I have two hummingbirds!!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Heat, May 27, 2013.

1. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Two weeks ago my friend came over with his tiller and ripped up my backyard for me. It was filled with weeds and I hated it. I rented here last summer and it was too late to do much with the yard and I did not want to spend another summer looking at weeds.

We spent the whole day pulling out all the old roots we could and dressed the top and planted new seed.

I also put in a nice corner flower garden with hummingbirds, butterflies and bees in mind. I also put in a small spot for my tomato and herbs.

Yesterday I saw a hummingbird at my feeder and today I saw two.......It was worth it to do all that work just to have them come drink in my yard.

Now if the grass grows in it is just a bonus.

I have hummingbirds at my property I own but I was not sure if I could get them to come and visit here......I did. :)

Sometimes it is great to feel happy over something as simple as a hummingbird visiting. :)

What has made you feel happy lately? :)

2. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Nice sugar water is fuel to the hummingbirds. Like they say, if you want to see a car, wait at a gas station.

3. Heat

I had feeders up all last year and from the start of spring here but never saw one until I planted a garden also. Now it could also be a coincidence. At my other home they have been feeding for over 3 weeks so I know they were back.

Just nice to see them here. :)

Now what has made you feel happy.....would love to hear. :)

4. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

I love seeing hummingbirds too,
    one year my hummingbird feeder went missing
    it sort of startled me cuz I thought how and why did someone get in my yard?
    I replaced the feeder and the next day it was gone...
    this happened with about five feeders...
    I found out a raccoon was taking the feeders...:)

glad to see the hummingbirds found the spot you made for them heat...
    and may your hummingbirds multiply and your joy also :)

5. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

we've got a few around here, i have two feeders and my neighbors have one.

watching them scrap and dogfight always makes me :D

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I like hummingbirds.

Everything makes me happy....well, not exactly but I'm happy often and about small things. Okay, I'll look back on today and what made me happy. Coming home with local strawberries and fresh soup made from this market and Cason getting a new stuffed bear at the market (it's a market/store) that he absolutely loves...we named it Berry. Spelled like that cause we name it after the strawberries-or as a play off the strawberries. :) So, Berry Bear. :) Seeing Cason in his car seat on way home and before his nap holding onto his "Berry Bear" and "Slumber Bear" and hugging and kissing them and being so happy made me very happy. Giving Dan this local, raw honey that he loves made me happy (early dad's day gift)...
    It made me happy when my mom called just to say "hi" and chatting w her.
    This book I'm reading is WONDERFUL. I had recently finished a book of short stories that was excellent by Jess Walter... and now I'm about 50 pages from finishing "Beautiful Ruins" by the same author. And this book makes me very happy. I'm happy I have some of it to finish when I get off of here.
    Also, I realized I lost another 2 lbs so now I'm down 40 lbs in 4 months which makes me happy. :)
    Oh and Dan gave me a huge hug today and told me how much he apprieciates all I do and have done for him and us as a family lately...and sometimes with him working 60-70 hr weeks...and 3rd shift at that...and he's going thru a few things... I think I need to hear and feel that from him and it made me over joyed to hear it like he said it today.
    Also...Cason is talking much more. Which is great... him running up to me today saying "MOM!!!!" and then jumped on my lap and gave me the hugest hug and kiss and said "LOVE MOM MOM"---hug, kiss... made me happy :)

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i havent seen any yet this year

saw some huge bumblebees doing the nasty yesterday though

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I have two birds and they're both a'hummin'.

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Hmmmmmm.... Interesting.

10. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I recently saw one llama mount another and start to go at it...

in the same enclosure that I saw a llama take a shit and two big huge geese start to eat the llama shit.

I'm scarred for life.

I hate nature.

11. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

They look for nectar in the flowers, so they are a big attraction. The looks of a feeder itself may not attract them until they stumble upon it and know there's sugar there.

12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

At my previous house we had about 20 hbirds at one time attacking one of our feeders. They would drain it daily. It was really cool, we learned that they get to be mean little birds to each other.

I have a video of them somewhere.

13. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

here's a pic of a hummingbird nest that was in my neighbors yard this spring. we don't think the egg hatched :(

[​IMG]

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

What has made you feel happy lately?

Reading this and seeing that you are well on your way to getting your life settled back to a good place. I know the last couple of years have been a little rocky for you, so seeing you in a better place makes me happy.:mickey:

15. Heat

Thank you and that made my day a whole lot brighter. :)

The last few years have been really tough at times but through it all I have never lost hope. It also made me really appreciate the small pleasures in life and for that I am thankful. I always knew they were there and most times just bustled on but now I take the time to enjoy them.

Life is pretty darn great. :)

16. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Heather, so far this year, I've only seen one of our Hummingbirds return. Last year we had three and I'm hoping they all return and bring their buddies. Last year I had out two feeders. This year I have six!

17. Heat

I know I have at least two and I am hoping for more. In the country I have 6 of them so far and the feeders are up both places so I am more than happy to feed more of them. :)

18. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

19. Heat

I have never found a nest. I have looked but they are so tiny and built to look like a knot on the trees. Not that I would touch it but it would be nice to see one.

Voyage you are so lucky to actually have seen one. :)

20. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

thx, ya, i've seen a few over time but, wow! that pic that Aeri posted, just amazing !
    almost ineffable seeing how they are constructed, like using spider webbing for glue :)

i'll have to see if i can't post a few shots of the birds in my yard, they really are endlessly fascinating.
    we have a new alpha-male thats dominating the feeders and he's absolutely fearless. i got a shot of him the other day in my garden sitting 3 ft away just looking at me :D