I don't get the appeal anymore...bunk family

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by LSDawson, Dec 26, 2005.

1. LSDawson

LSDawson Member

seriously, why do you kids even bother?

for every "beautiful" soul there are 30 other gutter punk acid casualties trying to milk you for everything ya got. its like the worst crowd from every festie/tour in the woods completely cracked out on anything and everything.

its just a cop out

lets be completely worthless and travel around getting fucked up in the woods all day everyday

its anything but a traveling utopia or whatever the fuck you guys are shooting for

i guess i just dont get it

reminds me of All Good tour rats and the dirty drainbows that were there, without a bracelet, sleeping in the mud, about 40 pounds underweight, trying to get a schwill of my beer, dosed for free, or trying to get their heroin fix

(flashback to the rainbow crew at the gate 8 am the first morning while we were in line, they were some grimey ass kidzzz, even the girls had beer bellies, they were puppy pullers, dancing around still spun CHUGGING PBR, bumpin KRS-one that early in the morning - makes me want to puke)

you'll never get out of this mazzeee

haha rainbow gatherings scream 95 dead lots

i know this lacks thought, paragraphs, and is basically just a stream of thought but i just dont see the appeal anymore to get retarded in the woods and hope to not get robbed.

don't even get me started
    on a-camp

i think its just sad but i think its funny as shit at the same time watching human train wrecks

2. LSDawson

LSDawson Member

my brother

I'll admit I've actually been to a couple of national gatherings back in my Phish touring days. I went to the '98 gathering in Arizona and the '99 gathering in Pensylvania. The first one I was traveling with a friend and we stopped through, and at the time, having lived in Orange County for the last 10 years, it seemed kind of interesting. A beautiful natural setting, free food, free drugs, about 20,000 weird drugged out characters wandering around to keep you entertained. I was younger and wide eyed and still thought the "scene" was a positive thing.

The next year before jumping on summer Phish tour a couple friends and I decided to check out the national gathering that year in Pennsylvania. This time I got a better look at the scene, and came to the conclusion that I think most of the folks on this board have come to at one time or another; hippies and kidz aren't any better people than "normal" folks, and whether you're in normal straight society, Phish lot, or a supposedly "idealistic" setting like a gathering,... there are always going to be a dirtbags ruining it for everybody.

I have to say I met more assholes at that gathering than any dirty jamband lot. And the more wooked out someone was, the more shallow and full of shit they were. From constantly getting cornered by random acid-damaged, self-proclaimed holy men (gatherings are FILLED with "holy men" and cult leaders praying on lost kids), to seeing friends around you get their shit stolen by dirty tour kidz, to constant bickering and fighting among "family" about the stupidest issues, it was quite an eye opener. One of my friends saw some bikers in the A Camp (the one camp where you can drink alcohol) tie a guy to a tree and beat him to a pulp, and there were warnings about some old guy drugging girls and raping them, but besides the more extreme stuff, people were generally just too fucked up and burnt out to treat each other with any decency. Not that society anywhere is that great, but folks at rainbow gatherings constantly talk about how loving and above it all they are, but it's really not true. Not to say that I didn't meet a lot of cool kids, but in general, most people just seemed lost and fucked up.

Gatherings can still be a fun and different experience, (it's fun watching human train wrecks' antics), but don't expect anything even close to an utopia. If you do go to one just look for the decent people and shrug off all the dirtbags and you'll have a good time... kind of like at jamband shows. It's still entertaining, but at some time you have to realize that if you're looking for an escape from all the superficiality, you've probably come to the wrong place.

3. LSDawson

LSDawson Member

Haha share you thoughts please!
    I think my favorite dumb hippie moment was of one the "prophets" I came across on one of my aimless walks through the forest. Some middle-aged, hippie acid casualty actually had a huge elaborately made chart set out that displayed who he believed to be the antichrist, and below the antichrist's picture was a tree showing all of his minions.

And who did this hippie think was the antichrist?... Jimmy Carter. Of all the recent presidents, somehow this guy came to the conclusion that sweet little Jimmy Carter was the antichrist, and all the other presidents were his subordinants. The best thing about all of this is that there were about 30 hippies listening intently and totally buying into it. Man, that really changed my opinion of hippies that day, as well as the validity of some of the "insight" I thought I had had on LSD.

4. the6peace8keeper

the6peace8keeper Born Again Satanist

Read my reply... http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2054195#post2054195 to this post here in this section.

Im neither for it or againt it, the whole rainbow thing but it sounds like your just trying to blow off some steam......ok great you think its bunk.....no one says you have to stay in it, on it or around it.

So just treat the whole rainbow thing as you would an ex wife....if you see it commin turn the other way.

5. LSDawson

LSDawson Member

i'll check that out...

i'm not blowing off steam i'm just trying to understand why the kidzz keep showing up when it only gets worse gathering after gathering

6. the6peace8keeper

But ya cant save the world sitting behind a puter screen and just like any other cause or movement its all about the positive and neg thing.

7. LSDawson

LSDawson Member

well i just want to talk to some avid rainbow supporters and hear there thoughts im not trying to get people to stop going.

but im picking up what you're puttin down so its all good

8. fgwolF

fgwolF Member

LSDawson, I know what you're saying. Rainbow gatherings are wishful thinking anymore. The WV gathering was right across the street from a ranger station, there were washed out "punks" that couldn't take care of themselves OR their dogs, and I had my tent stolen, my dog attacked, was smashed in the face for trying to keep other dogs off my dog (and my dog was on a leash being mobbed by 4 others offleash). I'll say maybe there are good vibes, if you rush past front gate and a camp as fast as you can and disappear into the woods, and mangae to keep your things from being taken.

9. the6peace8keeper

Its not my cause but Im sure you will find someone to debate it with......I hope its the person im thinking of.....

10. beenbogs

beenbogs Banned

The whole Rainbow Fam is just a crock of shit. Waste of time for the youngins being raised in such an environment.

11. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Man....American gatherings sound kinda harsh. I've only been to smaller gatherings in Canada and Mexcio and they totally rocked. Maybe you just need to expand your rainbow viewpont. Lotsa love,
    Crystal

12. THE GOLDEN STRING

THE GOLDEN STRING Senior Member

do you rant and rave about everything you dont get

yes thats a bummer but ppl are hurting all over man

13. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

people that post this shit here never did cross the bridge brother,, just let it go..

although lemme talk to a moderator,, maybee we can post a sticky,, somethin like " rainbow complaint box" an we can just keep dumpin there complaints into the complaint box..

then noones gotta read there constant whinning.. ;)

14. THE GOLDEN STRING

thats a great idea

rofl*

15. makno

makno Senior Member

the whole point is that all the pain n self abuse dont stop just cause its not on a lot ....they go back home or somewhere else ...amerika is a fucked up place ....people want out of the isolated money centered existance ....i dunno what ta tell ya ...i donno why you havnt seen the big picture , but with all that babalon throws at it ...i never fail to see immense and volentary kindness , growth against all odds ...and real magic ....at family events

16. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

I've posted my thoughts before. If you want to know, look at the past posts by me. I don't have energy for those who won't see past the negative right now. Time and life is too short.

17. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

Okay we'll throw in our 2 cents

Why do people still go to Rainbow despite the stupid stuff that happens?

Hope, Faith & Love!

Sure, maybe things have gotten out of hand in some aspects these last few years, but the Love & Light is there if ya just look a little.

And as far as those gurus, well, we've seen a lot of kids find a better way in life because some of those gurus really care.

18. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

I've been to plenty. I've seen all the different sides. I find that your experience has ALOT to do with your expectations and headspace. Some of it has to do with where you camp, and your past experience (knowledge). Rainbow is the greatest melting pot of all. Most come there looking for something. It's up to those of us who "know better" to show others the right path. It's a big place. So if you don't like what's going on in one crowd, go find another... Every gathering I've ever been to, I've found the high/loving/spiritual energy to be greater then the negative. Even when I was trapped camping near a bunch of drunks. Everyone has a little piece of "god" in them, and everyone has a lesson to teach. It's up to you what you get from it.

19. merlinclark

merlinclark Member

its up to u to change something if u dont like it. do what u can and dont be afraid to be the only one with an unpopular viewpoint. accept the feather and share your wisdom if u think you've got a better idea. make rainbow what spirit tells u in your heart it should be. it's up 2 us.

20. THE GOLDEN STRING

Ive Experianced Alot Of Love At Gatherings

Sure Theres The Few That Just Want To Bum Smokes , Get Dosed For Free
    Or In Worse Case Sell Or Trade Bad Drugs (only Seen That Once ,and The Dood Was Dealt With In A Swift Respectable Way )