I had to kill a duck

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by spirit of the night, Mar 8, 2008.

1. spirit of the night

spirit of the night Senior Member

it was so horrible, i was in the park walking with a friend and her dog.

we were by the lake and there were some ducks, and her dog got one as he (the duck) tried to fly away, Ollie (the dog) was biting him and shaking him and when he let go the duck was still alive so I picked him up and i tried to ring his neck, i tried to break the neck to put him out of his misery, but i the bone was too hard, so we (my friend and I) put him down, we didnt know what to do, both of us were crying and shouting, we were so distressed by what we had to do, so my friend got a stick and she had to hit the duck on the head with it, we made sure he was dead, and then we buried the duck.

I have always loved animals, i have been a vegetarian for nearly 6 years and a vegan since october, so ofcourse i did not want to kill the duck, but we both knew we had to to stop him from being in more pain.

but i just feel so guilty, it wasnt exactly a quick death or a painless one, i took the life of an animal, i know that when i was little and didnt know any better i killed ants, and i once tried to kill a fish when we were fishing but i would never harm any animal intentionaly now, when i was like 3 years old i always said to people "i am passionate about animals" i have two dogs who i love and adore, i believe that they are our brothers and sisters in nature and they definately have souls.

has anyone else had this happen? should i feel guilty?

i also know that death is a part of life and i have never been shy of death, so one part of me is accepting of it.

thanks for reading my rant.

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

2. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

ive had to do this plenty of times. dont feel guilty, you did the best thing for the duck.

3. Hilder

Hilder The Ganja Queen

That sucks Man, im sorry. I rescued a baby bird once and he had a wound in its belly from falling. I tried to clean it and fed and watered him and had him in a moss nest in a cage outside. after a week, he started getting sick again and when i picked him up and looked in his wound, there was a million maggots in its wound. I tried flushing them out, but i didnt want it to be in a lot of pain, he was dying, you could see it in his eyes, so i snapped its neck, washed it, buried it in the back pasture and put stones on its grave so nothing would dig it out. I asked Goddess to take care of him. he is happy now. I know it.
    you did the best thing you could have done for the duck, and you did nothing wrong.

4. spirit of the night

thank you both so much :), Hilder, im so sorry you had to do that, and yes, you do have to see it that the creatures soul is either resting somewhere ( tir na nog in my view ) or will go into another beings body, both ways they are peaceful and happy.

thank you again :)
    blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

5. rak

rak Senior Member

oh no!

6. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

You did better than I could... Once I had a rat that was dying of some breathing problem, but I was too much of a chicken shit to put her out of her misery. I was stuck in the middle of the country with no car and no one that would help take it to the vet.
    So I gave her a fruit loop, because she always loved them, wrapped her up in the bandana she always slept in, and stayed up all night long with her until she died. I talked to her so she wouldn't feel lonely and I wished I could get up the courage to kill her, but I just couldn't...
    It's so sad when that's the only thing to do...

7. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

It was the right thing to do. I'm sorry it was so difficult to do so, also. That would be horrible having it dragged out a second longer than it has to be. I wish there were some kind of thing we could all take with us when we go out just for the purpose of putting a dying animal out of it's misery. I've seen so many not-dead-yet dogs on the side of the road and it just kills me, I would give anything at that point for a gun or a shot or something to kill them as quickly as possible. It's awful.

8. spirit of the night

that is tragic but also very sweet, im sure the Rat was grateful in her own way.
    my dog Huberta got a pigeon once, but she only gots the wing i think, the poor pigeon could stand, so i just sat with him/her by my aga holding her/him until her/him died.

but i really believe that they can sense emotion, the animals we have helped know it somehow.

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

9. spirit of the night

thank you, and i know what you mean, i was thinking if only i had a gun on me, but being 16 and living in england that would have been impossible.

mercy killings, horrible yet kind, its hard to get your head around it.

but like i said earlier, i think they understand. when my great uncle died he left two dogs, one was riddled with cancer (the other one is going to live on a farm with a family) and she had to be put down, my mum went when they did it, she told me that she lifted her paw up to the syring and she didnt flinch when it went it, she has an accepting and peaceful look on her face, she knew what was happening, she was ready.

animals know more then we think, they are so intuitive and clever, more then us most of the time in a way.

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

10. Hesh

Hesh Member

i had to kill a baby kitten once. the dog grabbed it and broke its back. it was laying there crying and twitching. so i grabbed what i could, a big rock and killed it. buried it, but later on the dog dug it up and ate it. i guess thats life. even animals kill others for food.

11. Hesh

Hesh Member

the most disturbing and messed up thing u can hear is a pig about to die. my dad was telling me about how he witnessed it when he was younger in the french countryside.
    the pig senses/knows hes about to die, it screams and screams. then they slit its throat.

12. MaryJane69

MaryJane69 Member

ugh thats very sad. ive never had to do that before but have had animals i tried to save (birds) die in the night.

we had an old rat that almost overnight went downhill. she was so sick, and not herself. it was the middle of the night when she got really bad and i made the choice we needed to end her misery. we didnt go to a vet, i can go on with my reasons but basically the way they do it isnt more humane then a shovel to the neck. trust me, ive seen it. its traumatic seeing an animal but down from a shot. anyways my bf and i cuddled with her and loved on her and he took her outside, put her down, she just laid there, calm. he quickly took a shovel to her neck and it was over. we buried her in our garden with her friend. it makes me sad to think of her, but she had a long life (3 years, 1 with me) R.I.P baby gurl

13. spirit of the night

i think its amazing the things you can do if you need to, i thought i couldnt kill an animal, but i guess i was wrong.

i'm sure that alot of animals being put down are not as calm as the dog we had to put down (puffin), but thankfully she was ready and your Rat was loved right up to the end.

killing a kitten must have been beyond horrible, not that killing a cute animal is worse then killing a rat, but that the kitten was young and had not had a life yet.

i can image that when an animal does not want to die, they let you know. not a nice sound i bet.

im sorry for all the awful things that we all have to do sometimes.

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

14. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

i killed alot animals whenever i was at my grandparents farm. a good number of them were pigs. never slit their throats though. allways bashed in their heads with an engineers' hammar. they never screamed, they did convulsed to no end though! slaughtering allways sucks. i allways knew i was taking a life. i know alot of people who think i'm cold blooded, because they never had to kill before. i'm know this was hard for you, and i hate to be the one to tell you this...but that was real life! life must kill life in order to survive. the dog was just being a dog, acting on her hunting instinct for survival. that's just the way it is.

15. Sitka

Sitka viajera

At least you can eat it.

16. spirit of the night

i dont blame the dog at all, i know that he was just doing what came to him normally, thats nature, but humans have a choice. we should avoid killing any being, keep the dog on a lead when birds are around ect.

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

17. pixeewinged

pixeewinged Visitor

18. spirit of the night

thank you for saying that, sadly we have to take what is thrown at us and deal with it, otherwise we would just stay in our rooms with the windows closed all our lives, nothing wrong with doing that every now and again though :p

i'm so glad you came across that duck from dying, one dies, one is saved.

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

19. Toby Stanley

Toby Stanley Member

The most admirable trait of human beings is their ability to show mercy to any living thing in pain or suffering. I would say your action it is proof that you are a good person since it is what we do which illustrates our true character. I know it is hard to be placed in this type of situation, but be assured, you absolutely did the right thing!

20. myself

myself just me

Given the situation, you did the best you could... I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through this, though.