Human Milk Fortifier?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by smiling_mama, Jun 29, 2006.

1. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

2. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

if you cant beat them, add to them....grr

3. rainbow

rainbow Member

have mercy!!!!!!!!!!!

corn syrup solids~sounds healthy.

4. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

I *think* what that's for is baby's who have been suggested to have formula + breastmilk due to jaundice or low birthweight....but this way, it's human milk instead of forumla....but I really don't know....

5. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

it's a prescription for very small babies or those that have very slow gain or weight loss issues. It's necessary in some cases, for very sick babies who can't have regular premie formula due to dairy allergy or whatever other reason.

6. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Well... at least they're not completely taking breastmilk OUT of the picture. It does sound like a specialized suppliment; not the norm.
    love,
    mom

7. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

It is a PRESCRIPTION only fortifer. Mainly for very early preterm babies, whose bodies aren't ready for ANY food yet. Their bodies can handle breastmilk, but as some of these babies are born as many as 18 weeks early, the milk may not have everything ANY baby needs at this point, and many mamas have very little volume ect. These babies need to still be in the womb, but aren't. They often have very serious problems with vitamin and mineral deficiencies without the fortifer. Eveb in cases where the mama's milk has all the nutrients, many of these babies simply need more, as their guts cannot absorb all they need. So, we sometimes need to "fortify." No one likes doing it, but some babies will die or become brain damaged without this.

Usually, these are only used for a matter of days, or at most a few weeks until the baby is "out of the woods." They are mainly used in babies who are just not doing well, have serious gut absorption problems, ect.

This stuff should NEVER be sold outside of a hospital, and in a hospital with a seasoned Neonatologist and a Lactation Consultant who works with preterm babies in attendence.

8. Maggie Sugar

My guess is that selling this over the net constitutes prescription fraud. It should NEVER be given without a Neo and an LC attending.

The substance doesn't bother me. The idea that SOMEONE is selling it over the net bugs the hell out of me. Given to a relatively healthy baby, it could cause kidney damage ect. VERY dangerous.

9. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

I've heard of it being used before for VERY premature babies, but I've never heard of people marketing it over the internet!!! I think the worst part of it is that some mama might read that and think her breastmilk needs "fortifying". :(

10. Maggie Sugar

Yeah, that is why it is prescription, and rarely available outside the hospital. My guess is someone was sent home with some for their preterm baby (which is weird, as in my area, only babies who are still sick enough to be hospitalized still get this stuff) or someone stole it from a hospital.

A healthy full or near full term baby needs nothing other than his mama's milk, if that is at all possible. "Fortifier" is not a casual usage product, it is a drug.

11. minkajane

minkajane Member

I don't think you need a prescription - Enfamil sells this online. Enfamil is a huge company, and I'm sure if they were selling this online illegally, someone would find out right away and make them stop.