I Feel My Parents Are Dismissing My Sexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out and Confused!' started by The Renegade, May 8, 2015.

1. The Renegade

The Renegade Members

I've told my parents that I'm bisexual and they just tell me to wait till I'm more mature to tell them that and I have known this since I was 13 I'm Now 17 and I just fell trapped in my own skin what should I do to ease my discomfort?

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Reach out for support. There are many on-line support groups if you can't find some to attend in person.

3. Inga

Inga Member

support is ok, but, you really have to be strong in yourself, it doesn't matter what other people think and if they love you, they'll understand. I'm a bi-sexual woman who fell deeply in love with a muslim woman who reluctant to break with her parents expectations married the man chosen by them to be her husband. It would be unforgivable of me to describe her unhappiness thereafter. just forget other people (however close) if there is any purpose to this life then it is to find our own way. you should never feel that you have to apologise for love.

4. KewlDewd66

KewlDewd66 Member

You may want to take it easy on your parents. They may not be too comfortable with the idea of your bisexuality. They also belong to a different generation of people who may have felt to live their lives far more in line with the societal expectations than you do today.

Well, you did your part. You told them.

Move on, and live your life as it suits you, as much as you can, under your circumstances. Waiting for the paint to dry is usually the worst solution...

KD

5. AstralBear

AstralBear Feed the Bear

When you're young, your parents (If they love you) will put you up on a pedestal and have high expectations of you, so it is more than likely a culture-shock thing for them. Four years is not really a long time to have certain tendencies. It's not uncommon for sexual exploration to last into your early to mid 20s before you know who you are. Surround yourself with like-mind people and get to know someone you can confide in.

2 people like this.
  6. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

You are a child....telling your parents you are bisexual is like telling them you are sexually active. Are you? Or are you simply finding yourself attracted to girls and boys in your mind?

To quote Renegade : "It's not uncommon for sexual exploration to last into your early to mid 20s before you know who you are."

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

LOL, and who are these people in their mid to late 20s who know who they are?

If you don't know by 13, you are never going to

8. AstralBear

AstralBear Feed the Bear

I guess you never went to college. [​IMG]

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Really, laughing smiley

Beeeecause college is where everyone finds out who they are, what they want to be?

OP is 17 and male, he doesnt need to say to them out loud he is oversexed, they already know that

10. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

I think you should try having sex with a dude in front of your parents

1 person likes this.
  11. AstralBear

AstralBear Feed the Bear

It was a joke.

12. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

what do you want them to do?

13. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Unless the pattern has been to openly discuss your sex life with them, that in itself is going to shock them.

14. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Trapped in your own skin? How exactly are you trapped?

You think your parents have to agree with you about what you want to do with who, before you can do it? They're not freaking out, why should you give a shit? Being 17, as far as they're concerned you shouldn't be having sex and if you are they don't want to know, of fucking course they're dismissing your sexuality, get over yourself already.

"lol whatever" is a great reaction to coming out - move on with your life. Coming out shouldn't require any more than on "okay", that's all I've ever given, and I don't think I ever offended anyone with my dismissal. They're your parents, they don't need to be thrilled about anyone you want to have sex with, and they probably have a good point, that you should shut your mouth and keep on growing up - everyone's somewhere on some sort of bisexuality gradient, you're not special for realizing it.

I don't see why you enjoy being a victim so much.

1 person likes this.
  15. deleted

deleted Visitor

Transgender is a personality first and sexuality 2nd. I feel that the op wishes to be a girl which would make a lot more difference when it comes to sex with men.. Gay thats ok, but the my son is wearing skirts and bringing guys to her room. not going to fly so well.

16. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

In that case, wouldn't the parents be exactly right? At seventeen, you've got a lot of growing and thinking to do even if you're NOT trans, your parents should tell you give it some time - you don't have to take a cleaver to your johnson the second you realize you might like wearing a skirt, you know?

If OP means trans, I totally agree with OP's parents. Go easy, what sort of change do you want, exactly? If we're talking something medical, you have many decades of young life, considering modern medicine, and that sort of procedure will get exponentially better as medicine improves, I can't imagine a situation where your parents could be more right about waiting and thinking about it.

1 person likes this.
  17. deleted

deleted Visitor

I was transgendered aware at the age of 11. I didnt play with both teams fully til I was in my late 30s, before that I was all about girls, loved them so much to take their clothing.. ;p I was receiver of oral same sex when I was 27. As for being a CD/TG person.. I dont live very much as a female role, though Ive gone out plenty public.. Im with a women the last 3yrs, she likes that I dress more than I do. I just dont have the time for it.

1 person likes this.
  18. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I'm not saying he'll suddenly decide he's strait as a rail, just that I don't see what he thinks his parents are doing wrong.

It sounds like he's suddenly come out in dramatic and demanding fashion, and his parents are just being calm and level-headed, and counseling against rash action on his part.

19. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

I agree with what's been said, your parents don't have to have much of a reaction when you're talking about your sexual desires, it's kind of gross.

Try to stick away from labels, you may see bi-sexual as an escape from social norms, but it's just as much a label as straight or gay. Just love, love
    Your parents are gonna be supportive or dismissive when you bring a lover into your life. That's when some of your concerns matter. Right now, they're a little more self centered than you wish to be perceived.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Parents dont know shit. How are the parents going to understand if they've never been through it.

themselves or never really been close to someone that has.

And in the end, as if the parents are really more concerned with themselves, neighbourhood gossip, than their kid. Worried if dude runs around telling everyone he is bi, take that much longer for a girl to trust him, get married, have babies, give them grandkids....that is follow the same boring existance they have cos they have never known any different