"I can see that you're comfortable"

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by mighty_thor, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mighty_thor

mighty_thor Member

A (hopefully) amusing tale for you:

I was giving a final exam last week, at the university where I teach. While the students were slaving away, I was slaving away, too, grading papers in the back of the room. I had three tables covered with papers, so after everyone else left, I just stayed there, and kept working.

A while later, some students I don't know came in to study in the room. I waved them in on in, and told them that they wouldn't bother me.

One student said "Oh, I can see that you're comfortable."

Let's review: I'm wearing my normal, semi-dressed-up, teaching clothes, it's LATE at night, and I'm obviously busy doing something I do NOT like to do.

Oh yeah, my shoes were piled over in the corner.

It took me a while to figure out the remark, but I've been amused about it ever since.

I actually WAS a lot more comfortable without the shoes, but I didn't exactly think of myself as "comfortable." I guess they're not used to seeing faculty in their socks.

2. minkajane

minkajane Member

I make sure to wear slip-on shoes to class. The first thing I do when I get situated is take off my shoes. If I'm in a carpeted room, they usually stay off for the rest of the class. In a tiled room, I put them back on to keep my feet warm when I walk around.

But yes, it is MUCH more comfortable without shoes!

3. pixierose

pixierose Member

hahaha cool story :)

4. ElChivato

ElChivato SeNioR MeMBeR

nice story. if i wear flip-flops or sandals, i take them off in class and sometimes i rest them on the shelf under the desk in front of me. all these kids will be like "eww, put on your shoes," but i don't see what's wrong with it. eh.

5. mighty_thor

mighty_thor Member

Thanks ElChivato :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with sliding your shoes off in class. Lots of my students do it, especially the ones from other parts of the world. Of course, even though we're at the same location, not everyone is at the same place, if you know what I mean, so everyone will have different ideas.

BTW, I've seen your posts on other threads, and I think you're way cool. You and Nick look SO happy together. You're very lucky to have each other. :)

6. ElChivato

ElChivato SeNioR MeMBeR

i love being barefoot, but i wouldn't call myself a barefooter since i am not barefoot constantly, i just love the feeling and go without shoes when i feel like it.

and thanks, thor. i love nick. i know i'm young, but i really wanna marry that boy. he has such an incredible, free spirit.