I need to crash my computer please help

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by ODESSAWEST, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ODESSAWEST

ODESSAWEST Member

I have a laptop that I have to give back and my desktop well i need to remove everything and reinstall windows 2000 I have the cd to install but my I need to know how to remove everything first my floppy drive has never worked and it will not even shut down without being unpluged. please tell me how to remove everything so I start a new this desktop that I am talking about was used by like 20 people in my apt. complex at one time and it has a lot of crap on it that has totally screwed it up thanks for helping

2. ODESSAWEST

ODESSAWEST Member

ok maybe i don't have a windows back up disk is there a way to make one first without all the other useless programs and files

3. Trotsky311

Trotsky311 Supporters HipForums Supporter

you should be able to boot from the win2k disk. if you want to remove everything, just format it.

4. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Go into control panel and go to add and remove. Select the tab that allows you to make a start up disk and make one. That you should do no matter what even before you reformat.

I would suggest that after you do this, you do a clean install....do not overwrite of you can save files you do not wish to. That means you have to hand pick and clean and it takes hours to do so.

Save anything that you do not wish to lose and then do a clean install.

5. kindwoman

kindwoman Sista Golden Hair

Just take a sledgehammer to it. That's what I'd like to do with mine sometimes.

6. Trotsky311

or the soldering iron of justice!

/+3 to dexterity, protection from red.

[i'll mix games if i want!]

7. ODESSAWEST

ODESSAWEST Member

ok thanks yall however i'm going to try to make a back up disk from my laptop because my diskdrive on the computer in question does not work and then I guess that I just install over everything else or is there a way to erase everything and then insert the installtion disk

8. Trotsky311

usually before you install windows, it asks you to setup partitons, and then to do a full format, or a quick.

To get rid of everything, you want to do a full format.

9. ODESSAWEST

ODESSAWEST Member

I figured out that my sister has the windows installtion disks so what I need to know is just how to reformat the hard drive and erase everything and if this works then i will get the disks and re install i just don't know how to reformat, erase the hard drive, without having to reinstall anything right away, thanks yall you rock

10. Trotsky311

stick the cd in, and restart.

it should give you a chance to hit a key or something if you want to boot from cd.

it's pretty simple from there. just 'yes' and 'next' and such, and when it gives you an option to format, say "yes please!"

11. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

im still confuese, are you trying to restore your machine, or break it?

12. Trotsky311

I think it's a computer in desperate need of a format and reinstall.

no big deal to us techs, but could be intimidating to somebody who doesn't do that on a frequent basis.

13. ODESSAWEST

ODESSAWEST Member

Right on I think I'm going to wait until I get the installtion disks from my sister and then try to fix it I'll let you know if I need help which I probally will thanks for all the info