i have 0 dollers and want to make my room more zen like with homemade decor.

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by kylepott, Mar 3, 2008.

1. kylepott

kylepott Member

any and all sugestions would be GREAT
    appreciated

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

then we need to know what you have to work with: furniture you can paint, what's lying around that you can work with?

3. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

to make your room more zenlike
    move your bed outside
    can u knock out walls and let the outside in?

look around you, what do you see? what can you do with it to feeel more zenish?
    if nothing, do you need it?
    whats misssing?
    if anything , can you get make or find it for nothing? if so, why havent you...if not, do you need it? if so, does it matter what it costs?

4. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Start off by spending a day to get rid of any clutter and really cleaning the room thoroughly--dusting, opening up the windows to let it air out, vacuuming well (even under furniture). Burn a little sage or incense to renew the energy.

As for decorating, go out into nature and bring back some nice stones, branches, feathers, etc and use them in place of traditional decor (plastic knick-knacks) around your room. Or even create a special "zen spot" where you have a table of your nature artifacts displayed creatively next to a comfy spot to sit and relax.

If you want to do some artsy craftsy stuff for free, go on your local Craigslist and Freecycle and request leftover wood, oil paint, spray paint, fabric, craft paper and whatever else you can think of. Free or cheap old magazines (check the library) are great for cutting up and making unique collages out of.

Make yourself some wall art by finding plant cuttings with good silhouettes, laying them on paper and then spraying paint over them.

Et cetera...

5. kylepott

kylepott Member

lace and feet, any mor sugestions, those are great!
    well i dont hva much. computer, tv, desk futton. lots of junk that i dont need. any suggestions on making somethinh out of the clutter and junk?

6. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

take all your junk and put it in the oven. after a week of not having all the clutter, do you still miss it? if so maybe a zen room isn't right for you. if not, then enjoy you newfound serenity and clutter-free bedroom :)
    but seriously, i would just clear out all your doodads and knick knacks, paint your walls a soothing green or brown or blue, and keep all your furniture natural wood colour, try and incorporate nature into your room, have a few plants, keep your windows open.

7. eponabri

eponabri Member

Put your furniture at angles...

Use only one or two colors (like black and white)

Few nicknacks... put things behind doors, drawers, curtains

Add some greenery...

And dots of an accent color... red, yellow, pale blue, gold