I am not at all happy about this

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by moonshyne, Jan 8, 2005.

1. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

Apparently the moderators are able to go and change your posts in any way they like. I mean, I guess I should have known, but I dont like the thought that they can just go into your shit and change it anytime they feel like it. I like xoasflux and all, but when I was going through some of my old threads I found that he had edited one of my posts to say something I didn't say.....though he did leave my original post in quotes.

http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=466486&postcount=9
    thats the post that was changed, and the thread is http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34380&page=1&pp=10&highlight=minesweeper

Maybe I'm just over reacting or something, I just don't like the fact that someone can change the things I say even when it's not offensive or anything. I suppose it was meant as a joke, but I still don't like it.

2. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

why did he touch it? I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it. I mean its not a biggie but still.....I didn't know they could do that

3. moonshyne

I guess he was just trying to be funny...he told me a way to cheat on minesweeper and I told him he was a bad influence or something goofy like that, and he edited it to say "now who's the cheater" If you look at the bottom of that post, you can see that he was the one who edited it. I mean, I know he didn't mean any harm by it, but I don't like the fact that the mods here can just CHANGE things whenever and however they want. I can understand that they need to be able to delete posts and shit when some people get out of hand, but I don't understand why they should be able to change them as well.

Like I was saying, this post in particular was no big deal, but I can see this possibly being a problem with other things.

4. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

yeah

changing does seem like an unecessary ability. deleting is all they need to do

oh well

5. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

i understand the joke, but if the power was abused too often and in the worng way that would be fucked

6. turnthepage

turnthepage Member

seesm like this should be illegal-i mean, they could change it to say anything, 'I fuck schoolgirls' or 'i killed a guy' and maybe the police read this site and could cause alot of trouble for you.

7. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

soon the will probably charge to use the forum,, many do..

8. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

dont say that...now everyone quickly knock on wood

9. moonshyne

I highly doubt they'd do anything that whack....even though I suppose there is a small .000001% chance of it. :p

I just don't like it because it's MY shit, and I like my shit to stay the way I want it. It's like someone going through your closet or something and rearranging your things, even if they don't take anything, it's still disrespectful.

10. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

the power has always been there for moderators to change posts..... sometimes it is necessary...... yet if a moderator does change what you say, their nick will appear at the bottom saying they edited it, so what is the big deal?? no one is abusing it. this is the first time you noticed?? and we had these forums for 4 years now?? see...... whats the big deal?? personally, I wouldnt do it unless it was absolutely necessary.

11. hiro

hiro pursue it

I didn't know they can change our posts. Well damn I wish they would change some of the asshole posts into lovey dovey posts.

12. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

You sure about that?

vB allows Mods to edit without leaving any traces...

13. moonshyne

I knew they could delete your posts and shit like that, but I didn't know they could just go in and rewrite it all.

Like I was saying before, maybe it's not a HUGE deal, but I just didn't appreciate it. If a random lowly user of the forums was to figure out someone else's password and change that person's posts, they'd probably be banned. I know it's not quite the same, but I don't think the mods should be allowed to go and fuck with your shit either, even if it is in good humor. (and assuming that your post isn't something that needed to be changed)

It wouldn't be tolerated if someone else did it, so I don't think they should either unless its necessary.

14. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I think the only solution is a bloody rebellion.

I'll get my revolution hat...

[​IMG]

15. vanadium3333

vanadium3333 Banned

It's just another indication of how things are going here.

16. xaosflux

xaosflux Sysop Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Let me set the record straight on this:

Forum Moderators maintain edit rights to their assigned forums...Super Moderators Like myself have this ability in all forums. (Note this was thread happens to be in MY assigned forum) Sometimes there are legitimate reasons to edit a thread...and it DOES tell you if it was edited, it's not a secret....I'm really not going to put any more effort in to defending this point, it is needed for many reasons, albeit rarley used (in comparison to all of the UNEDITED posts).

HOWEVER...*I* rarely edit someone posts unless it is posted in violation of the posting guidelines, I am much more likely to just delete it in its entireity.

This is from almost 3 month ago, so I'm trying to remember what happened..it looks like I hit the EDIT button instead of the QUOTE button when replying to that thread..notice the edit time: "Last edited by xaosflux : 10-09-2004 at 10:22 PM. " is almost the same as the reply i posted with almost the exact same message " 10-09-2004, 10:23 PM " its also apparent i didnt have 'it out for you' or anything in that thread, I had ontopic helpful replies to you.....sorry to cause any confusion...I've restored the original content of that post