Human Nature and the Need For Prayer...

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Jimbee68, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Atheists, before you judge Christians for "praying", consider the following.

Because, I just want to point out, that the belief in things like prayer just come naturally, from human nature. I think I first noticed this in HS, when we studied the play "Julius Caesar" in my Sophomore Year.

In the speech, Anthony makes his impassioned plea for his friend (Caesar). And he tells the Roman plebes that he is telling them nothing really that they don't only already know. He only speaks right on. He tells them nothing new.

You know, I do still believe in God (although I don't believe in an afterlife, &c.). But I do question the need for prayer though. Because even Christians believe God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and transcends space and time. So why would you need to tell him something that he already knows? But that people, comes down to pure psychology, I think.

(BTW, the eulogy is ironic. Because in it, Marc Antony uses the phrase "right on". Our teacher, Mrs. Thompson, pointed out that that phrase is usually associated with African Americans now. But back then, people like Shakespeare used it. Go figure.)

Here (in case you don't remember):

"I come not, friends, to steal away your hearts:
    I am no orator, as Brutus is,—
    But, as you know me all, a plain blunt man,
    That love my friend; and that they know full well
    That gave me public leave to speak of him:
    For I have neither wit, nor words, nor worth,
    Action, nor utterance, nor the power of speech,
    To stir men's blood: I only speak right on,—
    I tell you that which you yourselves do know,—
    Show you sweet Caesar's wounds, poor poor dumb mouths,
    And bid them speak for me."

—Julius Caesare, III, ii, 117-227.

2. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Prayer comes in many varieties, petitionary prayer being only one of them. Prayer always takes the form of talking to God, but it may be most effective in talking to ourselves, thereby keeping God foremost in mind: focusing our attention on our dependence on God and on our basic values. Petitionary prayer is asking for things. Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius suggested that instead of asking for stuff, it might be beneficial to ask not to want those things. Then there is intercessionary prayer. Our Bible study class always starts off with prayer requests, most of them praying for friends or acquaintances who are ill, dying, or in need. That's a good sentiment. Other kinds are prayers of thanks, commitment, praise, and consecration (of ourselves to God). Like chicken soup, it probably doesn't hurt. If nothing else, it can serve as a placebo, and faith in a Higher Power can help believers get through their lives. The serenity prayer, a favorite of recovery programs, is addressed to God, but focuses on actions the petitioner could take independently.
    "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Good self-talk.
    Needless to say, I'm not an atheist.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023