How to keep emotions back from a dramatic situation.

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by Bored, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Bored

Bored Member

In movies we are sucked into the plot and the drama. We are actually being hypnotized in the movie which enables us to either cry or laugh. There are ways to actually be unhypnotized from a movie. Once we start analyzing the movie for what it literally is, we are no longer lost in the drama of the movie. For example: analyzing how the director instructed the actors, or analyzing the setting and how it is probably fake.

Once we take the movie and scrutinize it for what it really is, we take the hypnotic trance it has on us - making it harder to "get into the movie."

Then i thought, why not apply this method to everyday life? Take any dramatic (or average) situation in your life and just analyze it; just think of it as a movie. Don't let yourself get hypnotized in the drama. Take a step back and see the situation as a whole. Think about how the situation is no different then a movie and that it could only effect you if you LET IT EFFECT YOU. Once you understand this, you can analyze the situation. Lets make up a scenario: Your girlfriend yells at because you cheated on her, and she begins to cry. Think about the situation as a scene from a movie. Analyze the "set" of the secene - why is the couch facing the way it is? Why do the carpets have stains on them. Or you could analyze the person. Why is your girlfriend wearing what she is wearing, what would happen if i just went to the bathroom, etc. Simply get yourself out of the dramatic situation, not physically, but mentally. After this is done, emotions will not be present.

2. Gentle

Gentle Member

very good advice indeed
    I've noticed more and more in society that people tend to react rather then think in times of distress or trouble which is ironic b/c it's the one time we need a cool, rational mind and not the emotions flying everywhere causing us to lose all perspective. Its funny b/c I've always though this was due to televsion and movies in the first place; our brains are just reaction much like the screen so the way u have turned it around is very unique and original; people can use this in todays world esp here in the western culture. I like the Buddisht ideals about controling the emotions and irrational behavior making the situation much worse. Very cool man. The emotions can be let go in a controlled environment, planned out not when they are the enemy. Love it
    peace
    Gentle

3. Bored

Bored Member

The more i step back and realize the situation for what it really is, the more apathy i feel. When you think about it, we are hypnotized every second of our lives (to some extent). To the plans you have 5 min from now, to what happened a year ago, to what your parents taught you, to what society condems you for, even to the music you are listening to as you are reading this. We are all subject to ARTIFICIAL infulences, that blind us from a meaningless reality.

4. Gentle

Gentle Member

That brings up the whole question if we really control anything at all. Free will starts to look more and more a myth the deeper we look at these influences and just how many there are. Not that I want to start thinking about that again lol
    but yeah i know what you mean and my own contradictions amuse me to no end :)

5. Bored

Bored Member

Our free will does become restricted if we are sucked in the hypnosis. But humans have the power to realize these and overcome them. So we do have free will, we have the power to choose what we want to be influenced by.