How To Get My Outdoor Cat To Come Home?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Draoicht, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Draoicht

Draoicht Members

I have a one and a half year old cat that I adore. He has always been very loyal and slept in my daughters bed each night. Recently I was visiting a neighbour down the road, and she said the cat visits her sometimes and she hopes it's ok that she gave it some sausages. I was taken aback and said no worries cats get up to all sorts. She went on to say she'd love a pet cat for her kids but can't because she's from Poland so travels too much, I was joking and said well since my cat visits it's like you have a cat so no need to get one.

It seems she took my joke seriously, as the cat is rarely home now, not eating much food, and I see it coming out of their garden to walk across the road and field(full of dog walkers) to occasionally return. My cat oddly enough always slept through the night, so it seems she is letting it into her home to sleep (which doesn't have a cat flap so he would be locked in) This has been going on for a week.

The woman took my number to arrange another visit this week but never txt me, and when I go past the house she now stays out the back garden rather than coming out to chat like she used to. I am going to try clear this up with her, if I can get in touch..

But what I'm trying to figure out is how to retrain my cat to come to this house, would keeping it in for a week or 2 help like when moving house? I am getting a collar saying the cat has allergies so should not be fed, as it came home with vet confirmed hives last week, so I believe they are feeding it unsafe food as it never had issues like that before. I got its favourite toys and treats already. I don't want to keep him inside long term, as he has always been an outdoor cat, so it would feel cruel.

This was my dads cat, who sadly past away from cancer 6 months ago, I got this cat for him and I helped him care for it as he really wanted one. The cat is now my responsibility, and very important to me as my dad adored him. So I really just want them to leave it alone all together, I hope they'll listen when asked, but I want to do whatever else will help.

1 person likes this.
  2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

that sucks...I would go knock on her door and explain about your dad and the cat etc....unlikely she wont co-operate after hearing the story

barring that....tuna....lure it back with tuna

1 person likes this.
  3. Draoicht

Draoicht Members

I am trying to build up the courage to knock on the door and discuss it,( had been hoping to txt or discuss in passing but she is seemingly avoiding me) I am not a fan of confrontation.

I was waiting a few days to see if it really was the case or if the cat was just getting in the habit of wandering. But I am quite sure it's the case. I'm worried I will raise the issue, and she may just deny it and carry on as it suits her and her family. So I want to have some back up tactics to help, tuna will be added to the list :)

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

sounds like the cat likes it better over there so your dad would probably approve of that anyway..just let it be

5. Draoicht

Draoicht Members

Just let someone steal my pet that I raised from a kitten? Anyone can lure a cat by feeding it unhealthy food it's not normally allowed, and then locking it in to get it in the habit of staying in their house.

3 people like this.
  6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

they didnt steal it

you let it out and it walked away

7. Draoicht

Draoicht Members

I'm guessing you never had a cat. There is a cat flap, because it goes to the toilet outside, but up till a week ago it chose spent the majority of its time cuddled up in the house. It is not right to take someone else's pet into your house and feed it food that gives it hives, or at all.

But back to the point of the post, which you are being completely unhelpful about. I am trying to find ways and ideas from other people of how to get the cat back in the habit of staying here. I tried google but it was very vague so decided to try a forum.

1 person likes this.
  8. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Who is Kitty's principal human companion & what is the human attraction "over there"

Food is merely an accessory to human companionship, does Kitty miss your Dad?

Has anything changed at your place? are there other animals.

9. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

As a cat owner I figure it's impossible to get your cat to act in any predictable manner. They are stubborn as hell. My best advice is to talk to your neighbor and ask her to stop feeding him. Just be honest and explain the situation. Sorry I don't have anything better.

1 person likes this.
  10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Do a search on the net, there may be tips available such as:

11. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I would go back to her house, and knock on the door. If you are sure she is home but not coming to the front to answer, I'd take my ass right on to the back garden where you think she probably is.

1st off - sausages (or pork) is NOT GOOD at all for animals. I know that sometimes when animals get bad down and sick, I've known of people to give them a little ham just so the animal will have a something in its stomach so it will then eat something that IS good for it. That being said...I'd go to her house and be REAL NICE but explain like you said about the cat being your dad's (now passed) and that you didn't mind your cat VISITING but living there, especially overnight visits, is a whole other thing, and you do NOT like this!!!

I'd be very serious with her about this too! If you aren't against this idea, suggest she and her kids come visit the cat at your house - but the overnight visits for this cat are tearing your nerves up and need to STOP! In fact, the next time your kitty doesn't come home at night, I'd march my ass right over there and ask if MY cat isn't there because even though you don't mind them visiting, he is expected home each night, and he was before this started up with them.

I think she just took you off guard and you were too agreeable with her...tell her that, too...that you were shocked out of your good sense, but your cat staying overnight or even for more than an hour or so is too long for your cat to be over there.

I would suggest having salmon for him at home - that is good for them and they LOVE it! Whereas tuna smells good and stinky but it is really too rich for cats and not that good for them.

Like it was said above - explain to her about your dad. and Please pay NO ATTENTION to Spaceman because he can't stand cats and probably only knows what he knows from what he has read here on the forum about them. smh lol

You mentioned having a cat flap - but that really is NOT all that common here in the states, especially where I live. We intentionally keep our cats inside and everybody I know that has cats has litter pans, and I literally mean everybody.

12. ahsorandy

ahsorandy Members

Get rid of the dog. LOL

13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Okay, here's a totally stupid idea...so it might just work.

Get one of those laser pointers and flash it around the cat next time you see him near the house.
    Then slowly walk backwards until you're in the house!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. KarmaRose

KarmaRose Members

When you get your cat back build a chicken wire enclosed pen off of the cat flap so he can't run off. Your cat will be safer that way, you won't have to worry anymore that your cat will run off or get hit in the street.