I need a recipie for a great Indian curry!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Recipes' started by Luxiebow, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I am obsessed with Indian food and am trying to make a realli flavoursome curry. I just need to know how to make a great base which then I can add whatver veggies. I'd greatly appriciate eeet! x

2. Gniknus

Gniknus Member

This vegetarian curry offers an array of bright colors - orange, yellow, and red - infused with citrus accents. You'll love the delicious taste of this curry, as well as its healthy combination of vegetables, including pumpkin or squash, yam/sweet potato, carrots, yellow bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes. Add chick peas as a protein source, then finish the dish with a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds and nasturium flowers for a gourmet curry recipe that's as beautiful as it is delicious. Makes a perfect vegetarian Thanksgiving recipe, but is equally yummy any time of the year. ENJOY!
    Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 small pumpkin (or subsitute 1 acorn squash, butternut, or any other orange squash except spaghetti)
    1 small or 1/2 large yam or sweet potato, peeled and cubed
    1-2 medium carrots, cut into thick slices
    1 yellow bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
    1 cup cherry tomatoes
    1/2 can chick peas, drained
    2 Tbsp. grated orange rind
    CURRY SAUCE:
    3-4 cloves garlic
    1-2 fresh red chillies (or substitute fresh green chillies, OR 1-2 tsp Thai chilli sauce)
    1 can coconut milk
    1 tsp. tamarind paste (or substitute 1 Tbsp. lime juice)
    2 Tbsp. vegetarian fish sauce (or regular fish sauce if you are non-vegetarian), or substitute 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
    2 tsp. brown sugar
    juice of 1/2 lime
    juice of 1 medium orange
    1/2 tsp. tumeric
    1 Tbsp. rice vinegar (or substitute apple cider vinegar)
    1 Tbsp. ground coriander seeds, 1 Tbsp. ground cumin, and 1 tsp. fennel seed (preferably all ground in a coffee grinder)
    1/3 purple onion, sliced
    GARNISH:
    handful of fresh basil leaves
    optional: 1 Tbsp. roasted pumpkin seeds and a few nasturium flowers (or other edible flowers)
    Preparation:

To make the curry sauce, place all sauce ingredients together in a food processor (or blender if you don't have a processor). Process well. Set aside.
    Prepare pumpkin or squash by cutting it open and scooping out the seeds with a spoon. Either save the seeds for roasting, or discard. Cut the pumpkin/squash into cubes, slicing off the skin. You will probably only use 1/3 to 1/2 a pumpkin for this recipe (save the rest in the refrigerator for cooking later).
    Prepare the rest of the vegetables plus the orange rind.
    Place the pumpkin (or squash), yam, and carrots in the wok/frying pan together with the curry sauce over medium-high heat. Stir well.
    When the curry begins to boil, reduce heat to medium, stirring occasionally. Allow to simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
    Add the bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, chick peas, and orange rind, stirring to incorporate. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
    Do a taste test for salt and spice. If not salty enough, add a little more [vegetarian] fish sauce (or soy sauce), 1 tsp. at a time. If not spicy enough for your taste, add more fresh chilli (or chilli sauce).
    To serve, scoop into a large serving bowl, or portion out on individual plates. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and pumpkin seeds, then top with several nasturium flowers (if using). Serve with plenty of Thai jasmine rice (white or brown), and enjoy this colorful and fragrant dish. http://thaifood.about.com/od/vegetarianthairecipes/r/pumpkincurry.htm

3. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

nom nom nom, than koooo!

4. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

recipezaar.com is my favorite site and they have loooads of great veg curry recipes! They have a great "recipe sifter" (http://www.recipezaar.com/sifter.php) so you can choose your main ingredients, the vegetarian/vegan options, whatever! Sorry for the plug but I always had a hard time finding curry recipes until I found them :)

5. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

thank youUU!

6. kye kye

kye kye Member

My Frst curry was potatoe curry its fairly straight forward when you get the hang of it

Ingrediants:
    2 tbs of jeera seeds (optional)
    1 large onions
    4 big potatoes depending how many potatoes you wasnt in the dish
    1 tsp of tumeric
    1 tbs of crushed chillis
    1 tbs of corianda powder
    1tsp of ginger powder or fresh ginger
    3 garlic cloves
    1 jug of freshly boiled water
    2tbs of garam masala
    OR if you cant be bovered just use any type of curry powder
    5tbs of any oil or enough to cover the onions(sunflower ,olive ect)

Preperations
    Peel the potatoes and cut into square pieces 5cmx5xm and bring to boil on a high heat until they are only partially soft

Heat the oil til hott and add finely sliced chopped onions in the pot
    and the jeera seeds and stir till they go brown
    add the chillis and mix until the onions go soft

Add all the powdered seasonings and immidiatrly add water to get a soupy/runny consistency,crush and add the garlic

Add your vegetables and partially boiled potatoes and put on a high heat until they are fully cooked

Boil until you achieve a pasty consistency and then turn of cooker

DONE :)

7. dollyfizz

dollyfizz Senior Member

A big mistake people make with curry is that they don't cook the spices, especially when using powder. Brown the spices in oil at the start with the onion and garlic. Tamarind, turmeric, fresh chili, whatever. Anything beyond is up to you. (Coconut milk is lovely but is good added later when you need to thicken your sauce.) When the onion is cooked, add water and lots of tomato. From there you can add anything you like. Of course if you were adding meat, you'd brown it before adding the water and tomato. But since you're not, such add a whole bunch of your favourite veg after. Potato is a definite must, but parboil them before hand and add them at the end.

I'm an Indian lass. Curry varies from place to place and it can often be quite different. As long as everything (including the spices) is well cooked, you can't go wrong. The hardest part is actually getting the rice perfect! Have fun :)

8. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

kitten tikka masala <3