I hate tornados

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by DancerAnnie, Jun 21, 2006.

1. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Oh I am terrified of tornados. I have nightmares about them on a very frequent basis. Mother Nature is one heck of a powerful force.

2. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I know I definitely feel humbled after experiencing storms like that. Amazing how Mother Nature has the ability to destroy humankind...but doesn't.

3. hippychickmommy

That's why I've always been in awe of that kind of force. I mean, it's so raw, it cannot be controlled, we are helpless in her wrath!

4. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i'm fascinated by tornadoes and well, all the other forms of natural disasters.

5. hippychickmommy

I know, me too. Floods, hurricanes, fires...they scare but fascinate me.

6. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i want to experience them...i want to feel an earthquake, i want to see a tornado...

7. hippychickmommy

Not me! Although I did experience a very small earthquake, a tremor really, when I was a little girl. I remember sitting in my room playing with my dolls and there was this rumble. A few things fell off of the shelves but that was it.

I was in a hurricane before. Funny thing is, I was the one calming everybody else down, even though I'm terrified of things like that!

Never seen a tornado and never want to. The last time we had a tornado warning here, about a month ago, I was so worked up that I could feel my body going light, a coldness spreading all over me. I knew I was about ready to faint. They had the sirens going off, the meteorologists on the news channel were saying how eerie it was outside, there were reports of funnel clouds nearby. Man, I almost started puking I had myself so panicked. *shudders* Luckily, we didn't get any tornados here.

8. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

I do too.

9. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

the worst natural disaster that I dont want to go through is a flood. rising waters terrify me beyond belief

10. hippychickmommy

Madcrappie, you sound a lot like me when it comes to those things! I used to have nightmares about flooding and huge tidal waves as well. I haven't dreamt about those lately, but for a while, it was pretty consistent.

The tornado nightmares have been going on for years and years. I am just so deathly afraid of them, always have been since I was a little girl!

11. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

*raises hand* Hehe...well, since my grandma moved away, our nice storm shelter was sold (it was in her yard) and now...we pretty much have the middle of the house and that is it. The closest tornado we've had in a long time was my 8th grade year, one ripped through between here and the next town in the middle of the night. No one even had a clue it was coming, except for the people who were living on land out there. Now that's pretty creepy.

When I was 5 or so (in '92), 3 tornadoes tore my town apart. Granted, I wasn't living here at the time, but our next door neighbors in our old neighborhood had a basement, so the whole neighborhood met up there, and all the men there stood up in the garage, watching the skies. I wanted to be up there, too, so with my mom protesting, my dad took me up there and we and the guy who owned the house got into a car and drove a couple of miles from the house, towards the storm. I got to see my first (and only) tornado that night. It was far enough away it was safe, but wow...talk about crazy. I've been fascinated with them since.

Holy shit, a human voice??? Now that WOULD scare me. That's just plain creepy. If they ever incorporate that here, I think I'm going to personally slit the throat of the EOC director. That's scary. Were they like...all robotic and junk? Our tornado sirens are just those normal air activated warning sirens. It's funny, though, sometimes it gets so windy that they sound. All that makes them work is air being pushed through the horns.

12. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

well, sometimes the sirens are knocked out by high winds, or whatever. last march/april, when that microburst went through town, the winds were so fierce, that they knocked out our tornado sirens, so they couldnt properly warn everyone, when the next storm came through, so, they had the police department going up and down the downtown area, and other heavily populated areas to tell people to get inside, there could be more nasty weather.

13. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

the worst ones are the ones where you see more than one funnel!

and you cant run away, no matter how hard you try. they always seem to be following you!

14. hippychickmommy

I think I may have jinxed myself.

A little while ago I was at the store with my kids, picking up a few items, and while I'm standing in line to check out, I look out the front windows of the store and the sky is dark, and I mean dark. It's been hot and humid all day, and you know what that usually means.

So we check out, and as we're heading outside, this massive streak of lightning just pierces through the sky. The kids start screaming hysterically, and I rush them out to the van, getting them all strapped in as quickly as possible. Meanwhile, I'm in a state of panic, but I don't want my kids to know, so I try to put on a front of calmness.

But I'm starting to get worked up because it seems like people are just sitting through green lights. My oldest sons says "Oh my goodness, I'm going to roll down my window and start screaming at people to go!" Of course I told him it wouldn't do any good. [​IMG]

So as we head into our neighborhood, the wind is just whipping branches off of trees and stuff is flying everywhere. I'm like ready to shake into a million pieces at this point. We pull into the drive and into the garage. And I sit there for a moment thinking "okay, now what?" Our garage isn't exactly close to our house and I'm thinking how am I going to herd all of these kids into the house without mass chaos? But I'm thinking, okay, if there is a tornado, I definitely don't want us out in this garage with all of this heavy machinary in here, we need to get into the basement. Finally I bite the bullet, grab my twin son and put him on my hip since he's always a dwaddler and would be frozen in panic walking, then I grab hold of my twin daughter's hand, and tell my oldest son to make a run for it.

It's absolutely pouring at this point, and as we make our way to the house lightning streaks through the sky and the thunder just cracks super loud and all three kids start crying again. I get them into the house, take them directly into the basment, and no sooner do we get down there does it start to hail outside, and the lights go out in the house. Of course, the kids started crying again and they all huddled up against me shaking. Poor things. Luckily, the lights didn't stay out but for a minute, and once it looked safe to go back upstairs, I ushered the kids back up there.

Not too long after that, I checked the news and of course they said we had a severe thunderstorm warning and also a tornado watch, that there is another line of storms heading this way.

My husband just called me to make sure we were okay, and he'll be home soon thankfully. But I really hope we don't end up getting more storms. Particularly of the tornado variety. :eek:

15. hippychickmommy

Oh my goodness. I don't even want to think about that with the weather we're having here!

16. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

where do you live again, hcm??

do you live in tornado alley, or somewhere that you arent used to tornado sirens goin off?

17. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

OH mY GOD its just got as dark as midnight

If i do not see you guys again, take care and we will meet in hell

18. hippychickmommy

Ohio, same as seamonster. We don't get tornados this way often at all.

19. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

I see!

Ive been through many of storms that were as dark as night, its scary.

20. hippychickmommy

See, you're getting what just rolled through my area. And I hear on the news there's another front of storms behind it.