I Need A Tye Dye For Dummies Manual!

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by SyrinX, Jun 8, 2004.

1. SyrinX

SyrinX Member

HEY GANG!

would anyone post me some pointers and help to get into tye dying! I need to know evrything where to get dye and what kind you need what other kind of gear you need and pretty much how to do it!

THANKS GUYS!

peace!

S...X

2. deezee

deezee Member

hi syrinX

i do tye dying as i design a children's clothing line and did my whole spring/summer line on tye-die. but i use my own formula for the dye as my background is in painting (MFA) and i make my own. however the place to get all the information you need is called dharma trading. they are in san leandro california. they have an 800 number so call the 800 info operator and they will give it to you. ask for a catalog. they have all sorts of dyes and the books that give you the information you need. they are an invaluable source as their catalogue alone has all the instructions for doing this and and they sell beginner's kits as well.

if you can't get the number. post that here i will try to remember to post it for you.

have fun!

deezee

3. Acorn

Acorn Member

ive never tryed it, but would rit dye work?

4. deezee

deezee Member

nope. you won't be able to get the water hot enough and it will wash out after one or two washings anyway. you need what's called a fiber reactive dye but there are much EASIER ways too. so either contact the place i have listed above for a catalogue (or their website which i assume is dharmatrading.com) or go to your local arts and crafts place and they can probably help you.

hope this helps.

deezee

5. Platinum_twf

Platinum_twf Member

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

go to www.dharmatrading.com for instructions and black (better black) dye.

look into a Jacquard kit for a beginner box.
    kits are on page 14 of the print catalog.
    Use Procion. Not RIT. RIT will waste your time and money and the garment.

We use dyes from Prochemical and Dye in Mass.
    Paul has been dyeing for 12 years and we keep 35-65 colors on the table at all times.
    For simple spirals, don't worry and get 3-6 colors.

head over to fashion and crafts and ask away!

7. celeste

celeste Member

Hi! I used Rit dye to tie dye in the Sixties. It was cheap! I boiled the water,added dye,turned the heat down to a simmer.stirred to disolve the dye really well,then added the thing I wanted tie dyed and stirred and simmered for a Long Time! The longer it sat the darker the color. Rinse thoroughly in very cold water. It will run,wash it separately! It's good to start with,practice,practice,practice!(ha!) It's fun seeing all the strange patterns you create with some rubber bands,cotton tees & a box or two of color! Just play with it,have fun! We did our bed sheets,used them as curtains,nothing white or light colored was safe! Candle making is also fun! Good Luck!

8. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

I tye-dye every once in a while. I've gotten into the habit of using plant roots and flower heads for my dying liquid.

The best results I had came from beets and dandelion heads.

Dandelion heads gave the fabric a pastel yellow tint...It was cute on the onesies that I made for my god-daughter.

The beets gave a soft pink, almost faded fuschia tone to the fabric. It was very pretty.

The best frabric to use natural dyes with seems to be cotton that hasn't been fucked with too much....

Check out on the net for what things you should add to your natural dyes to make sure that the color stays.

Holly

9. believe in love

believe in love Member

thanx for the advice, ive been trying to figure out a way to learn tie-dyeing technique for a while. you guys have helped alot

10. justapoman

justapoman Member

Here are a few links that may be of help:
    http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/howtotiedye.shtml
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/tie-dye/
    http://www.prochemical.com/directions/Folding.htm
    Also, for thousands of links, just type tie dye into a search engine such as www.google.com