I am lighthearted so my question is what is your favorite film of all time?

Discussion in 'Question of the Week!' started by Mark Longfellow, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Mark Longfellow

Mark Longfellow Newbie

I never thought about this, but I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" staring Donna Reed and James Stewart and that movie changed my way of thinking. I started being more empathetic towards people and I try to be the best I can be to uplift the people I meet. I find myself in tears of joy every time I watch this movie and it really makes you think. Tell me what your favorite film of all time is. One that makes you think.

kinulpture, scratcho, Blando and 3 others like this.
  2. Ang3lyz

Ang3lyz Senior Member

mine would be gone with the wind hands down

~Zen~ and wilsjane like this.
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

A friend of mine, watched The Sound of Music more than 3,000 times at the cinema. Is that a record.? :)

Moon Goddess, ~Zen~ and Ang3lyz like this.
  4. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

If you haven't you need to see it on the big screen, it's great. Every time I watch it, I see something new that I hadn't noticed before....what is interesting is the commonality of characters in movies of that era. Zuzu and young George were both in Bishop's wife...The bald headed guy on the porch was the preacher in Christmas in Connecticut, on and on... Evidently, it wasn't such a big hit at the time it was released.

kinulpture and ~Zen~ like this.
  5. skip

skip Founder Administrator

My favorite is Casablanca. It's a perfect movie in so many ways. You can play it again, Sam, anytime!

6. Alice in SC

Alice in SC Senior Member

Kelly's Hero's! Hubby and I know it Word by Word!

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Ever notice Sam had a 55 key piano..... Another classic to see up on the big screen . . they had it playing once here for Valentine's day...

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. Ang3lyz

Ang3lyz Senior Member

“gone with the wind “but lPearl harbor “is right there with it!!

~Zen~ likes this.
  9. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Definitely Barbet Schroeder's "MORE" with original Pink Floyd soundtrack.
    Great great great hippie flick.
    Watch it before it is removed from YT !
    You won't regret a minute of it. Honest

kinulpture likes this.
  10. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

The Outlaw Josey Wales.

sherman march, scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  11. wilsjane

In case you thought that my friend was completely barmy, he was the sound and projection engineer at the London Dominion, where the film ran for more than 6 years.
    I relieved him on his holidays, so I only watched it a couple of hundred times. :D

[​IMG]

Moon Goddess and ~Zen~ like this.
  12. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I think you probably saw many of the greatest films ever, @wilsjane! And probably helped them sound better.

Of course, with a licensed bar on premises, that would be a great idea to work there on weekends and holidays :)

wilsjane likes this.
  13. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Some newer films are crafted with such perfection that I think they will become all time classics.

Have you seen The Menu?

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Impossible to pick a favorite for me. All mentioned are good. Some of my "favorites" begin in the 30s and some are recent.

kinulpture likes this.
  15. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

If only they used a real airplane on the closing scene of Casablanca instead of the hokey model....

~Zen~ likes this.
  16. wilsjane

As you can imagine, neither myself or any of my engineers ever touched alcohol when we were working.
    When it came to sound, nothing touched watching Oklahoma in a 70mm theatre. Unfortunately, since the film was shot at 30fps and the world was not ready to change the standard stayed at 24fps. Oklahoma had to be shot using 2 cameras, so all the technical costs doubled, needless to say, since different shots were selected, their was a lot of variations between the 70 and 35mm end products. South Pacific was another early example. When 70mm was shot at 24fps, the 35mm was simply an optical transfer.

From that point, sound went downhill, culminating in the film "Sid and Nancy", which I refused to accept for the London opening. I tried to explain, that while at a pop concert it would be impossible to hear a word spoken, bringing this to the cinema and expecting the audience to pay to watch a film with no intelligible dialog was going a step too far. I re-recorded the film with Alan Dykes from the BBC and they wrote all over the cans, "Sound of music part 2. punk version". America simply retitled the film "Love Kills".

Needles to say, I did not have the same problem with "Silent Movie" and Mell Brooks even offered me a lollypop.

Back to Oklahoma. Anyone we heard those 6 magnetic soundtracks running at 137 feet per minute, at 1.33 on this video, had a moment that they will never forget.
    Fred Zinnemann was a wonderful guy, even when he came banging on my front door at 2am one morning. LOL

kinulpture, scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  17. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Can't go wrong with a R&H musical...

18. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

I've probably seen tens of thousands of movies - so it's incredibly hard to pick just one as a favorite.

That said, I will, anyway. It's Unforgiven (1992).

scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

so far, i would still have to say furtopia. sorry, human emo just isn't really my thing. its landscapes and scenery that i watch them for mostly. i WANT (e.t.) alien travelogs.
    odd interesting strange landscapes, architecture and infrastructure. i really seriously am not amused by idiots with guns and cars beating each other over the head.

kinulpture likes this.
  20. MisterE

MisterE Members

I find Weekend at Bernie's to be waaaayyyy more hilarious than any rational human being should.