I love Heart!

Discussion in 'Rock 'n' Roll' started by offset, Sep 5, 2009.

1. offset

offset Senior Member

Who else is with me that the Wilson sistas are one of the best femme duo acts out there in rockland?!!! I've appreciated their AMAZING tunes ever since I bought Little Queen many moons ago.
    [​IMG]
    By blackglove at 2009-09-05

2. Sword of Damocles

Sword of Damocles Member

I think Anne has one of the best female voices in rock.

3. Psychedelic Rocker

Psychedelic Rocker Member

Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of Heart, especially the 70's to early-mid 80's Heart.

I've seen Heart in concert twice, back in the day - they put on a great show.

Ann and Nancy are somethin' special...

Some of my favorite Heart Tunes are:

Love Alive/Dream of the Archer
    Dreamboat Annie
    Bebe le Strange
    Johnny Moon
    Crazy On You
    These Dreams
    Kick It Out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. offset

offset Senior Member

Wow thanx for that PR!!!!! I'd have died to be there in 1981 :)

5. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

I love Heart! Also you guys forgot to mention what a kick ass guitar player Nancy is. She is the one that inspired me to learn guitar.

6. offset

offset Senior Member

Heart love Led Zep:):)

7. offset

offset Senior Member

8. zillagod

zillagod Member

For some reason, I could never get into Heart. I know they were good, but they just didnt appeal to me, and I love classic rock. They had one song that I really liked though, and that was If Looks Could Kill, from their 1985 self-titled album. Went and saw Heart here in Vegas at the old Aladdin Theater for the Performing Arts( the premier concert place) back in '82 I think it was. I was let in for free through a side door by one of the security guards I knew who worked there. Again, I know they were good, but they still just didnt appeal to me for some reason.

9. Dirtyhippycommiebastard

Dirtyhippycommiebastard Member

Heart's a cool band.It's too bad Nancy and Cameron Crowe are divorcing.They seemed good for eachother.

10. offset

offset Senior Member

Could be you don't dig any ladies in rock....could it?!?!?....only asking of course!!:):)

11. slappyman

slappyman Member

I've always loved heart, the only time I got to see them was in 76 or 77 don't remember, do remember we saw them for free as they were doing an outdoor concert and we were able to enjoy the show from the roof of my cousins house. Edgar and Johnny Winter were also there.

12. slappyman

slappyman Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpNqB4dnT4"]YouTube - Heart - Crazy On You (live 1976)

13. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

Dreamboat Anne is still on of my favorite albums.

14. offset

offset Senior Member

15. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I saw them this summer. They've still got it. :)

16. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

If you love Heart and have access to HBO, you should definitely check out the 2013 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony! This is one show that can NEVER be deleted from my DVR! The live performances may not show up on YouTube for a while, since HBO has paid for the TV rights.

The ORIGINAL BAND reunited for a live performance of Crazy On You!!! The Wilson sisters have said many times over the years that a reunion of the original band would never happen, even if hell froze over, because of a nasty romantic breakup between Nancy Wilson and Roger Fisher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Fisher_(guitarist) ) in 1979.

Roger co-founded the group with his brother and Steve Fossen a long time before the Wilson sisters ever heard of it (three name changes before it became Heart), and he played lead guitar on their early big hits that have become rock classics. Very few Americans have not heard some of his incredible screaming electric guitar solos, though most people don't know his name. Steve Fossen (bass) and Mike Derosier (drums) also returned for the stage performance along with Howard Leese, who was a member of Heart longer than any other male, starting out recording with them as an incredibly versatile studio musician. Leese moved from keyboards to lead guitar following Fisher's departure.

There isn't a lot of surviving video footage of this band lineup, and none at all recorded with full HD video quality and digital sound. This group isn't likely to perform together ever again, so the new footage is an irreplaceable instant classic. There is no audible clue that they only rehearsed the song four times before the show. After playing it thousands of times together, it was in their bones, and 35 years of separation meant nothing.

Unfortunately, somebody had to follow this incredible rare performance, and it fell to the current Heart membership, featuring Craig Bartock, plus three guest guitarists from other current bands, performing Barracuda. I felt kind of bad for Bartock, who is an incredible talent in his own right. I suspect half the TV audience was still thinking about the magical moment of music history they had just experienced.

I don't remember a lot about what was said in the acceptance speeches, except for Nancy's positive comments about motherhood. The old Southern saying that instantly came to mind is, "She could have talked all day and not said that." I couldn't help thinking that those few lines spoke volumes about how and why Heart opened the door wide for future generations of female rockers, and almost no one walked through it.

Ideally, their hall of fame nomination speech would have been made by a female member of the current young generation's highly successful version of Heart, but sadly, that group doesn't exist.

17. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I saw the last tour with Fisher in the band...it was the "Dog and Butterfly" tour when the nasty romantic break-up culminated, band tensions and what-not made for a fiery concert lemme tell ta.

I heard Roger Fishers new album features a larger, more brilliant "love alive" reduex

18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I hope something works out for him and he gets a little more notoriety and respect. No matter what he might have done to get kicked out of his own band, fuck, it was 35 years ago! He didn't kill anybody. The man has suffered long enough for his mistakes!

:guitarist:
    If you think about the old classic rock songs that have become part of the background music of American culture, the songs that nobody can avoid if you ever go to public places like shopping malls, restaurants, bars, and retail stores that play mainstream music over their sound systems, the iconic electric guitar solos are dominated by about half a dozen guys. Out of that group, Roger Fisher is without a doubt the least famous. The intro to Barracuda is one of the best known guitar licks in the history of rock, right up there with Eddie Van Halen's intro to Michael Jackson's "Beat It", Eric Clapton's intro to "Layla", Nick Giraldo's intro to Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot", and the Eagles duet at the end of "Hotel California". And who can ignore Fisher's exotic solo in "Magic Man"? But nobody knows who played it.

Worse yet, about half the MTV generation grew up giving credit to Howard Leese for Roger's work, because they never saw anybody but Howard perform it live. And some of the music videos were edited to make you think Nancy was playing all the good stuff! Howard Leese is a super-talented dude, but he didn't come up with those solos and intros originally, and Nancy couldn't play them if her life depended on it.
    :toetap05:

I have to give props to the Wilson sisters for being professional enough to bury the hatchet for one song at least, and realizing that a moment that big belongs to all rock music fans. It's much bigger than any one person. Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and do the right thing, to pay proper respect to history.

19. Dirtyhippycommiebastard

Dirtyhippycommiebastard Member

Here's the original line up at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AVLRLtMgc"]Heart Performs "Crazy on You" at Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, 4/18/13 - YouTube

20. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Right the fuck on sister! About as succinct as I've ever heard put!
    You said it with less malice than I would have though lol

Roger Fisher ...Absolutely