I don't like oklahoma anymore.

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by Lilyrayne, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

It's true. I don't. I really really want out. I am not sure why. This state is just starting to rub me the wrong way more and more. Mostly I am bothered by the weather and allergy issues, yes I know those are in every state but they seem so bad here... every time I go visit another state I always feel better when I'm there because my allergies lessen or go away and it's not so damned HUMID all the time. We can't even have comfortable winters. And I won't even go into how difficult and expensive it is to obtain healthy and fresh food, especially if you want to attempt to be organically vegan/raw. Jobs suck and unfortunately the people are starting to suck more also... It seems every year the dimwit population grows exponentially and now the non-dimwits are outnumbered. I don't know, maybe I'm just whining too much, lol. Felt good to vent though. :)

2. johnnystillcantread

johnnystillcantread Member

Maybe your just having trouble loving Oklahoma because of that Broadway musical. Cheers and happy weekend!

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

no, I don't get that at all...
    :)

You pretty much know what I did: get the degree, found the first job that came along and found out Eastern Colorado is a lot like El Reno.

I do miss the cost of living. I pay triple the rent on double the space and I'm living in a "steal" of a duplex.
    food is about the same. I have a Wild Oats, Vitamin Cottage and a Whole Foods withing 15 minute drives.
    King Soopers, part of Kroger, offers random organics, but the farmers market is the best option through end of October.

I think the state taxes in CO are a touch higher.
    the education options are plentiful but expensive.

4. lilchef

lilchef Member

maybe you can try to adjust but I love ok its just the people. I have sinus problems but i deal just to keep the family feeling

5. purple gypsy

purple gypsy Banned

Lilyrayne- I have the EXACT same problem as you. I could not not agree more. I'm only holding out here, in this miserable state, till I can sell my business and get a boat. I'm thinking Washington Lake in Seattle, Washington. I have family there. But for the mean time, I'm wading it out. What part of OK are you in? I'm in Pauls Valley.

6. Codone

Codone Member

Yeah, the weather's a bitch, not to mention the generally judgmental/closed minded atmosphere, lack of art/theatre/dance/music, often poor educational systems and other issues. The state is one of the poorest in the nation, hence the high wellfare rates and low-paying jobs. The roads are in terrible shape. And yes, my allergies were horrendous there due to the high humidity and mold, as well as the godawful amount of cedar pollen, etc. I saw on a list of Top 100 Worst Allergy Cities in the US that Tulsa was ranked #1! OKC was somewhere before #20 as well, and those are just the CITIES. I wish they'd do analysis on the small farming towns when wheat is being cut! Achoo indeed. However, moving to a new location is NOT a viable solution to allergies, as you will just develop new ones to the prevailing allergens in your new area, this has been researched and is unfortunate.

I grew up in small town OK and went to college there as well, and only left a year ago. I spent the summer in Logan, Utah which was SO MUCH WORSE than OK, believe it or not. Now I reside in Las Vegas and am diggin' it.

There are definitely things about OK that I miss (that I never thought I would before) like the "scary" thunderstorms/tornadoes, the friendliness of most of those simple-but-sweet Okies, the low cost of living, and the landscape in general. I didn't appreciate the state's natural beauty until moving to a barren desert with NO rain, no grass, and ugly mountains instead of the rolling hills and green plains of OK. The sunsets in OK are awesome, too. I try to visit every 6 months since my whole family lives there, lol and it's nice to go back...AS A VISITOR. Could never live there (or build a house/invest in a business there due to the worsening weather conditions). I feel your pain for wanting to get out. And you will, as long as you are committed to it and not just one of the HUNDREDS of lazy bitch-and-moaners who complain about it but do nothing but drink and party their money away. LOL you can see the remnants of my Okie bitterness. :)

Peace...

7. Chainz

Chainz Member

Ragweed and Johnson grass is hell here.

8. Coleosis

Coleosis Member

The low cost of living has to do with the low paying jobs. My job pays pretty crappy, but i work on cars on the side so i do alright for myself. Ive visited a few other places that are nice, but i couldnt imagine leaving oklahoma any time soon. The economy doesnt seem to be hurting as bad here as everywhere else. Probably because we have so many crops that are grown here and exported out of the state. The housing market isnt that bad here either, new houses are getting built and bought by the dozen it seems. Stupid people are everywhere....I just mind my business, the dumbasses and bible thumpers dont really bug me. I just bought a house with my brother in Mustang (the town i grew up in since i was 8). Everyone is different though. Oklahoma may be your trash, but its my treasure.

9. withywindle

withywindle Guest

We moved to East Oklahoma from CA. I love the people, the greenery, and the lack of traffic. I do most of my shopping online, which is mostly used books. If I were rich I would live in San Luis Obispo, CA near the beach. But we are not rich, and we are retired.

Every year we get chigger bites and have had tick fever twice. The humidity makes it hard to breath. My DH would love to sell and move to NM, but what? Desert? I hate the desert.

I get bored with no place to go. When I lived in Berkeley in the 60s and 70s, there was so much to do, so many towns and cities to visit, even Yosemite. The only pretty town in OK is Guthrie. I love Eureka Springs, AR too, but who can afford to live there? And no ocean.

My biggest fear is being sent to a rest home that is full of fundamentalist Christians. Or trying to get to the hospital when you don't have a ride, because when you live in a small town Tulsa and OKC is all you have.

And your post is ages old and you are probably still living in OK.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

What about the gulf coast? Or the carolina coasts?^^^
    And Lily is out of OK, I believe. I've not heard from her in a long time.

11. Die Welt ist schön

Die Welt ist schön Guest

I know what you mean, Lilyrayne...that's why I'm getting out of here in a few months:D

12. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

old thread, but:

I would agree, and ditch the US, but think about it: if the cool people leave, isn't that exactly what's making it suck?

Stop it, and take your state back, instead of running.

13. dabla

dabla Member

A tip for people with allergies:

I moved here when I was 10 from over 2k miles away. My allergies were insane. Like blowing snot 24/7(sorry for the visual), sneezing, the whole bag. Even nosebleeds. This year I started eating locally harvested bee pollen and honey. It helps a bunch.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

To me, its paradise. I hate being anywhere else. And I do have sinus problems, too.