

Yeah, like when they come to this site labeled "HIP forum" and more specifically "Hippies" which this is posted under...think think think

11. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

I don't like pies.

12. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I post here because this is the only place on the net that I've met so many people that think like me and have simliar intrests. Call me what you want, I don't care. Sure there are some people out there trying to pose as a "hippie" but they're just trying to find who they are and their place in the world. We've ALL done that at one point or another on our lives.

A lot of the people talk about the same stuff because that is what they are interested in. But note there are MANY subjects here to talk about. Not just "hippie" stuff.

I really wish people would stop asking questions like this. It comes up almost daily. My opinion is that we should all live and talk how we wish, and not focus on labels. Forget about whether or not some people here are "real" hippies and focus on themselves. It doesn't affect you in any way, if people are posing or not living up to what you consider a hippie. Let them figure it out for themself and focus on your attitude.

13. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I've been called a "Hippie" more this last year then any time in my life, and mostly by my own family. While in AZ some co-workers called me a gypsy for awhile cuz I moved so much.
    Guess my family calls me a hippy cuz I move alot and don't keep alot of material stuff with me...as it's easier to travel on the greyhound bus without alot of stuff and besides it would all turn into clutter in the house if I went out every payday and bought "stuff".
    This last summer I did buy 3 tie-dyed t-shirts and my cousin has been surprised that I haven't bought plain white nursing scrubs and tie-dyed them yet to work in.
    With 7 kids all with different taste in music I get to hear everything..whether it's the "60's hippie music" or lots of new stuff that people would sometimes say that hippies don't listen to.
    I'm against war, haven't filed my IRS tax forms for 5 years, love going barefoot,
    recycle sometimes, love nature & the environment, and will go months at a time being vegetarian (off & on..once for about 18 months), have homeschooled a few of my kids in the past & 1 son was born at home (that was my choice).....if all that makes me a hippy then fine, so be it.

14. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

I think many people are hippies really, but being a hippy doesnt mean trying to NOT be a stereotype if you are. though there ar two types of hippies

and both types overlap but have one difference. a fake hippy dresses and acts like a real hippy whereas a real hippy lives and feels like a hippy. but since the world sees things by face value, this leads to fake hippies (who have the face value) beeing seen just as hippies, but also leading hippies to look like hippies too!
    I believe i am a hippy because i am one of the most layed back, careless, caring, honest, passionate, and true to myself people i know, and im prowd enough to say it.

though i dont believe hippies look like hippies because the stereotype was created in the 60's, so 'hippies' should conform to it all. i believe that hippy culture will essentially stay in teh same direction, and since hippism was most prominient back then, the music was MADE for hippies, the fashion was MADE by hippies, and the showers were AVOIDED by hippies.

15. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

argh the stupidity!!!

you're contradicting yourself by saying that we have to conform to your non-conformity to be a hippy.

16. Curious_Jane

Curious_Jane Member

I think you are alittle confused friend I NEVER said ANYONE had or should conformed to my way of thinking or anyones for that matter!!! All I was saing was that there is more to a Hippy than weither or not we shower on a daily,weekly, or monthly bases. The whole idea that a person is considered anyone lable because of there hygene or personal prefrenece's in anything keeps people locked in one mind set!!! This is a good web site because we are all different RIGHT? Not because of what we do or don't do!!! And yes hippy is a lable it's unavoidable in this world not to be labled but by avoiding silly questions like how often we shower we can keep it at a minum!!!!

PEACE,LOVE,FAITH

17. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

we all know that. Someone has to say it at least once a day to answer these dumb questions.

18. Curious_Jane

Curious_Jane Member

I call myself a " HIPPY " because of the feeling I got inside when I was 15 when I went to a Tom Petty concert and met some of the most smart, talented, caring and, happy people I had ever seen. From then on I knew what I wanted to put out to the world ya know? and the name hippy was what they called me!!!! Simple as that....

19. Phsh Melt

Phsh Melt Member

The only time I'm EVER called a "hippie" is by people who dont understand what my lifestyle is about. They are closeminded and choose to label me but my friends who understand what I'm about would NEVER use the term...because the whole point is that I can be whoever I want to be and expect not to be judged for it....so if I wanna be a cliche, I'll be a cliche....and so on! :D

But in case you were wondering, I dont do drugs, I shower when I'm dirty, I like 60's music and jambands and most of all i like doing my thing and goin wherever the mood takes me.

20. Curious_Jane

Curious_Jane Member

Thats pretty much me to !!! As far as going were the mood takes me!!! I hope NO one was offened by this whole conversation I in NO way judge anyone for there questions so if it came off that way then SORRY!!!! I did not mean for it to sound that way!!! I like reading all the post and a little debate never hurt anyone right???

PEACE, LOVE