I never want to see the pay gap myth here again

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by BoyTheo, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoyTheo

BoyTheo Member

You feminists are all liars.

Not all females are evil liars though, although all the ones who have replied to me HERE have been, so far. Here is a website made by some females who aren't all about victim power:

http://www.iwf.org/issues/issues_detail.asp?ArticleID=56

Cold Sweat
    Looking for Discrimination in all the Wrong Places: A New Congressional Report on the ÒWage GapÓ
    by CharlotteÊHays
    12/10/2003

A new congressional report claims that, even when the life choices women make are factored into the financial equation, there is still a Òwage gapÓ of around 20 percent between what women and men earn.

Quick to spot sexism, if not outright misogyny, Democratic Rep. Carolyn Maloney of New York insisted that this only goes to show that Òmen get an inherent annual bonus just for being men.Ó Wow.

If only it were true.Ê TheyÕd then have more to spend on us!Ê But thereÕs a problem with MaloneyÕs avowal: ItÕs simply not borne out by the study which -- oh by the way -- was conducted by the General Accounting Office at the request of Maloney and Democratic Rep. John Dingell of Michigan. In fact, according to the Associated Press, ÒThe study could not explain the reasons for the earnings difference.Ê Commissioned to find discrimination, the best the study could do was find ÒexpertsÓ who, according to the AP, ÒspeculatedÓ that the gap Òcould be due to discrimination.ÓÊ Hmmm.Ê They also speculate it could be due to Òthe decision by some women to forgo career advancement for family-friendly jobs that offer more flexibility and less stress.Ê It further reports that women frequently trade higher earnings for flexibility or time with their children or other pursuits. This is more in keeping with the Independent WomenÕs Forum findings in a study entitled ÒWomenÕs Figures: The Economic Progress of Women in America.ÓÊ Here we raised the issue of womenÕs life choices as a factor in what they earn, daring to suggest that choices, rather than sexism, accounted for much of the Òwage gap.ÓÊ When we compared apples with apples -- childless men and women between 23 and 27 -- the wage gap disappeared.

The very study requested by Maloney and Dingell finds similar choice-based wage disparities. For example, almost nine out of 10 men are employed full time compared with only one in three women.Ê And how Ôbout the marriage gap?Ê The study finds that married men earn about 8.3 percent more than men whoÕve never been married. Why does Maloney, who has no problem pulling a sex-discrimination rabbit out of the hat of Òexpert speculationÓ not find this marriage gap evidence of discrimination based on marital status?Ê Is there not an Òinherent annual bonusÓ just for being married?Ê

At IWF, we continue to find that women are more in control of our own fates than Ms. Maloney would like to concede.Ê Preferring Òspeculation by expertsÓ over the actual facts in the study, Maloney and Dingell want to establish a research center at some public university to study the alleged wage gap. As the Associated Press put it, such a center would Òstudy potential solutions and publish information for employers and employees.Ó Solutions to what? The on the job gap? The study found that, on average, men work 2,147 hours a year compared to 1,675 hours for women.Ê Should men be forced to work less? Should women be coerced into working more? We suggest a federally funded institute to study this looming problem.

2. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

go away cock male oppressor!!!

:rolleyes:

3. veinglory

veinglory Member

Leanr to cut and paste, and think.

If women earn more because they spend more time raising children, that's still a gap. No-one says the gap is caused by chromosomal sex, it's caused by discrimination. i.e. child raising not being shared equally between both parents. So to earn like a man you have to never have kids, but men can have it either way.

4. dotadave

dotadave Member

Thank you.

5. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

BoyTheo, no one cares what you think. this is probably the worst place to post your theories. your not "doing a service" to anyone. women love men, stop feeling persecuted, and stop persecuting these fine ladies who are trying to do good for themselves.

6. dotadave

dotadave Member

7. Megara

Megara Banned

no offense, but dont have a kid then. We all make choices in life that effect the way we live and how we live. Kids is one of them, they can be a hassle and very time consuming.

8. dotadave

dotadave Member

Men aren't expected to be baby factories like women are.

9. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

By all means, then NO ONE should do it. Life is too damn hard to do anything that is a hassle or "time consuming." Everyone should just lay around and watch TV all day. THAT most could handle. <please note heavy sarcasm>

Boo hoo, life is hard. Gee didja just figure that out? Don't do anything that might be a challenge. Although you are right, stilanas, there are some people who probably should not be reproducing. Can you imagine if some of these misogynists had a daughter? Or what they might teach a son? Scary.

10. Megara

Megara Banned

how is that misogynist? god, grow up and stop calling names. We ALL make choices in life that can effect our income(our work hours, where we live, if we want kids or not(THIS EFFECTS BOTH SEXES, though it effects women more NORMALLY), etc, etc.

Who cares what women are "expected to do." Do what you want to do. If you want to have kids, can you expect to make as much as someone who doesnt, when you have to miss work to take care of the kid, have to work more flexible hours to be around the kids? Society needs people to take care of kids, men or women, whoever takes care of the kids more(normally women), will most likely suffer in their career, but thats how it should be.

call me a misogynist all you want, it has nothing to do with women, but the one who primarily takes care of the kid. If i am the one responsible for the kids, i dont expect to make as much as someone who can devote more time to the company than me. You shouldnt expect it either

11. jiimaan

jiimaan Banned

Who says women are supposed to be "baby factories"?

12. jiimaan

jiimaan Banned

Actually, I was wonder that about you; I can only wonder what your children must endure with you, in particular if you have a son. Many of the problems that we have with boys and men nowadays seems to come from a breakdown of traditional values, a process in which radical feminism has been in the forefront. Allowing radical feminists such as yourself to raise young boys is akin to allowing a peadophile raise little girls. It's abhorant, and morally reprehensible.

13. renee

renee Member

I'm not a liar and I'm a girl. :cool: I'm too honest really! :eek:

14. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

Kids or NOT, no one is going to tell me that women are not discriminated against - especially in hiring and in getting raises and promotions. I have been TOLD on TWO DIFFERENT OCCASIONS that I couldn't be given a job because I was a woman. In neither case did the job require male physical strength. It was simply, "Oh, we don't really hire women" or "I don't want a woman in this position."

On the last job I worked, a mental health case management unit, the director left his position. A woman WITH a master's degree who worked at the place for 8 years (and been in MH for something like 15) who was KNOWN for being particularly competent, who worked well with the people she supervised, who was honest, intelligent, AND well-liked was passed over for the promotion, and a younger, less experienced MAN with only a BA was hired for the position. I saw this all the time in mental health - almost ALL the employees in MH are women, but almost ALL the directors are MEN - with the running joke almost always being about how incompetent the directors are, and how the women subordinates are really running everything.

There's little you can do about it, because since most of the employees are women, it's difficult to prove discrimination. But it's there - and I suspect that if it's there in a "socially-motivated" field, it's quadrupled in the business world.

15. Megara

Megara Banned

sue them. Sex based discrimination is illegal.

As for the example you provided..sorry, but there are a number of reasons of why they could have hired the guy instead of the woman. 1) age discrimination is VERY prevalent in america. 2) if they hire someone with less education they can pay them less. It sucks. But the only person who will ever know why someone wasnt hired is the one who is doing the hiring. Everyone is too quick to blame someone for racism/sexism/everyotherism. It does happen. It is unfortunate, but its not always the case.

16. dotadave

dotadave Member

No one in particular but there is a social norm of women having to stay home and raise the baby while the guy goes to work and advance his "glorious" career.

17. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

You don't know me, you don't know my children, and you have no idea what is good for MY children. You seem to assume that I do not espouse "family values" (you called me a whore in an other thread, yet I have very had a very disciplined sex life and NEVER had a sexual fling, nor a number of partners) yet you always ignore my posts which do espouse them. And FTR, where am I a "radical feminist?" I am home with my children. My having a son is Akin to a PEDOPHILE ?

You are clueless and sad and know nothing about the rearing of children, REAL family life (as you don't have one) or male female relations (as you don't have that either.) You are resentful and angry that people who don't agree with you have something that you can only dream about, yet you can't understand why you don't get it. You assign a lifestyle to me that isn't true. You don't know me, yet you ASSUME you do, because you have only a few roles you think womyn fall into.

I hope your ludicrous remarks are seen as what they really are by others.

18. dotadave

dotadave Member

but but but radical feminists kill their kids when their pregnant and make their boys wear dresses! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.