Hubble rescue mission scrapped

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by shaggie, Jan 29, 2005.

1. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

2. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

I think it'll be a bigger loss to the space travel than to astronomy. We can do far more with optics on earth than we can in space. With the advent of adapive optics, we're going to be able to do far better visual astronomy here on the surface than we are in spcae.
    As for decomissioning it i imagin they'll just make sure it goes down over the Pacific or something. Im sure even NASA could hit that.

3. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

4. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

Still much can be accounted for as the absorption of the atmosphere is very well known. It is true that you can't see the entire sky well from Earth. Though I still don't see it as any real risk, far more astronomy is being done from the adaptive kit in Chilie than from the Hubble. Recently the Hubble has really been about providing pretty pics to the public. Anyway, visible waveength astronomy is highly limitied anyway. Its a very narrow band thats easy distorted in space. It seems from what I read (which admitidly isnt much in astronomy) that Chandra is worth its weight in gold these days.
    Anyway back to revision, I could really do with a degree.

5. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

6. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

7. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

8. savethegibbons

savethegibbons Member

It belongs in a Museum!

9. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

10. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

it would be a good idea to resurect the space programming and stop throwing tin cans into space and pretending its high tech. Apparently im not even the slight bit impressed by what we are doing right now.

11. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

12. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

Current satellite technology. Don't get me wrong the technology being put on the satellites is quite impressive. However the satellites themselves are not. Largely incapable of long term survival in space, with little if any propulsion. Still there has been no manned exploration beyond the moon. Infact we seem to be in the middle of a wholesale retreat from our own orbit. Soon it seems to me the only commerical space flight will be microsatellites, the small area of growth being possible development of low orbit tourism. Of course there will still be sporadic scientific missions to various moons and planets, beaming back plenty of low res images and a bit of gas chromatography.
    It was space that first made me intersted in science, now theres no way i'd ever go into space science. It seems to me to be the only area of science thats going backwards. Maybe space travel will always be science fiction, the distance may well be too large. The problem is we seem to have stopped looking. Yeah if all else fails we could have a solar sail.............gulp

13. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member