I need a seamstress...

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Zoomie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

... to sew me a tent and nest. Nest is to be an A-frame, 36" on each side, 84" long, 3" tub floor, all seams to be webbed. Tent will cover the nest with 2" airspace beneath, tapered on each end for vestibule and simple roll hem around the outer edges.

Materials will include silicone impregnated nylon, polypropylene webbing, no-see-um mesh, waterproof coil zippers. I will purchase and send materials to you. Finished product will weight less than 2 pounds.

Anyone interested?

2. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

would if I could....

I need to learn to sew to hem my flippin' pants... I'm only 5'3", and EVERY pair of pants I seem to buy are MUCH too long.... damn tall people! It's your fault! :)

3. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I would if I had any idea what you're talking about. Do you have a picture to go by or anything? I've never done anything of that sort, and can only begin to imagine what you're describing. But my bf and I pride myself on being able to sew anything! So I'm sure we COULD do it, it's just a question of whether we would want to... If you could pm me a pic and $$ info I will get back to you.

4. Zoomie

Nest:

[​IMG]

All the returns and corner edges will be reinforced with 1/2" webbing. Where the floor turns up 3" is called a "Tub Floor". The 4 corners on the ground will be double layered 1/2" or 3/4" webbing, cross and bar tacked leaving 3" for a stake grommet.

Shelter (Tent):

[​IMG]

The only difference is that I would like the open end of the tent closed into a small vestibule to keep my pack out of the weather.

5. Zoomie

PS- The shelter stakes/ties out over the nest, if that's not obvious.

As for $$ issues, make me an offer! I just know I'm not paying what they want for that item when the individual components cost less that $80.

6. jrpolarbear

jrpolarbear Member

LOL, I had to giggle at this. The grass is always greener on the other side I always think. I am 5'8 and I have a heck of a time finding pants long enough. I feel like I am always wearing "high waters" or that I some how started the whole capri look! LOL!

I say you send me what you cut off your pants and we can both have pants that fit!

Sorry, I am feeling dorky right now. :)

All in fun,
    Jess.

7. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya! Honestly, I took a good look at what you need and checked the golite site. You're probably better off buying the finished product. I know at first glance it seems like the simplest project ever, but the time/energy it'd take for someone to sit down and figure the pattern for the nest (particularly the tub floor and zipper) plus getting all the seams good and strong, reinforced with webbing, etc. and adding the extra flap on the shelter. You'd end up paying about the same in the end. And not getting as good a finished product in the end.

Maybe that's just me. But for the most part, I thought their prices were actually rather reasonable. It's a damn cool shelter though! Makes me want to just hike off into the wilderness. I think my relationship with civilization is getting strained. Maybe we need a trial separation... :p

8. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

You sound just like my parents. It's also a problem I'm sure I'd have if I didn't make my clothes. But you should've seen them when I went for a visit a couple months ago, and offered to use her machine to hem and alter their clothes that they couldn't wear. You'd think I was performing soe amazing, impossible feat lol! :p