i have thin hair how do i dread

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Holy Ancient Megumi, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Holy Ancient Megumi

Holy Ancient Megumi Member

i have thin hair how do i dread ? i wash my hair then dry it with a towel. my hair is shoulder lenght.

2. eatlysergicacid

eatlysergicacid Creep in a T-Shirt

Stop brushing. Stop conditioning. Switch to a residue free/chemical free shampoo. Other than that the only thing you have to do is wait. You can section and "start" dreads using twist and rip or backcombing, although IME with very thin hair these sort of fabricated dreads tend to fall out and come loose before separating and dreading on their own natural course. I have some tnr's that I did four or five months ago that I still think are going to unravel sometimes.

3. mandapanda3

mandapanda3 Member

I have very thin hair. TNR didnt work for my dreads...they all fell out within a week. I recommend backcombing and then leaving them be for a year. Some will loosen, hairs will fall out, but by letting it be they will find their way within other dreads. As mentioned above, use a residue free shampoo. Wash once a week unless youre a sweaty person then wash whenever you need too. Let your hairs dry in the open...dont wear hats when yor hair is wet...thats how mold starts. If youre a high maintenance dready than I guess you can crochet hairs into dreads and stuff. But otherwise...time is the greatest method. Mine are almost a year old. I have done no dread maintenance other than washing once a week and ripping them apart when they try to merge. Ill post pics this weekend so you can see some thin haired dreads. =]

4. NaedBHF

NaedBHF Member

Ha! I had the opposite luck, my baby fine hair just gets weird and damaged if it is back combed- so I did twist and rip and it took to that really nicely. :) My hair was always super tangly though.

5. dreadlockswampy

dreadlockswampy Swampmiester

I'd try the twist n rip method first and make sure you do them tight and palm roll them daily for a few months