i think im gana start my dreads tdy i need help plz

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by marley420, Feb 6, 2009.

1. marley420

marley420 Member

tdy i think im gana start my knotty journey but idk how to go about starting them my mom is gana do them for me shes been a hairstylist for about 16 or so years but shes never dun dreads so any info on how to start them or any good videos becuz i cant seem to find any good videos on how to start them

thanks and jah bless

and these are sum pics that i took this morning of my hair

2. enayes

enayes Member

Stop brushing.
    Wash with a residue-free soap.
    Chill.

3. amybird

amybird Senior Member

4. Merrivale

Merrivale Senior Member

Do whatever you're comfortable with, just avoid wax, it's the devil.

5. marley420

marley420 Member

thanks for the help guys my mom is back combing my hair and rip and twisting them as im typeing this haha im so excited to see my hair knotty i was wondering when i shld wash my hair again and if i can play wit them and twist/palm roll them after shes dun back combing im so excited to start my dread journey ive been waitin to get dreads since last year ill post sum pics of my hair after shes dun back combin

thanks for all the help again peace and jah bless

6. Merrivale

Merrivale Senior Member

Man, if you pick any ten pages within this forum and pick out the relevent threads you'll find all you need to know. If you haven't already just read, read and read. I know it may seem tiresome, but it's a good lesson in patience for the journey you have ahead of you. As a rule of thumb if you're head itches wash it, don't worry about them comming apart they'll do that anyway unless you have seriously curly hair, in which case you shouldn't be doing anything to them other than washing them. Just be gentle with them when you wash to start with and don't fiddle too much with them.

7. marley420

marley420 Member

yea ive been on this site since last year around this time and ive read alot of stuff on here this is prolly one of my favorite places to go to on hipforums im lovein the way my hair looks right now even tho ik that the next couple months its gana b a pain and there gana get lose but ik theyll look great in the end

8. marley420

marley420 Member

i thought of another question after i got my hair dun how long shld i leave the rubber bands in for cuz i only wana leave em in until tmrw or the next couple days
    and shld i wear a wool hair or sum kind of hat right now or wait a couple days

9. Merrivale

Merrivale Senior Member

I know it seems hard to begin with, I think many people were like it when they first started thinking about/growing dreadlocks. Just chill and try to forget what you're trying to achieve otherwise you'll go crazy. Take the bands off, they're not going to help. Sure you can wear a wool hat if you want, right now if you feel like it if the weather's not too warm! Sorry I'm just being stupid. Point is don't go mad about thinking, if I do this, this'll happen or if I do that that'll happen. The main factor is time! Relax it'll all come good in time.

10. marley420

marley420 Member

merrivale thanks man yea i live in upstate ny so the weathers alil chilly here right now haha yea ik patients is the name of this game and deff a cool lesson u learn jst from doin yur hair thanks for all the help guys im deff ready for this journey im so excited that ive got my hair started and im on the long journey of have knotty hair

thanks everyone for the help and i hope u have as much fun as i am on the dready journey

peace everyone