Hpv?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by moon_flower, Jun 5, 2006.

1. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

With HPV I've heard there are two forms....some that cause cervical cancer and others that cause warts. Is there a type that can cause both?
    I don't have it, I was just curious as I've never found an answer to that. And, I like to keep on top of these things in the event that I might ever contract (knock on wood that I don't) an STD or STI.

2. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

I think otheyre the same, but thankfully an Aussie scientist has invented a vaccine for HPV and it is soon to be introduced in the US!

3. lola78

lola78 Member

There are just over 100 strains of HPV. A few are cancer causing. Less than 5. 2 or 3 I believe. Right now HPV is so common 65% of women tested have it.

4. ganja fairy

ganja fairy Member

i recently tested positive for a high cervical cancer risk hpv.

i just thought i should share this because my doctor (a naturopath) is pretty confidant that i can get rid of the virus by taking high doses of vitamin c, folic acid, and some antiviral herbs for three months. oh yea, and vitamin a and c suppositories for the first month. [lemme tell ya, those were fun.] my doctor said that if id gone to a regular md, they pretty much would have just waited for me to get cancer.

anywho, ill let ya all know how my next pap turns out.

5. Wond'ringAloud

Wond'ringAloud Member

Please tell me you're kidding about all that, because if you aren't I reckon you should see a regular doctor pronto!

6. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I had it and got 'rid' of it by going the natural route. Every girl I have told that I have it has had it or has it also...amazing...freaking men/dishonest disease spreaders

7. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

Ganja fairy, your practitioner may have made you feel better, but you were probably shoving supplements up your bum for nothing. Most people with a healthy immune system get rid of hpv naturally (often without realizing they had it). As for regular docs just waiting for you to get cancer, if your practitioner told you that, they are a quack and a fear monger. Avoiding unnecessary treatments does not equal waiting for you to get cancer.

From http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_myths.cfm:
    Also, from http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/HPV:
    To the OP -- this sort of question can be answered easily with a simple google search.
    From http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/HPV:
    As for dishonest disease spreaders, this is probably the disease most likely to be spread by honest, conscientious individuals. Many people have no symptoms, or the virus may lie latent for a long time before showing symptoms. Condoms are not reliable protection against this virus -- it's spread through skin-to-skin contact, not just through the exchange of bodily fluids. And, I've actually asked docs what std's I should be tested for -- including during a visit after having had several new partners and during a visit when I informed the doc that I wanted to make sure I would not share anything with a new monogamous partner -- at no time did a doc suggest a test for HPV, and one told me it was not worth the cost when I had no symptoms and had a normal pap.
    SO -- if he told you he's been tested, has been celibate for months or even years, and used condoms in every prior encounter, he may be completely truthful yet STILL give you HPV.

8. fritz

fritz Heathen

I've not had it. Hope I never do. I've heard the stats for my state alone, are 1 in 4 ppl are carriers.
    I would suspect that many men are carriers and have not been checked, so do not realize that they have it. That would reason out lynsey. They can carry it with no symptoms.
    They are not told to go to a gyne regularly like us, after all. If they don't need their pipes checked, who asks? I may be wrong on this...Gentlemen, any answers? Do they test men regulary for STD's without asking?
    I know that a doctor can freeze, or chemical peel visible warts off, but it doesn't affect the virus itself.
    <edit:> I see dawn_sky beat me to it. :)

9. lynsey

lynsey Banned

nah more like he slept with somone he knew had the cancer causing type of HPV and had to have her cervix scraped and never told me...made him get an std screen before we slept, I got one too (I am really careful) but of course blood tests do not test for hpv...when I got infected he decided to come clean that he was exposed and to what degree he was exposed. Needless to say I am a bit bitter that I was lied to to get down my pants.

10. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

How do you find out you have HPV? What are the symptoms? I'm just worried because my ex-boyfriend had a questionable sex history (meaning, he told me he was a "man-slut", but I'm not sure if he really was or not) and my current boyfriend has slept with 7 girls (including me) and while he's been tested for STD's since his last partner, I still worry. Would any abnormal cells have showed up in my pap smear last July? I have another physical coming up the 25th of July. I know they have a new test for it, is it super expensive? Sorry so many questions, but I'd much rather ask people who know than read biased opinions in online health articles.

11. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

If you do a google search, then look for a link to the CDC (center for disease control) site, you'll get reliable official information and links to accurate info on other pages.

I don't know how expensive the test is. I was told not to worry about it, because many people will catch HPV, have it for a while, never show symptoms, then their immune system will fight it off. However, definitely ask your doctor about it, especially if you have insurance (I didn't at the time I was told not to worry about it, that could be a factor in why I got that response).

The big thing to be careful about is your annual pap smear. That is the best way to catch any cell abnormalities as early as possible, hopefully before they have a chance to become cancerous.

12. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

So, do regular pap tests test for that? I'm assuming not?

13. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

No, they have to do a separate test.

14. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

Pap tests just test for cell abnormalities. They can detect pre-cancerous changes that can occur due to HPV. But they don't detect the virus itself.

15. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I just wanted to know if the same type that causes cervical cancer also causes the warts....like....can you get both from just one strain?

16. fritz

fritz Heathen

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/stdhpv.htm

These are two different sections of the same article. I'm guessing yes. I'm also guessing that a person could be infected with more than one strain.
    I've got a friend in the music industry. He messed around with a playmate and got hpv. He was asking the same sorts of questions.
    He's now of the opinion that it's one of the entertainment industry's biggest secrets. He pointed out that Kid Rock, for example, will just have a line of women waiting for him after a show.
    He said if this girl has it, & gave it to me, plenty of ppl are getting infected. She was almost perfect.
    It's kinda sad. I'm not sure how he's doing right now. The last time we spoke, to his credit.. He was worried about possibly giving someone the virus, & hadn't had sex for about a year. [​IMG]

17. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member