I need SOUP recipes!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Recipes' started by Silly Angel, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Silly Angel

Silly Angel Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I'm a bit picky about soup. Here are my likes and dislikes:

LIKES: creamy soups, beans, bulgur, onion, mushrooms, potatoes, corn, cheese.
    DISLIKES: brothy soups, celery, large chunks of carrot (I can handle it if it's shredded), lentils, tofu, fennel.

That's what I can think of for now. I love tomato soup, chilis, mushroom soup, and have had some other good creamy soups involving potatoes, southwest flavors, etc. Right now I just create my own chili, and I have a few good tomaato soup recipes, but that is it!

If you have a good creamy soup recipe or two, shoot them my way. I appreciate it so much!!

2. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

3. Silly Angel

GEE thanks. I know how to google YOU fool! But I'd rather have a recipe from someone who swears by it. Besides that, do you know how long it takes to search online for soup recipes that meet my wants? Eesh, it's nearly impossible. If you don't have one, that's fine, but I'm sure someone would be more than happy to share 1 or 2 recipes with me :)

4. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream Member

here's a recipe for minestrone: 1. heat 1 TBSP of olive oil in a lrg. saucepan over med-high heat. Add 1 med.onion,chopped, 1 lrg. clove garlic,minced, and 2 tsp. of italian herbs. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent (about 5 mins.). Add 1 lrg. unpeeled potato cut in 1/4 in. dice, 10 oz. pack of frozen mixed veggies, and 4 cups canned veggie broth. Cover and simmer 10 mins.
    2. Stir in a 15 oz. can of cannellini beans, 1/3 cup elbow pasta, and 2 TBSP tomato paste. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 mins. or until the pasta is cooked. Add salt and pepper. *it's really good with parmesean cheese on top and some garlic bread* I have more recipes I'll probably add later

5. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream Member

If you want I have a recipe for mache chowder and great vegetarian chile and gumbo, just say so and I'll post it!

6. Silly Angel

Thanks Tangerine! I really don't like minestrone, but my bro does, so I think I'm gonna give him that recipe. I listed in the first post what I like and don't like, and broth-based soups, especially chunky ones aren't my thing ;) BUT who says this thread has to be all about me? It could just be a soup thread....

I dunno what mache chowder is, but feel free to post whatever you have. Chances are that if I don't think it sounds good, my friends will. I'm usually the least picky about food, but when it comes to soup, it's another story.

Thanks again!

7. gertie

gertie Senior Member

i love soup... i make veggie chili fairly often (and this way it can be made vegan!!). i saute onion, garlic, and whatever vegetable i like or have available with part water, part oil (better than just oil or butter), then add a can of to mato soup straight from the can (undiliuted), and beans (i like to use a combination beans but i almost alwasy use black beans and kidney beans... you can also use chili beans or any other fav that would work). then i add enough tomato juice to acheive desired consistancy. if you want a little more tezture you can also add stewed tomatoes or some cooked plain rice (white or brown). then season to taste with chili powder, hot pepper flakes, and/or hot sauce however you prefer (i use all three and like a nice kick to it). cook through and stir throughout. serve with cornbread or over corn chips or over cooked pasta noodles (family favorite).

8. gertie

gertie Senior Member

oh, have you tried corn chowder? being vegetarian doesn't have to mean giving up thick warming chowders or soups. i have a recipe i use all the time if anyone is interested.

9. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream Member

I love corn chowder! I totally agree, I use my crockpot all winter :) I make alot of veggie stews. Veggie gumbo, chili, chowders, etc. Very warming in the cold of the midwest!

10. Silly Angel

i LOVE corn chowder. if you have a recipe, bring it on. I haven't found one I really love yet.

Thanks for the chili recipe, sounds great!

Christy

11. Jakblak

Jakblak Member

Cut the kernels off of two fresh ears of corn.
    Chop up two yellow squash.
    Pureee in blender.
    Yields very thick, very sweet base for corn chowder. Add anything else you like.

12. Silly Angel

ooh nice. thanks!

13. Nasika

Nasika Member

14. J'aime_hamstere

J'aime_hamstere Member

Speaking of soup, anyone have a vegetarian recipe for creamy potato soup?

15. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Maitake and shiitake mushrooms are widely available in health food stores. 1 medium onion 1/2-inch diced, 6 medium garlic cloves, cut in half, 2 medium-large kohlrabi, cleaned, peeled,and cut into 3/4-inch pieces, 2medium turnips,3/4-inch pieces, 2 maitake mushrooms,rinsed, 3/4-inchpieces, 10 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms. In a large pot bring 2 to 3 cups water to a boil. Add the onion, garlic, and kohlrabi. Boil gently, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the turnip and mushrooms. Boil gently, 4 minutes. Serve soup over sprouted-grain bread or Savory Barley. Garnish for individual servings, 1 teaspoon organic extra virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons lemon juice.

16. xexon

17. xexon

Having grown up in the south, this was a staple food in my family.

Not hard at all. But a waste of time if you don't have some cornbread to crumble up in it. :) Crackers will work, but dang...

This is excellent food for a cold day.

Take about 8-10 potatos. I prefer Russets myself. Peel and dice. Add to a large pot of boiling water. Cook until tender. Drain. Keep the burner warm.

Now add about a quart of milk. Stir as it heats up. Add salt and fresh black pepper to taste. Now throw a half stick on butter in there. And a quart of water. Bring to a gentle boil. Now gently SIFT in a little flour, and stir. Not too much at a time or you'll get clumps. Do this two or three times until it starts to thicken. Low heat now. I like a little cormmeal stirred up in it too. Maybe a tablespoon full.

Let it simmer for about a half hour. Keep stirring. Add water or milk as needed to get the desired thickness. With cornbread, you want it thinner.

Practice makes perfect with this simple but hearty meal. You can add garlic and onions to it as well.

Still rocks my word all these years later. :)

x

18. JerryWobbles

JerryWobbles Member

good soup starts with a good stock or a base....boycott the bought stocks.....make your own...carrot celery onions, simmer for an hour , turn heat off let set for another hour, then strain...at work i just made a cream of broccoli soup....make a roux...blonde roux...(margarine, flour)...mix in ya soy based milk or cream....throw in your vegan cheese or cheese of your variety....then broccoli...puree this in a blender..and there you go a bangin cream of broccoli soup...i would then finish off with some margarine or butter and..mix in until melted....simple and basic but sooooo good..

19. DNCämþër

DNCämþër Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I saw a recipe for pumpkin soup...I think it was in this months Better Homes and Garden or something...looked good to me.

20. LSDMIKE

LSDMIKE Member

*I had this soup it was not bad

Ingredients
    • 20 medium green prawns (500g)
    • 250g dried vermicelli noodles
    • 2 tsps vegetable oil
    • 2 tblsps laksa paste
    • 3 cups shredded silverbeet
    • 3 cups chicken stock
    • 375ml can Carnation Light & Creamy Coconut Flavoured Evaporated Milk
    • 1 and a 1/2 tblsps fish sauce
    • 1 cup bean sprouts
    • Fresh coriander leaves and sliced red chilli, to garnish
    • Lime slices, to serve
    [​IMG]

METHOD
    1. Peel and devein prawns leaving tails intact.
    2. Place noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain well.
    3. Heat oil in a wok. Add laksa paste and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add prawns. Stir-fry 1 minute. Add silverbeet, stock and evaporated milk. Bring to boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in fish sauce.
    4. Divide noodles among four serving bowls. Spoon over stock mixture. Serve topped with bean sprouts. Garnish with coriander and chilli. Serve with lime.