i have a question about jesus' genealogy

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by nitemarehippygirl, Aug 19, 2005.

1. nitemarehippygirl

nitemarehippygirl Senior Member

a quick question

christ was supposed to have fulfilled all these prophecies, one main one being that he is descended from king david. but since he is born of a virgin, he doesn't actually have human parents - mary was merely a vessel for him, and joseph (through whom lineage is traced) really had nothing to do with jesus. (i'm talking eggs, sperm, and human flesh here). jesus doesn't have a "family history".
    so if jesus was born of a God and a virgin, how can you at the trace his ancestry at all?

thanks......

peace:)

2. AannaSolo

AannaSolo Member

Maybe it was about the geneology of loving, caring, wise parents to bring him up..

3. kayy

kayy Member

u know waht the best thing about jesus is? there are so many MYTH about him, and many different ones, that opposes each others. One is about the holy grail, yeah, this theory says that jesus IS in fact the holy grail, yeah...(!) because it is said that the grail is a symbol of RECEPIENT OF BLOOD, it means it is a about a sacred BLOODLINE, that goes way back in time, and that he came in fact from a powerful family of kings .... and is that cool? i dunno, it think it is against, the "pure love for everyone and everyone is equal principal" , it is quite elitistic i think.... and today some people claim to be the decendant of this sacred bloodline..... the chosen ones.... ha ha!

4. nitemarehippygirl

but if someone made a family-history-prophecy about me, and i was adopted by a couple of nice folks,
    it still wouldn't make sense to claim that my lineage was through them.
    the woman was not my real mother, and the man was not my real father.
    only my real mother and father have my geneaology.
    and, especially with something as important as fulfilling a prophecy, right?
    holy grail what? lol....... off topic, but thanks for the response. :p

5. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You took the Da Vinci code waaay to seriously :D

6. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

yes, way to seriously, and yet got the whole concept of it wrong...

Jesus wasn't the Grail, the Grail [according to the Davinci Code] is Jesus' heir...

7. Daniel Herring

Daniel Herring Member

As to lineage, I think it was traced through both Joseph and Mary. Jesus was a man, after all; had a human body. Only if He was all-spirit, as the Father, would He have no genealogy, but He was part human - called Himself the son of man.

8. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

Shoulda said the son of dude...

9. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

well since its impossible to have a virgin birth mary was most likely a rape victim or a whore who lied, joseph may have been the real dad, or just assumed responcinility
    either way, jesus wasnt what christians claimed him to be..if he even existed at all
    probably the truth is joseeph used a old equivelant of the modern date rape drug on mary, got her nocked up, she didnt evejn know what happened & being descended from kings he couldnt addmit it so they claimed it to be a mirricle & the myth began

10. Daniel Herring

Daniel Herring Member

Son of Dude would have worked too, but that would presuppose a more laid back society. Jesus, according to history, was a man of those times. Soaringeagle, actually, science has shown that conception without insemination is possible.

11. AannaSolo

AannaSolo Member

Well it could be said that although the conception was divine (ie. insemmination upon a Plieadean star-ship), They (the Plieadean or Lyran or whoever), would still have to use genetic material and I'ld say that came from the line of David ie. Adam ie. perfect, without defect.

12. telepylus

telepylus Banned

Joseph wasn't House of David.
    Mary was.

It is my belief that Mary is the true descendent from the House of David, not Joseph.

And moreover, Jesus isn't the Holy Grail.
    Mary Magdalene is the Holy Graal.

13. nitemarehippygirl

yeah but that's the point. of course the king david prophecy was traced through joseph (albeit with differing records... son of jacob or heli?), but i'm saying that it's clear that joseph was not jesus' father.
    he had flesh but that doesn't mean he had parents. even if mary's egg was used along with the Holy Ghost, joseph is actually just not in the picture with jesus. all he did was provide a home and taught him how to ride a bike, you know? :p and in jewish law, genealogy is specifically traced through the father. so jesus' genealogy can't be traced through joseph, who was not his father; it just wouldn't make sense.
    i'm not about to tell the christians that a virgin birth is impossible; clearly that one should have been thought through already. if god is all-powerful then surely he can make a virgin preggy. lol.. the thought of jesus' genealogy only struck me a couple days ago when i was reading a book on the prophecies, and i was wondering how christians defend the contradiction between "virgin birth" and maintaining some kind of family lineage.

thanks for the replies, i'm still wondering though..... anyone, please?:(

14. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

i think they use Joseph, possibly because if you take the scripture as truth, the angel who comes to Mary tells her to find Joseph, or that Joseph wil come or somethign like that...so,as i see it, God would have had this thing out from the beginning...

15. nitemarehippygirl

ok, apparently i'm not done with genealogy puzzles.

while we're at it,

this verse: Thus saith the LORD, Write ye this man childless, a man that shall not prosper in his days: for no man of his seed shall prosper, sitting upon the throne of David, and ruling any more in Judah. (Jeremiah 22:30)
    says that all descendents of Jeconiah are out of the king david lineage.

but then in jesus' genealogy: (blah blah...)and Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon. (Matthew 1:11)

a king is not supposed to come through jechoniah's 'seed'. :p but according to matthew, jesus did, so what the hey? how can jesus be legit king?

.........thanks again,

peace

16. nitemarehippygirl

but it was a virgin birth right? jesus didn't have a human father - his father was god, the holy spirit. joseph was only a foster father on earth. therefore jesus, being the product of a virgin birth, doesn't have a genealogy to trace, especially not through joseph, whose sperm didn't come close to having a say in who jesus was. :p

17. nitemarehippygirl

...all right, apparently what i'm doing here is providing the jewish people's defense. evidently i'm quite unoriginal.

18. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

According to the Jewish law (which has been accepted for over 3,000 years) two requirements must be met for lineage to pass through the mother. First of all, the original parents must not produce male offspring (Mary did not have any brothers). Secondly, the female offspring must marry within the tribe (which Joseph was). Mary was of the Davidic line.

In the scripture, God promises Abraham that he will have many heirs. However, this was not stated as physical heirs through his own flesh and blood, but spiritual heirs on earth. (Galations 3:6-12).... Thus, Jesus Christ (God manifested in the flesh) not only fulfilled the prophecy of an heir to the original line that led from Abraham to David (physically), but also the promise of a king. King was in reference to the kingdom of Heaven, not an earthly kingdom.

In regards to immaculate conception, regardless of a medical background I do possess, what I have witnessed and experienced myself in faith proves over worldly understanding again and again. Many family members of mine are part of the medical field, and even with their intelligence, they still come back to the core of faith.

19. Daniel Herring

Daniel Herring Member

I just looked at the two genealogies. In Matthew 1:17 Joseph is included in the generations. In luke 3, the genealogy begins with Jesus and works back. (so it seems both are through Joseph, even though Mary was of the same liheage). Two things struck me as I read Luke. One: a common consensus that Jesus was thought of as Joseph's son is indicated.
    "Jesus? Yeah, I know Jesus. He has his mother's eyes, and his father's big nose."
    Two: when you get to the end of the list, it is Adam who is called the son of God.

20. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

Burbot...you believe in what the Da Vinci code says? :confused:

I do have to disagree with you, Nightmarehippygirl.
    Mary wasn't just a vessel. She was Jesus' physical mother ( And no, I'm not Catholic, and not Orthodox either.). I believe all of Jesus' human genes came from Mary, and a Spirit and gender from G-d.
    He was 100% human, and 100% Davine. ( which already crashes the Da Vinci code. )