I have a Question about Lighting.

Discussion in 'Cannabis Grow Rooms and Greenhouses' started by K2Bord21, Jan 26, 2005.

1. K2Bord21

K2Bord21 Member

I was wondering if a 15 watt UV light for lizards and small plants is sufficiant enough to grow one plant? with proper soil and such?

2. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

3. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

tell you a little story guy-im not so high and mighty.i had humble beginnings.

and kbord21
    i started out around nov two years ago, with a 15 watt aquarium lizard light, i added a 20 watt shop tube. there were only a few seedlings at first.
    about the time they got a foot tall or so i ran across a 175 watt halide- traded 1/4 of mexishwag for it. bought a new bulb . this was around feb last year.by june i added 150 watt shp spot and two flourex for starters.
    in july i was gifted with a righteous 430 watt system and hortilux bulb. but then i had some exhaust disaster while i was out of town and killed the budchamber, took most of the rest of the year to renew my clonestock.
    jan this year finds me with 1630 watts of shp- 500 watt flourex, and 32 plants in a 6x8x7 chamber, i just installed a greenair lt-4 120 light timer, upgraded my electric panel,got a day/night atmospere controller ct-ct-1p,and an eliecent fan for my air cooled hoods.
    do what you gotta do- but get more light fast- the more light they get the better they grow.get a flourex from home depot for 40 bucks or so - they wont cause you heat concerns when your getting started.

4. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

Dude, this is the SECOND time you have insulted me...why? How am I high and mighty because I said no to his question? You need to back off.You want to talk about high and mighty? Go back and read you little rant about your grow lights. Which you don't seem to mention here, which makes me suspicious. Here is your little rant about over priced lighting that you seem to think is great because it's expensive...:

"I only get supplies from the nearest hydro supplier in town. it is about a 45 mile drive and i got my goods in hand. my 600watt hps radiant ballasts, with daystar a/c hoods- glass included,and hortilux bulbs , they cost me right around 500 each, came with a five year warranty on the ballasts. i think they were worth every penny.
    i spent around two k on my upgrade- and i have never been happier.
    i'll have 3 to 7 pounds before this cycle is over.
    hydrofarm uses advanced ballasts- if you want a cheap system google advanced ballasts, and buy a do it yourself ballast kit for 60 to 90 bucks.
    then you'll have high quality for a unreal price- but you'll have to rig a ballast box up and hardwire it all in.
    i was thinking about doing that for my halides [next upgrade] but i got a price of 371.00 for the 400 w daystar with 'new blue' hortilux bulbs.
    hoods and bulbs are both over 100 bucks [quality a/c hoods anyways] so figure 250 for a daystar hood and good bulb. 90 bucks for a ballast before shipping.
    add it all up ,and im not gonna save any more than 30 bucks trying to rig up my own ballast. heck with that i'll pay the 371 for a air cooled system.

my 600's can run 9 inches from the canopy- providing more available lumens to the plant than a 1,000 watt halide would at two foot away.yeild is directly proportionate to available lumens- not just lumens.
    that's my story and im stickin to it.
    if ya want a little smoke from a rat ass hobby grow- go inside sun.
    if you are serously cosidering doing this m.j. growing for a few years, plan on spending a couple grand on decent eqipment. i bet my soil grow can compare to some of the hydro grows out there.[probly not lumpy's though l.o.l. not sure i havent seen pics yet- you gotta refresh me memory on your o.g. handle lumpy]
    it's all about the hoods bro.
    do you want a car that spits and sputters and backfires all the time- sounds like it's running on three cylanders at best.[cheap bargain ballast]
    or do ya want a mazzerati [hydrofarm,sunsystem,pl lighting.]
    the choice is yours."....tyedye420

You sound pretty cocky in that rant, a little high and mighty. You insulted me in this rant as well....I commented about it in the thread this came from. BTW, TD420

You have been pretty rude to me for no reason. If you want to be the "grow guru" here knock yourself out bro'.....I have other things to do at my website and in my real life.......

5. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

Pwnt.
    GS wins.
    gg.

6. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

^^^^^Hey Bob, I was wrong about his setups, they are the same just described differently. So, I edited that part out. He is still being rude for no reason and for someone that is not high and migty, he sure is acting like it. He's another guy that thinks the sign of good grower is quantity.

7. LuMpYtRiChOmEy

LuMpYtRiChOmEy Member

--Hey Guy.. -When he said hes not so "high and mighty", -I dont think he ment it in the same context as you took it in, -I think he was just trying to show his humble beginings, the dude was askin if he could grow with the exact same light TD started with. -I dont think he ment to offend anyone. -I think he was just saying he didnt always have the shit he dose now... -I gotta address the last part of your post too. -I think TD prolly thinks a good grower grows LOTS of excelent bud, -thats what I think and I think that its an outdated misconseption that you cant grow LOTS of EXCELENT bud in a small amount of space. -Annyhow, -I really think ya mighta misconstrude TD's meanin. :) !

8. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

No he was being a dick....

9. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

ditto but lets squash it here guy
    i just love to share knowledge/experience.
    and it is all the same growroom, the evolution is nearing completion.
    and calling me a drug dealer was uncalled for.
    tiedye
    thanks lumpy you were correct, i been feeling high and mighty with this new setup goin.l.o.l.

10. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

get a flourex they are cheap and it will grow a healthy 2-3 foot plant then you will need more light penetration, flourex work best at one to four inches away from the canopy.
    and to get ventillation installed before attempting to run hid[halide-hps] would be wise.

11. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

Dude...fuck you. You accuse me of being high and mighty...then you admit to acting high and mighty? Blow me....I simply said no to his question...Looks like I didn't misconstrue your meaning. You're an asshole. I like to share knowledge too....I just don't like answering the same questions over and over again....Go ahead and be the grow guru here big guy, I never tried to take "the job" from you in the first place.

12. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

:( stupid people suck.

It's okay GS, we're not all lost.

13. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

it has nothing to do with being a guru, my point is why are you here if you don't like dumb questions. get a grip on your ego dude.
    you started this row and it is not the first time you have came here strting shit to get your kicks.
    you cant even stick to the subject on the simplest of threads .

14. b1v2w3

b1v2w3 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hey K2, you could always use a formula like 25Watts/sq.ft. for vegging and 50Watts/sq.ft. for flowering. And if you want to refine that formula you can express it in lumens and see wether you can achieve that with fluoros or go to high intensity lights.b1 Read thru the page(s) at this site: http://greenmanspage.com/guides/lighting.html

15. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

Are you so burnt the fuck out that you can't remember what you started this whole thing about? How does starting a grow report and helping people with questions credit me as someone who is here to start shit for kicks? You are a loser....You started with me for sharing the same views as meangreen (but you don't asy shit to him). Newbies that ask the same questions over and over again become annoying. You can't seem to grasp that this started because you thought I was being uppity to newbies. I'd like to see where I have been uppity. You are a sad little man that smokes way too much pot.....

You are the one with the ego here jackass, you think that you are a pro grower now that you have alot of lighting and a larger grow area than me. You are a piss poor grower and the new lighting is only going to enhance your poor tech skills. I am far from a master grower, but I am way better than you. I have been growing for 4 years and NEVER had one problem with bugs, nute deficiencies, or any of the other problems that 75% of all growers run into. Why? Because I have done the necessary research to keep from having those problems. What is wrong with teaching growers how to do the foot work on their own? Teaching them to be lazy doesn't help anyone.

You can keep answering the same newbie germination, lighting, soil, and watering questions all you want, maybe YOU will eventually learn something.