How To Go Barefoot Around Parents?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by canadiangurl941, Dec 20, 2015.

1. canadiangurl941

canadiangurl941 Members

Hey everyone! I am a 16 year old girl, and for pretty much all my life I have hated being barefoot. I always hated wearing shoes too, I just liked socks. Last week however I went to a new friend's house and she had a bare feet only rule. I tried making up excuses but they weren't working so I had to go barefoot. I spent half of Friday, all of Saturday, and half of Sunday at my friend's house as my parents were busy, and sure enough I was barefoot that whole time. And I actually enjoyed being sock less. Enjoyed it a lot. So I now want to go barefoot at home too, but I am way too shy to do that around my parents. Any ideas on how I can get my parents to introduce a "socks off in the house" rule or something like that?

1 person likes this.
  2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

what was your friend's justification for the no socks rule? i understand shoes off in the house because they can track dirt around, but socks are entirely harmless. i kind of feel like she was just fucking with you.

there's no way you're going to get your parents to introduce a no socks rule, because it's ridiculous. but, unless they're crazy they won't think anything of your bare feet. most parents don't, especially at home.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Why can't you just take your shoes and socks off at home? It's home. I can't stand wearing shoes in my house, it doesn't feel relaxing at all. Kick 'em off, put socks on, take socks off... Whoever got a problem with that is a little loopy me thinks.

4. canadiangurl941

canadiangurl941 Members

Idk I guess my parents have never seen me willingly go barefoot so I'm too shy to show them that I actually like it, as for my friend, I've only been there once and I didn't ask, but I might ask the next time I go.

1 person likes this.
  5. Helga85

Helga85 Members

well...I understand you. I would feel awkward if my parents saw me barefoot.
    Just ask them if that bothers them. If it doesn't, why shouldn't you do it?

6. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

I'd just go sockless. Shouldn't be a big deal especially if people in your family regularly go barefoot at home.

7. jamesbreitbart

jamesbreitbart Members

Try starting with a situation in which it wouldn't be unusual to be barefoot, like to and from the shower. You can gradually work your way up to being barefoot for longer periods as you get comfortable with it.

8. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

First, say nothing to your folks. The next time you take a shower, after you put your clothes on, wear whatever it is that you wear, but leave socks off and remain barefooted for the rest of the day and act like nothing's wrong, see how it goes from there. This should be a relatively easy point to get started without drawing too many stares, since you can always fall back to the shower excuse, if confronted.

As for your friend, if she's one to embrace barefoot living, take advantage of this opportunity and hang out with her. You'll find that barefoot positive company makes it easier to learn to like it.

2 people like this.
  9. One Man Band

One Man Band Member

Are they going to make you put socks on?
    Start barefoot in your room and slowly expand your sockless world.

10. RT19

RT19 Members

I was the same I just never went barefoot around my parents but a few years ago I just did and I've enjoyed it ever since. Sometimes I'm even the only one in the house barefoot

Antony14 likes this.
  11. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

I suppose this is to do with society and culture. We always take off our shoes when we enter the house or go visiting relatives, so we would go in with socks or barefoot. So it was norm to be barefoot at home with parents. Also when we enter the mosque, we must take our shoes off. So we would be pray barefoot or in socks. Same at home of course.

12. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

I too wasn't very comfortable going barefoot around my parents either, nice to know I've been in good company all along. Not something you can talk about with others without sounding weird, but with this board you can open up about this insecurity and it's quite accepted here.

I've heard of some homes where bare feet is the rule, perhaps it's so that socks stay cleaner. White socks can be a pain to keep clean in some cases, the only real problem would be wintertime. Rather cold for some to go barefoot even indoors this time of year.

When I was 15 I dated this girl who enjoyed bare feet.. I remember visiting her one Saturday afternoon as she and her sister were both walking around the house barefoot when their parents were home. I remember thinking to myself, aren't they both embarrassed? Never asked that question, probably wouldn't know what I was talking about... It was just normal for them.

I do however remember something that happen to me once. My mom rented one of these carpet cleaning machines to clean the carpet in our home. My street shoes ended up getting the damp carpet re-soiled, so I had to take my shoes and socks off and spent the rest of the day barefoot.

Of course, I'm no longer apprehensive on being barefoot, it's just something you will outgrow if you keep exposing your feet to others.

13. hotasphaltblisteredsoles

hotasphaltblisteredsoles  

It makes no sense to have a no bare feet in the house rule unless they are worried that it will leave normal footprints in the carpet. Not on it. In it. However, that is a valid concern:

Biology teaches us that stepping on carpet barefoot leaves natural skin oils in it. Same reason why, even without a foot sweat problem, footprint marks appear when standing for longer, even on a freshly mopped and dried laminated wood floor, in the same spot. Over time, this natural skin oil buildup still has a dirty carpet look, as in slightly darkening colors on lighter carpet. Most do not use darker carpet anymore. Shampooing the carpet fixes it, but many don't want to have to shampoo that often even with vacuum cleaner sized shampooers Anyway, ignoring the obvious static electricity from walking around in just socks, and long as the socks are clean, the normal transfer of skin oils does not occur. Same with standing with socks on a laminated wood floor.

Interestingly enough, as I have found... subjected to longer times on burning hot asphalt actually get the pores blocked. The sole is stiffer and dryer. The soles MUST be surface cleaned, and the soles can't ever get wet, but any dirt baked into the soles also blocks the natural oils from getting into the carpet, and baked in means it's not coming out of there UNLESS the soles get wet. The carpet will still have to be vacuumed because of the gradual transfer of very slight foot dirt in the long term, but it will still be surface dirt that is more dusty because it's not skin oils. Wet dirty soles and it's the worst of both: skin oils and some baked in asphalt dirt transferring into the carpet, even with surface footprints on the carpet.

14. lilajo

lilajo Members

I don't mean to be rude at all - but I'll just throw this out there. If you're not comfortable being barefoot around your parents, just don't go barefoot around your parents! Unless there's some reason why you want/need to... I mean, I personally choose to go barefoot if and when I find it comfortable to do so. If you don't find it comfortable in certain situations - be it because of physical comfort, or mental/social comfort - just keep your socks and shoes on in those situations. There's nothing wrong with that.

15. charlie35

charlie35 Member

I don't mean to be rude either, but I think you're rather missing the point of this board. In any case, if one is living at home with parents, and they disapprove, that's a lot of your time you have to spend pacifying "mental/social comfort" when you're just dying to be barefoot.

16. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Just take off your shoes, and go! Voila!

17. lilajo

lilajo Members

I don't think so. The never said she's dying to go barefoot, in fact, she said she's spent most of her life hating being barefoot.

I'm just saying, you shouldn't feel like to have to do one thing or another to please anyone other than yourself. Its not about if your parents want you to go barefoot, or if the people on this board want you to go barefoot. Frankly, I don't care whether you wear socks or not - but what's important is that you are comfortable. If you're not comfortable being barefoot in a certain situation, and there's no other reason why you have to go barefoot in that situation, then at least consider that there is absolutely nothing wrong if you decide to wear socks. Just like there's nothing wrong if you decide to go barefoot. Its really about making you comfortable, and not anyone else. It should go without saying, really.

18. nr3c

nr3c Member

I can really relate to the girl who can't go barefoot at home. Let's discuss, either publicly or via private message. I have trouble too.

Antony14 likes this.
  19. nr3c

nr3c Member

Hello. I have a very Simi problem.

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

your profile says 54 year old male and you cant go barefoot in your parents house?

that sounds like a great reason for requesting private conversations with a 16 year old

not creepy at all....

yeah

not at all

txbarefooter likes this.