I Thought Democrats Loved Taxes?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Motion, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Am I the only one finding this strange? I mean Democrats want gov't to play a larger role in the economy but in order for that to happen it will require tax dollars so why are these Democrats being stingy with paying their own taxes?

2. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Daschle just withdrew.

3. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

Because you can only create so much money.

And you can only ask so much of the american people.

I believe that the dollar is near its breaking point.

Hang on for a bumpy ride.

4. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Daschle. a poor choice, Washington insider, lobbyist, profiting from his connections, a cheater and tax violator who did not give the Obama team the straight-up on his situation when it was requested.

5. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

You just practically described every politician on capitol hill...

6. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You just practically described every politician on capitol hill...

And nearly every college grad who majored in PolSci and related fields, even those with no political ambitions. Is there anyone formally educated in public policy who hasn't sought to cash in on it by making a good living on the same? The aggressiveness of those folks varies widely, at least. There's a big difference between an environmental activist and Duke Cunningham, for instance.

7. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I think it's high time all officials had a credibility check by a complete financial disclosure. Should have been standard procedure all along, democrat or republican.

8. Motion

Motion Senior Member

One problem I see for Barack in relation to this is that I think he's making the mistake of over talking about transparency and ethics too much. By doing this he's putting more of a spotlight on every mistake or precieved mistake in his administration. So instead of talking about transparency just be transparent. Instead of talking about ethics just be ethical.

9. gardener

Exactly, I want to see action not just empty talk, and a request for waivers. There is honest talent out there. The cabinet doesn't have to be made up of insiders. In fact we voted for CHANGE!

10. gardener

We've been told a rising economy raises all boats, the problem has always been that many of us didn't own boats. I would think when the economy tanks, a lot of those boats should be allowed to run aground and/or sink, and those of us toiling onshore honestly should be given some consideration. Instead of wasting all our efforts on throwing bailout/lifejackets to the very people that breached the dam and sent all the water downstream.

Let them flow downstream in the whitewater and wash with the flotsam and jetsam. Let's focus on plugging those holes from the now dry/honest side.