I see the Iranians are becoming Bolshie !!!

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by Vladimir Illich, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They've apparently 'detained' a British Tanker in the Gulf of Hormuz. We're already sending a gunboat :laughing::laughing::laughing:. But wait isn't the gunboat that's on its way one of those new fangled type 45 destroyers that have trouble with their salt water outlet in warm seas??? I do hope there's a tug boat somewhere in the vicinity to rescue it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Being a Historical Wargamer and follower of military history the Middle East has always been a potential Powder Keg . You have Arab Countries on one hand and they are not always united surrounding what some people term as an illegal state of Israel ( a staunch ally of the USA) as set up by the UN in 1948 . Then you have the Persian neighbour of Iran who have always seen unrest with the Arab country of Iraq , hence the Iran- Iraq war of the 80s.

Dr Henry Kissenger made a comment some time ago in the 70s basically stating that if there was a third world war then this would likely happen in the Middle East and not Europe . There is something about that statement that is now ringing true today .

3. Vladimir Illich

Yes, but the point I was trying to make concerns what ships the UK Government had sent - this one: HMS Duncan - Google Search:

The problem is, this type of vessel has had major propulsion problems, particularly in warmer waters like the Persian Gulf.
    Putting the Type 45 propulsion problems in perspective | Save the Royal Navy

4. Captain Scarlet

I don't think that would worry me too much unless it actually broke down . Our former main battle tank the Chieftain has been plagued with engine problems which was the mainstay of BOAR in the 70s but was still very much respected by the Soviets. Sorry I am digressing a little here.

I think you need to keep an eye on the US Navy activity in that area. They have some capital warships in that area.

5. Vladimir Illich

Another reason to be a trifle worried - the safest place to be when American military are about is behind them - too many 'friendly fire' incidents to be in front of them !!!

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

How is that statement now ringing true today as 1) it has always been a potential powder keg and 2) WW3 has not commenced yet?

7. Captain Scarlet

True. But it was always thought that if WW3 started it would be in Europe hence the deployment of forces by the UK ,Canada and USA to bolster the existing European forces in that area to face off the Soviets stationed .I don't like using the term NATO as France was not a member . Perhaps I should have used the phrase beginning to ring true . Just my opinion but I think it will potentially escalate due to the sanctions placed on Iran . Also you have the Donald Trump and the Boris element . Both unknowns when it comes to handling overseas pressure.

One thing I am not certain on is the role of Russia in all of this . Iran dislikes the West but also dislikes Russia but obtains military assistance from China .China is also Iran's number one customer for oil .Therefore could China be dragged in ? There are lots of if and buts . One things for certain its not looking too clever .

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  8. Captain Scarlet

Yes I think you are right . We lost more troops and equipment on one day through friendly fire in the Third Gulf War . IIRC a USA Warthog opened fire on a British Warrior APC,sadly destroying it and its occupants .