How strict a vegan are you?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Claire, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Claire

Claire Senior Member

It's driving me crazy how many products have animal products in them! I find it so prejudice towards people who want to lead a cruelty free lifestyle.

Most of the fruit juices in my local supermarket aren't vegan and I daren't pick up a sandwich from a cafe incase the bread has lactic acid in it etc etc.

Some vegans wear second hand leather some don't. I've decided to not buy anymore leather products regardless of whether they are second hand on not.

It's all about what you feel comfortable with I guess. So I was wondering... How Strict are you and what are your boundaries?

Love Clairexxx

2. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I am not at all, but my new friend introduced mo to vegan cooking when I was visiting home this past week. not anywhere near as bland as I thought it would be.

3. Little Vegan Dan

Little Vegan Dan Member

for the most part everything i eat is strictly vegan, the only stuff i'm not positive about being vegan is the bread at restaurants and the fact that some things are cooked on the same grill, i also have no problem with second hand leather or wool, i don't wear it just cuz it's not my style and it's a pain in the ass to deal with the assholes who will get all hyped up and yell 'hypocrite' for minor things like that. oh, and i don't use honey or cochineal.

~Dan

4. PriceCheck

PriceCheck Senior Member

Join us... join us... join us...

5. crummyrummy

are you wooing me?

6. PriceCheck

PriceCheck Senior Member

*looks up "woo" in dictionary*

Yes. Yes I am.

Oh and to answer the question, I'm painfully strict at home about food(by my rules not the purist ones), but lax on some hidden not-too-creepy ingredients when I'm out. I'm always strict on clothing and the like, and will return gifts or ask for a receipt if they contain something like leather or feathers, and I'll say why.

7. crummyrummy

ok. I have felt an off an on again need for veganism. However I am active Duty Navy and will deploy abourd a sea worthy vessel soon. How hard would it be to be vegan under those circumstances?

8. PriceCheck

PriceCheck Senior Member

Oh. I think it might be tough I'm not sure how you get fed in the navy. Most people who jump in with both feet seem to fail. You could try to set a goal of having say, one meal a day be vegan, or eliminating one or two types of animal products altogether, and see how it goes. Most people cut out red meats first, then poultry, then fish...you probably know all this already. Like Claire is saying, it's a personal comfort thing.

Anyways if you eventually decide it's for you, you can always find a way. You just have to learn to not mind being a bit of a pain in the ass. ;)

9. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

How could juice not be vegan? Out of curiosity I went and checked the kitchen, I found Cran-Apple, Tomato,& unsweetened Grape juice and I don't see anything listed in the ingredients that tells me there are meat products in them.

10. Claire

Claire Senior Member

It's the coating they put on the fruits to keep them ripe I believe. At my local co-op some juices are listed as vegan and some just as vegetarian.

Some alcohols aren't vegan either or even vegetarian. I think theres already been a post about it though.

Hmm I'll see if I can find a source on the web about it when I get back on Monday:)

Love Clairexxx

11. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

I live a macrobiotic life style.

I don’t eat any sugar.. not even much fruit, i only eat fruit in season and organic from ou climate (not bananas or mango's or anything of that sort).
    I don’t eat any kind of milk dairy or animal products .
    I don’t eat bread or pasta's (starchy stuff tat just "fills" your stomach).
    I don’t eat meat.

But i do eat alot! of REALLY GOOD organic food and i spend a good few hours a day cooking! but its all the fun and love! eating my food is a celebration for me! i STOP every thing im doing and set it aside and meditate before i eat, and celebrate this earth giving its abundance of rich beautiful food

Macrobiotic can be a very "Daunting' name But its really means
    Root word.. Marco: Long, Great Root word. Bios: Life, Living
    Soo it essentially means: Long life

Its a Buddhist middle path of balance and a healthy life style. feel free to ask questions

12. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

I'm baffled about the fruit juices thing and how they can't be vegan, could you elaborate, also on how some alcohol is not even vegetarian not vegan.

Sorry for the ignorance, I'm not even a vegetarian, I just read the posts in here becuase I'm fascinated by you vegans. :)

13. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

See if you cut out all those stimulants and sugars from those juices and just drink good old water and green tea's then you wouldn’t have to worry about them being vegan or not... with saying that. not ingesting the sugar's and stimulants like caffeine or any others thing your energy stays at a beautiful steady rate. no up's or downs. just beautiful consistent energy

14. Tarka Dhaling

Tarka Dhaling Member

Regarding alcohol wines and beers are filtered using different methods one such as islinglass which are fish bladders , some use cork and some use casein therefore suitable for veggies and not vegans regarding soft drinks or diluting juices may contain animal-derived colourants, such as cochineal
    Some orange coloured drinks may contain beta-carotene held in a gelatine suspension

15. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Ah me sees, cheers for the info. It's amazing the shit you don't know about the food you eat until you look into it.

16. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

I was wondering about this Claire....if its the keep longer sprays they shove on fruits....then won't organic juice be okay??.....or you could buy a juicer and make your own.......I guess the key is how much time and effort is it viable for you to put in without getting to the going crazy stage and rushing out and buying a big mac:p

17. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

I eat almost exclusively organic at home, cook most of my own meals from scratch and triple check the ingredient lists of everything I purchase.

When I'm out, I've learned to be more careful than I used to be because I have developed such a huge allergy to dairy, but I'm more concerned with meat broth or fish sauce than I am with sodium casseinate (although I am allergic to that too).

Christmas 2003, my mom gave me a Tommy Bahama sweater, which was a wool/silk blend. I told her I was going to take it back and why. She was fine with it. On the other hand, my boss gave out small tins of shortbread and a small package of milk chocolate to everyone for XMas. I just told him I was going to give the stuff to my hubby, who is ovo-lacto.