HPV: could be worse

Discussion in 'Sexual Health' started by Crazy_P, May 9, 2007.

1. Crazy_P

Crazy_P Member

A good friend of mine has recently undergone a vaginal biopsy of precancerous cells. Everything on WebMD, etc. seems to say that HPV clears up on its own, and I figured here would be a good place to find specific answers.
    1) If there are cancerous cells that are then removed, does she still carry the virus? What sort of risk is there for a return of these cancerous cells?
    2) Her longtime partner: is he now a lifetime carrier of the virus?
    3) What sort of measures should they take in order to remain healthy in their monogamous sexual relationship?

Thanks a lot for the help

2. Farbo

Farbo Member

Hello there =)
    1) Yes, she will still carry the virus even if she has no vph "around", there is no cure for it. It can return anytime, I have a friend who have it and she have to go doctor to get the stuff off everytime it's there...
    2) Yes, he might be infected, if they didn't used condom, and if he is, in men is difficult to know if he's infected or not, I know guys who made a "test" and got negative while getting another test was positive.
    3) Well, use a condom!... but yeah, HPV won't kill them... the biggest problem will be with the woman, since if she has no proper treatment the cancer can get very nasty. They can still have healthy babies, if the baby borns via caesarean section...
    I hope this info is useful for you. There's plenty of info around on the net.
    Peace!

3. Crazy_P

Crazy_P Member

Thanks.

4. luvmywifesass

luvmywifesass Member

It is important to note that condoms have very little effect on HPV transmission, as it's not transmitted via fluids, but skin contact. This is unlike most STDs. Therefore, the area of the genitals not covered by the condom may contract the virus through contact.

5. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

I just got diagnosed with high-risk HPV today : ( Fortunately, it's not a strain that causes warts. Unfortunately, it is a strain that can cause cancer. (And I have cervial cancer on both sides of my family) I'm still trying to figure out how to tell my boyfriend tonight. I'm very scared.