how to get the smells out?

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by melonhead, May 29, 2007.

1. melonhead

melonhead Member

hey, i live in an apartment, and there's no cross-breeze, only windows on one wall...
    sometimes it smells a bit musky. i light candles and sage (smudge sticks), but nothing sticks around long.
    any suggestions? something i can leave out, so it doesn't smell funky when we're gone for a few hrs?
    thanks.

2. Riggs

Riggs Banned

I would try Febreze, love. You can find it in your laundry area of your store. They have plug ins or spray bottles. I think they have different ones (clothes etc), go check it out.

3. Lorna

Lorna The Magician

you have to get a ventilator or an air cleaner with filter.
    thats the alone way to do this. the air has to be renewed and cant as ther eis only one window... so oyu need this small machine that absorb the air and clean it out.
    it cost about 30-50 dollars, and is a perfct solutio for oyu also by night. it is big like a smalll handbag.. so thats perfect.

4. Riggs

Riggs Banned

No, no, don't listen to her. lol Get Febreze ! NA NA NA NA !

Ok, try my way first than if that doesn't do it for ya. Go with what Lorna said.

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I was about to say an air filter - it is your best bet, and it's a good way to both keep air clean and circulating in a room or house. Febreeze is great too, or even Lysol sells a spray with disinfectant in it, both work for immediate use, but for long term, an air filter of some kind is awesome.

Also, if you've a lot of carpet in your place, lay down some baking soda into the carpet and let it sit for about 10 minutes before you vacuum, it'll help absorb a lot of musty stuff that's there!

6. Lorna

Lorna The Magician

sprays MUST be use only in well aerated places cause what they contain isnt good for health..
    and in a place whos main problem is aeraton it isnt good.

could be mushrooms in the walls too, as humidity cant get out. so buy those pack of stuff to hang on the roof for some days to absorb humidity, with a spand under.
    repeat a week after, and use it with the air filter machine..

7. merrijayne4

merrijayne4 Member

You can also use a little diluted fabric softener in a spray bottle. I use to use this back when febreeze was too costly for me. They now have generic walmart version for $1.24

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm going with carpet mold.
    Cerri's idea of baking soda before you vacuum is a good start, but you will need to peel back a corner of the carpet and pad and see just what your problem is.
    It might be scary!

s it a cats or dogs were here smell?
    or more like old shoes and damp towels smell?

to get the place livable, wash all blinds or curtains, rent a carpet shampooer (or hire it done to get the most water out), be sure to shampoo all upholstery, too. Most likely with an enzyme cleaner for old pet stains.
    even if it is no pets, people smuggle cats and dogs in all the time, and often ferrets are thought of as cage animals, despite teh litter smell and improperly fixed boy scent.

to keep air moving to the bast of your ability, buy two window-sized box-type fans. place them a bit apart, one facing in and one facing out. Run them at the same time, so one pulls in fresh air and one vents the room.

for a cover up scent, I am liking bamboo skewers in scented oil: subtle.
    A plug in sort of thing can help, or potpourri warmer (mini crock pot) with water and essential oils in it. No candles while you are gone, as you know. It might smell funny but it is home!

also, I mop my wood and linoleum with water, white vinegar and essential oils and visitors always say the house smells great.
    (actually, it smells like cat) Juniper/ patchouli and light vinegar on the wood, citrus on the bathroom floor and very light sandal wood in the kitchen.
    bedrooms have carpet. sigh.

9. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

drumminmama~we have that damp towels/old shoes smell in our place. I actually have to hold my nose when we walk in cuz of the smell...I'm not sure if it's the couches or the carpet that are doing the stinkin...the couches smell pretty horrible (time for a steam clean)...
    so what should I do if it smells like that???

10. barefoot_kirstyn

oh, and febreeze sucks...
    I love it when you spray it on everything, the house smells great for a while...but the bottles are so damn expensive, and I found I was using on every 2-3 days just to keep the nice smell...that added up to about $80/month in febreeze...ouch

11. drumminmama

I was Ok with occasional febreeze until my sweetie decided to use a cat-sprayed tent, then leave said tent in his minivan during the day of a hot festival. he slaughtered the van with febreeze (and the tent).
    The van never lost the two smells.
    I cannot tolerate the chemical smell anymore.

Kristyn, can you take the couches outside for bright sunlight (and to see if they are the source of the smells?) for a few hours at minimum, all day if possible?

sunlight seems to eradicate mold/ mildew smells.
    What's Alberta's humidity like?

if it's the carpet, (and again, peel a corner and check.) shampooing and making sure ALL the water is extracted is a best bet, shy of yanking it out. THe problem can be in the padding, and that's where a pro cleaning will really help.
    If you have to do it yourself, think about a home unit rather than a rental so you can run the extraction repeatedly without worrying about costs.

If a home shampooer is about $150-200 (us), that's a better deal than renting a Rug doctor or what have you if you need to clean more than quarterly.
    be light in the shampoo solution, and if you can, get rid of wall to wall in favor of thick area rugs that are able to be aired out and cleaned professionally by dropping them off.

12. barefoot_kirstyn

thanks drummin mama
    our carpets were just professionally cleaned in feburary...not too long ago. We rent, so every time someone moves, it's done. Before feb, it was done in september.
    we're supposed to be getting all new flooring in this place (of course, since we rent, I have no idea when that is going to happen) so if there is a problem I'm sure it'll be found then...I'm a little iffy about peeling up a carpet in a place we rent....
    as for the couches.........we live on the 4th story, lol, and I don't have the slightest clue how I would get them outside! But that really is an awesome idea...I'm forever putting stuff out on our little balcony so the sun can hit it. I cannot wait til we move to an acredge (sp?) and I can set up a clothes line and hang everything outside, lol
    But yeah, I am definately getting the couches professionally steam cleaned in the summer...I still have no idea what's causing it, so hopefully the cleaning will do them some good. The smell is littlerally neauseating (sp?)
    The humidity here isn't overly bad at all. Funny, as it's gotten warmer here, the apartment has been smelling better, but the windows and balcony doors are also contsantly opened now. OY...

13. Rainbow.wine

Rainbow.wine Member

yea, me and my fiance as well as my unborn baby bun still bakin in the oven just moved into an apartment with that musty smell.... i just keep windows open and a fan or two going and burn nag champa and sage and such and it seems to help abit... untill i am gone to work and come home to smell it the same.... uhhhggg... so i think that a carpet shampoo may help or an air filter.... but i was wondering do you think that it may get worse in the winter with all the windows closed?????

14. drumminmama

you do know that burning incense is as bad as smoking while preggers? You are still pulling particle pollutants in with every breath.

When you move, never assume the place really was cleaned. Most likely it had a spit shine, with no real cleaning. Look under the fridge to see how thorough the cleaners were.
    also, when apartments shampoo carpets, they often don't get all the liquid back up, creating MORE of a problem, and leaving a residue on the carpet so it gets filthy faster.

15. wargrave

wargrave Member

I would definitely say try vinager

leave a bowl of it sitting on the counter while your out, boil it on the stove, put some in a spray bottle and lightly spray everywhere--the vinager smell goes away pretty quick and leaves everything smelling amazing

just a thought :D

16. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

leave charcoal under your couch for a day or two. no really noticeable odor to it, but it will absorb the smells of the room way better than any stupid flower-scented crap. prob cheaper, too. change it out with new charcoal every couple of days. my saturn has bad gaskets that leak profusely, so i do this after every rainstorm and it truly helps. i think it'd be a good solution for barefoot since she can't sun her stuff.

17. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

We had that problem and we got an air purifier. It makes a real difference-smells like fresh mountain breeze-haha...at least that's what the package said-I don't know what the mountains smell like

18. Rainbow.wine

Rainbow.wine Member

hmmm i did not know that... it doesnt seem like insense would be as bad as cigarettes though..

19. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

may not be AS bad, but incense is made from chemicals and such...

20. Kpooh

Kpooh Member

Get an ozone generator...cheap & VERY effective...my cat got locked in my car for 3 days (dont ask LOL) and that was the only cure i found to help at all, ran it in there for a couple days then sprayed febreze & it smells as good as new!

I also use it in my house for mold in the basement & cigarette smell.

If you leave it run too long though while you are in the room with it, your eyes will get a bit scratchy!! LOL it usually takes about 2 days for that to happen though.

Good luck