how to:

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by floes, Feb 13, 2009.

1. floes

floes Senior Member

I graduated in the summer of 2008, and I’m now starting my life, no debts, no commitments, totally free, and I’m hoping to keep it that way. Struggling trying to make the decision “what path do I want to take” I’m really interested in joining a commune to try it. Its just seems like the most reasonable way to live. I mean, the whole selling my time for money just doesn’t work out for me. Im a hard worker, but I have absolutely no care for money. Its just to fake, to manmade. Its pure corruption, nothing makes me mad, I have just learned to find the good in any situation and to be happy all the time. But if I loose money i get this frustrated feeling that I find it hard to overcome for a while, or intill I find the money.. And to me, when something can make me mad, and frustrated then it just shows how evil it actually is and I don’t want to go through my entire life depending on it, even though the reality of the situation is that I have to. So ive been thinking the way I can live the simplest life, and that’s with a commune with people I can connect and live in harmony with. I really have no clue where to start with this all, or even how to find one. Im from western NY, but I really have no desire to say here much longer, ive lived here all my life and I need to see the world. As Jerry put it best “Goin' where the climate suits my clothes.” I wanna head out west like northern CA or anywhere really. So I duno, I guess what im asking is if you know a commune that’s pretty cool, or suggest one. Or help give me any fourm of direction would be great :] because I defiantly have no idea about this, but I need to experience it.

2. coreball

coreball Member

I can't help you with the commune question, but now is the time to do some traveling. After attending college, all I want to do is travel, and it is a financial impossibility with all my acquired debt... so I guess my advice is do what can while you can. You wont regret it.

3. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Wow. You sound very much like me.

I have absolutely no regard for money, it's simply a tool by which the greedy rise to power. And I do not anger. I'm not sure why, but I don't. And I normally am able to view the beauty in just about everything (not too much lately though :/).

I've considered joining a commune myself, but I think that first I'll do some traveling. If I were you, maybe I'd look into the Rainbow family. Check out www.welcomehome.org for more information about that.

4. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

browse www.ic.org and see if anything jumps out at you. if it does, contact them and go from there..

if your just looking for a taste,we are always looking for a strong back to help out around here..

no pay and we expect ya to work,but it will give you a idea what is involved in living sustainably..

5. Cryptoman

Cryptoman Member

It's a sad fact, but even communes need money to operate, and money isn't good or evil...it's an inanimate object. The good/evil is the value you place on it. Greed and hording at the expense of others, or sharing and helping those with less than yourself. It's not limited to money though, it can be applied to resources, or just about anything. I guess it comes down to what are you going to be...how are you going to live your life?

6. rainbowgeek

rainbowgeek Member

While I share some of the original posters feeling about money, and Cryptoman is right, even commune's need it. That is why I think the best way to minimize the negative impacts of the money economy is to insulate ourselves from them, communalized businesses and endeavors and an internal other, gift or whatever economy, and deal with the capitalist world as a group.