"I am America, and So Can You"

Discussion in 'Political Books' started by hayduke_lives5447, Mar 8, 2008.

1. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

I recently read Stephen Colbert's book and thought it was pretty funny. I would definately recommend it. Colbert is the man.

2. Vire

Vire Member

I read it, too. It's really funny. Colbert is definetly the man.

3. GreenQueen87

GreenQueen87 Member

I read it, too. It's hilarious.

4. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Heard it was good.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the only thing i know about political books are the authors of them amy goodman interviews from time to time on democracy now. i've never bought any and i'm not planning to, but their thoughts are interesting, and certainly more honest then what you get from the corporate media.

political situations and events tend to have a 'short shelf life', which is usually a damd good thing that they do. i mean its the fucked upness of them that tends to get written about, and if and when the world can move on from that, when the bastards in power are replaced by other bastards in power, who pull a different bunch of shinanigans to screw us all, well sooner or later the perpetuation of that might colapse. something to look forward to.

bitterness over inequities of the past, and the present, which eventually becomes the past, well people DO need to know what's going on and what they can, or might be, able to do about it, but the long lead time of the book publishing cycle doesn't make political books the best way to stay informed, though they do, sometimes, provide insight into the mechanisms behind the news which create at perpetuate todays ongoing tyrannical situations, especially in places that most pretend not to be, and most don't need to be either.

sure there's fertile ground for humor too, but i think its more important to understand whats really going on, what can be done about it and what things need to be and why.

i'm not saying anything about this colbert charicter in the op, primarily and simply because i know nothing about him at all. i don't pay attention to the corporate media because essentially it is no different then state media under repressive regemes.

=^^=
    .../\...

=^^=
    .../\...

6. Core

Core Member

I may buy it this weekend. He's a pretty funny dude.

7. Rogue Element

Rogue Element Member

I have it, but unfortunately haven't read it yet. I intend to though, soon.

8. polexiayay

polexiayay Member

i got in trouble for reading it in study hall, i was laughing to hard and it disrupted the people who were actually studying :D

9. Yummy Ukulele

Yummy Ukulele Member

God, it was good! Read every word! ^^ Also, check the audio recording for it. It's pretty funny as well.

10. lePouvoir

lePouvoir Guest

The funniest (and completely unsurprising) thing is that it and Stewart's book have more fact in them than the usual Dem/Rep books, while also being a lot more fun to read.