I just learned to KNIT!

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by yesplease, Jan 8, 2005.

1. yesplease

yesplease Member

so i just leaerned to knit and i completed my first scarf... :) not too bad for a first time, i have to say! but, does anyone have any suggestions for a book or website that'll help me out with more complicated stuff and different techniques? and also...and anyone have suggestions/tips on how to actually hold the knitting needles while knitting? (cause i KNOW i'm not doing it right...)

2. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

well congrats....

u'll get used to it and learn to flow....i would just go to a sewing or a craft store and talk to them....

3. Flyinglilypad

Flyinglilypad Member

How did you learn to knit? From a book, class, or person you know?

4. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

congradulations!

Knitting is quite fun... it's really not that hard and you can make some wonderful gifts for yourself and friends! There's so many different kinds of fun yard out there to make things with...

5. yesplease

yesplease Member

I learned the very basics from a friend...and that's about it! she suggested a book called Stich 'n Bitch ... so maybe I'll check that out

6. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I've seen Stitchin Bitch in the bookstores, it looks really good. I have recently learned to knit properly just recently. Before that, I could only knit scarves and square things with one stitch. Now I can knit AND purl!! yay!

7. Natural_mystic19

Natural_mystic19 Member

Its funny, i just learned how to increase last night... before that, all i could do was knit in a straight row. But now i can make shawls and a bikini!! whoo hoo

Have ya tried the stockinette stitch yet?? Its fun to experiment with the different stitches.

Garter is my favorite cuz its the simplest one.

8. plainjanepatchwork

plainjanepatchwork Member

That Stitch N' Bitch book is a great book. I really like the knitters companion because it has every stitch in there. There are also tons of great websites if you get stuck on a stitch. The other night my friends washcloth pattern called for "knit below" we hopped online and found an explanation and a picture.

9. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

oh my god i hate knitting :D i get so frustrated :D

croteching, man

thats my specialty :H

10. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I tried knitting before... I like crochet better... my grandma taught me... I haven't done it in such a long time.

11. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

The only time I tried to knit I ended up with something that looked like it came out of a cat's butt.

Way to go! Pictures??

12. yesplease

yesplease Member

no pics... :( I actually gave it to a friend already as a gift! but maybe the next project!

13. t-dub

t-dub Pass me the pepper

YAY FOR KNITTING!! :D i think its amazing on how many people from all age groups are learning to knit! although, i like to crochet more than knit, it still amazes me!

the stitch n' bitch is an awsome book! that was the first knitting book i purchased. it has awsome pictures, clear instructions and rad patterns! a must buy.

keep on knittin mamas :D

14. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

I knitted and crochettet almost as long as I live...and I love it! It's the most fantastic hobby there is. :)

15. Lucy_In_The_Sky

Lucy_In_The_Sky Member

I just started knitting too! I think it's so cool, I'm making a bag now and I want to decorate it afterwards. I think it will be nice :). But I'm also confused about how to hold my needles...I'm quite sure I'm doing it wrong :(.

16. eyesofthewhirled

eyesofthewhirled Member

i started a couple monthes ago too. everyone got a scarf over christmas hehehe. check out knitty.com lots of patterns in all sorts of dificulty ranges. my hubby bought me the knitting directory. tons of explanaitions on how to increase and decrease stitches.... different kind of patterns and stuff. i like the big gauge needles and chunky yarn fer now.... stuff is made so much faster