HP Digital Commericals

Discussion in 'TV' started by dylanzeppelin, Jan 6, 2005.

1. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

I just find them to be so awesome, with the likes of music groups of the Kinks and the Cure supplying the background.. I just love the way they do that deal with the pictures.. so fascinating, anybody know what I am talking about?!?

2. WildRain

WildRain Member

Phenomenal ad campaign! My favorite is the one with the guy lip-syncing "Picture Book" as he holds up the hollow squares, which in turn capture what's seen through them and become photos. For anyone who's not seen it, it's the "François" commercial on this page.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

3. kidswillbeskeletons

kidswillbeskeletons Member

if anything is most incentive not to buy their products.
    i hate it when companies try to use music that is popular to sell their fucking products

4. thrawn

thrawn Member

I think its more the inguenity of the ad's than the products themselves.

5. SpliffVortex

SpliffVortex Senior Member

i have a HP pavilion 754n . they dont sell a replacement on and off switch .my 400 watt power suplly wont fit "it sits on top until i get a new case" to keep this short im buiding one next.and ill i never buy a factory built PC again.

6. Co0kiezGurl

Co0kiezGurl Banned

Yeah HPs suck, but I love that commercial

7. SpliffVortex

nothing sucks more than my first PC in 2001 a compaq presario 800mhz with a little 40 MB HD slow and noisy and ready for this the nortorius Window Me . and 128MB of memorie. i did not buy it it was a gift. thank god it came with a recovery disc.

8. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I love the picture book commercial. I always end up singing the song. LOL. I LIKE my HP printer. My dh works in Technology, and they use a LOT of HP products in their R&D and he loves them, too.

9. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Unfortunately, those products are no longer made by HP. All of their former test and measurement, diagnostic, and laboratory products were "spun off" into a totally separate company called Agilent Technologies.

http://www.agilent.com

The current CEO of HP was just recently forced to resign by her board of directors because of the company's financial nosedive during her watch. She decided (against the advice of just about everyone, including founder Bill Hewlett) to abandon the company's "core competencies" in industrial test equipment (the business that Hewlett and Dave Packard started in a garage in Palo Alto!), where HP had been a driving force since the 1930s, and decided to merge with Compaq and focus solely on the consumer PC market. HP is now just one more seller of commodity products in a market with minimal profit margins, ruthless offshore competition, and limited room for innovation. A good article on the rise and fall of HP is here:

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2005/02/10/carly/

The company that more or less FOUNDED "Silicon Valley" is now just a name being plastered on somebody else's products. Sad....:( At least the company now has the "honor" of paying for their former CEO's $42,000,000 "golden parachute". Not a bad payday for essentially destroying a company, no? :rolleyes:

10. Maggie Sugar

Wow. I was probably going on old info. I kinda tune Bear out when he gets tech-talkie, LOL. I just used to hear HP come up a lot. I wasn't aware that their products were made by someone else.

Our HP Printer/scanner/copier/fax died, one day, due to a carraige problem, and they sent me a new one Fed Ex, barely any questions asked. I was pretty happy.

I'll read those links. Thank you, Ellis.

11. EllisDTripp

Printers are about the only decent product line HP has left anymore, and Carly was trying to get rid of those just before the board dumped her! :rolleyes: I have an OLD HP LaserJet II that just keeps going day after day, for more than 10 years. Thing is built like a tank! Unfortunately, the build quality of their newer printers is a pale imitation of their early stuff.

As an electronic designer, I work with HP/Agilent test gear all the time, and have a few friends who worked for the company before and during the "Reign of Terror" who were forced out by the Agilent spinoff. What happened to this once proud company will go down in business history as one of the great disasters of American industry. HP always had a corporate culture (The "HP Way") that treated employees with respect and emphasized community involvement and progressive business practices. All that came crashing down with the appearance of Ms. Fiorina.

The text of the Salon article, in case you don't want to sit through their ads to read it:

12. Maggie Sugar

That's really sad. HP used to be a good company. Corporate greed spoils everything.

13. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

They are cool commercials

14. EllisDTripp

Another good piece on Carly's "Reign of Terror", from an engineer that worked in their corporate research center:

http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/03/wo/wo_delio030405.asp

And get this, Fiorina might be next in line to head the World Bank, after edging out NeoCon hack Paul Wolfowitz! :rolleyes:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/01/news/international/worldbank_wolfowitz/?cnn=yes

15. SpliffVortex