I need info on German citizenship...

Discussion in 'Europe' started by soulrebel51, Jan 3, 2005.

1. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I remember my mom telling me long, long ago, that when I turned 18, I'll have to choose between US and German citizenship... I have joint citizenship right now, my mom was born there and refuses to get US citizenship, so yeah...

I remember shooting the idea down when I was a little kid, although she really wanted me too, because she said I'll have to serve in the German military for 6 months.

But tonite I was thinking, and this thought popped back into my head... Germany is obviously not allies with the US in this war of terror, so if that serving part still is true, it's not like I'll see any action...

So would any of you have any info on getting German citizenship? I'd google it, but I have no idea where to start looking.

Thanks!

2. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

You don't have to do 6 months military service you can do 12 months social work type stuff instead. Not sure how you go about availing of your right to German citizenship, I'd check with the nearest German embassy to you. If you have German citiznen ship you can work or live anywhere in the EU which is handdy, und sprechen sie Deutsch?

On the embassy side google threw up the one in DC, check it out, it should have info on it for you, or e-mail them about it.

http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/info/missions/embassy/news12.htm

Also the folks in the German forum might be able to give you any other info you need, they all speak English.

http://hipforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

3. Maes

Maes Senior Member

go for the german citizenship, tons of social benefits, universal healthcare, child money and etc.

4. Spacer

Probably free university aswell, well we get it in Ireland anyway.

5. borut16

borut16 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I think it is, yeah...or at least way cheaper than in U.K. ;)
    Free here in Slovenia, too...go for Slovene citizenship, haha. ;)

6. moonydancer

moonydancer Member

If you get german citizenship, at least you can go anywhere in U.E, university is free, and you'll get loads of benefits..plus.... German is the cleanest place ever!:p

You'll get to hear some european rock music (;)), and the germans are great people!

I don't think you'll have much problems with getting german citizenship, the real problem would be the language!

7. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

does Germany not allow dual citizenship? the US does, you could have it both ways.

8. Spacer

I thought that was only until you were 18 and then you had to decide which you wanted, maybe not, I've been known to be wrong.

9. seamonster66

not here anyway....I know a girl who has 3 passports, US, Irish, and Canadian.....Irish because her family is, Canadian because she was born there, and American because she became a citizen here.

Allegedly I can become a dual Irish/American citizen due to my grandmother.....

10. Spacer

Yeah you could defo get an Irish passport, the joke over here is that they give them out with 4 tokens from Cornflakes boxes! :D Whenever you are moving to Barca you should get one, then you could work there no hassle. Although I think you said before your missus was Spanish!? If that's the case you can probably live over there no problemo anyway.

11. seamonster66

yea, if I could get some more money quick we'd be on our way....unfortunately an ice storm just killed our car...at least we both work now, so I'm hoping by the end of this year.

I met an Irish guy recently in New York City who got his US green card (work auth) by just being handed one in Dublin....he said they were honestly handing them out to whoever wanted them about 8 years ago....my guess is that they weren't doing the same in Mexico :D

12. Spacer

lol, probably not, both my parents have family over in New York. Loads of Irish people went over there in the 70/80s and got green cards no hassle. My dad lived over there in 75/76. Best of luck with getting to Spain man, tis a lovely country, you speak any Spanish? I started learning a while back, tis a lovely language.

13. superNova

superNova Member

um well, where do you want to live? germany or america? isn't that the most important question?

14. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I want to live in London.

And about keeping my American citizenship... well I don't think I really want to. And from what I've been reading, I'm going to have to choose between one or the other by the time I turn 18.

And tell me more about this free university, if ya dont mind... :eek:

15. Spacer

Well in Ireland all Irish citizens a re entitled to free university, plus if you parents make less than a certain amount you also get a grant to cover your books and other stuff aswell the grant is about €3,000 per year which is about US$3,500 approx. Dunno what way it works in other European countries.

16. nanak

nanak Member

About military service in Germany: Every male german who leaves high school (and does not have two brothers who already served) needs to undergo a medical observation by civil doctors of the federal forces. If he has handicaps (like asthma or twisted joints or something else this way) he does not have to serve. Those who are "accepted" ([​IMG]) can denie military service when he accepts to serve in civil branches (hospitals, kindergartens, zoos, ...). The minimum of service is nine months for military service and civil service both (longer service is only voluntarily).

About german universities: You have to pay each semester some money (at my university I have to pay 130€ (150$?)), but this often includes some services (like free usage of buses and trains) that depend on the university. In some states of the federation you have to pay more for each semester that you attend and the average student does not. BUT: Every student can request the BAFÖG program that (officialy) helps every student in need (similar to the irish program Spacer mentioned). At max you can get about 500€ (I'm not sure, because I don't need it) per month, 50% are credits with 0.0% interest, the other 50% are free and not intended to be given back to the fed.