I can't orgasm anymore due to medication (Suboxone)

Discussion in 'True Confessions' started by etkearne, Dec 23, 2010.

1. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

Hi. I just figured I would confess this here, as it is rather embarrassing and disheartening. I have been trying to get my life back on track after years of struggles, and, more recently, opiate addiction.

I am on a lot of medicines, mainly for mood and psychosis. Many of them had anorgasmia as a side effect. Luckily, I never fell victim to it. Effexor, Zyprexa, Lithium, name them all. All can cause it. I never had it, though.

So, when I went on Suboxone therapy to get off of opioids, I didn't think it would actually cause such symptoms. The med works great. I am actually happier, in a good, non-insane way, than I have been since in middle school. The only problem is the orgasm thing. I just cannot reach orgasm no matter how intensely I attempt to do it. Luckily, I have no girlfriend to dissapoint. Well, in a way, it wouldn't dissapoint her, since I can still get and maintain a strong erection, but just no ejaculation and orgasm.

I am only on 4mg of Suboxone. I try to take as little as possible. However, I really can't see myself going down on it any time soon. Things are just going too well to fuck with that already. I just went on Dec. 16 by the way.

So, my questions are few, as I mainly just wanted to make my "Confession" that I likely won't tell my friends any time soon. Questions:

1. Those on Sub Maintenance or Methadone Mait.- does the anorgasmia go away eventually?

2. Does is go away once you go down in dose? How much did you have to cut down?

3. Am I in any actual physical danger from not ejaculating and such? I mean long-term hormonal type stuff.

4. How does one come (hehe) to terms with this problem, which can be caused by many things? This one is the most important.

Thank You much.

2. etkearne

Anyone?.....

Well, I have been doing some research, and it looks like my best bet is to take Yohimbe extract a few hours before I want to masturbate. It apparently helps anorgasmia from medication. That is going to be a rather awkward purchase from the GNC!

3. djomalley

djomalley Fanch King

IT should go away once your body settles in to the medication. I've never had problems on Suboxone but did have problems when I was on larger doses of Methadone and Oxy's. Good luck! Hope your orgasms return soon!!!

4. etkearne

Ok. That is a HUGE sigh of relief. I have seen your posts in the opiates forum, so I know that you aren't bullshitting haha. I still definitely feel my body getting used to the medication every day. I guess I thought it would even out quicker, but since we're talking heavy duty shit, that isn't really an option. I'll just give it time.

5. LetsToastToToast

LetsToastToToast Member

OMG that is a huge sigh of relief. I mean i dont have that problem but the idea of not being able to orgasm would just ... omg it would suck. Good luck man O_O

6. djomalley

djomalley Fanch King

Do you take the 4mg all at once or 2mg at night 2mg at morning?

7. etkearne

I take it all at 3 pm haha. A bit unusual, but that works for me.

Good news- the Yohimbe works very well. I had no problems this morning when I tried.

8. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Cool. I knew I recommended it to somebody. I couldn't remember if it was on this thread or another. I guess it was another since I don't see my name here. How are you taking it? Pill or Tea?

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

9. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

Then figure out a way to stop taking the meds. They are bad for you and only make your problems worse in the long run, I don't care what anyone says!! I know this from experience.

10. etkearne

^Sorry. The meds are a key to the puzzle of keeping me from killing myself. Other things help, but without the meds, the whole thing falls through. Even my very anti-med psychologist told me that in my case that is true.

Take a little Yohimbe, get a hard-on. No big deal IMO.

11. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I've had the same problems before with Lyrica and even cough and cold medicine. If I HAD to be on meds that cause this for the rest of my life I might consider castration as a last resort. Also a lot of mental problems happen after puberty so castration may help by removing the testosterone that modifies your brain and thoughts.

12. etkearne

Good news! Every day that I "try it out", I notice I can get closer and closer to orgasm, and, lo and behold, two days ago, I reached orgasm without any drugs or anything. I haven't tried since then, since I don't want too over-do it, but I think it is a sign that I just have to "re-learn" it.

13. uplift

uplift Member

Is it that good of a high? Or is it just an adverse side affect?

14. MoonlitSoul

MoonlitSoul Guest

Will this work for females as well and which is better pill or tea? I just want to orgasm, I'm so horny! I hope this Yohimbe works.

15. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Join the club dude. 20mg Citalopram looks like pathetic baby talk after what you've been taking, but it's had the same effect on me. It is getting a bit better as the months go by.

Glad you're "recovering"!

In terms of coming to terms with it, I just remind myself about the problems I experienced before, how bad it was without the meds, and it makes dysfunction seem like a piss in the park. Just hope it's reversible.

16. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Just had a convo with my mother about this. To us, sharing these things is perfectly normal.

17. Terranaut

Terranaut Guest

Suboxone--even the tiniest of amount (like a half a mg per day) gives me the sexual side effect you speak of called "anorgasmia". It is so obnoxious. And the more Suboxone your on, the harder it may be to cum. Been there. I couldn't cum when I was taking about 4 to 6 mgs a day. And if I did, it was disappointing. Last year I went away with new g/f for first romantic encounter--we met on net and spent a week in DC together. I could only manage about two or three ejaculations. She was all over the place cumming like a bunny and I had no shortage of wood or want, but dammit, even on 1 mg a day I tried and it just wouldn't happen. I'm surprised this isn't a bigger concern or story. I'm just looking on net for similar experiences now. My sex returns if I stop taking Suboxone--in fact I came for the first time just barely touching myself and I'm 58 years of age. But going without the Suboxone seemed to keep me in misery and I gave up after a month and went back to small dose and crappy sex. I started to go without today again and expect that same. I want to be free.

Danielle Bliss likes this.
  18. Danielle Bliss

Danielle Bliss Members

I’ve noticed I can’t orgasm with even a small amount of suboxone. I feel much better while taking it. I won’t have insurance as of Jan 1st and have about 20 or so 8 mg strips left and I’ve been trying to use them as little as possible. I have my opiate use so much more under control than I did 6 months ago. I’ve noticed I like suboxone more for how it treats my depression and gives me energy. However, even with a small amount I cannot reach orgasm. I get turned on and my body reacts right in every other way except that one. Being a woman who’s always had a hard time cumming without clitoral stimulation, that makes this suck even more because I can’t reach orgasm through masturbation nor through straight up vaginal sex with clitoral stimulation or AT ALL while taking suboxone. When it’s out of my system, great orgasms! Until then I feel like I’m trading sexual satisfaction for not being depressed in other areas of my life. Sex has always been a great release for me so suboxone is an upper and a downer for me at the same time. I might have to try yohimba. Great idea!

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Why the hell you all dont think the meds themselves are at least half the problem is beyond me

I will ask you all the same question:

If none of you had ever taken and medication your whole lives....

Would you be better off, worse off than you are now....or exactly thw same.

And how the fuck would any of you have any idea if there is nothing to compare yourself to

20. Danielle Bliss

Danielle Bliss Members

I wrote what I did to imply , which I thought I did well that in the immediate future the cause for me is suboxone. Considering I was on opiates for 18 years I believe they caused a decline in my sex Drive at times. However, being single and raising two kids and for several years only having that pasty of my life I focused on I can say that was part of the issue at times. I was also on benzodiazepines for 18 years so that as well. All together a combo of different life experiences affected my Drive at times, but not my ability to orgasm. Only suboxone has caused this.