How old is the hip movement?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Derf, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Derf

Derf Member

In a nutshell, I have no idea; but I think Christ was a major mover in it. I don't, however, believe that things went as he wished for them to.
    My reasoning jumps all the way to the town of Scooby when a group of Christians eventually fled to Dresden, Holland, escaping from the persecution of the Church of England. Many of these same people left Dresden on the Speedwell and boarded the Mayflower on its voyage to America. They were Christians in the true meanings of Christ and they were hippies right down to colorful clothes and a free spirit. Although the separatists(pilgrims) were attacked by Indians, they not only survived the Indians, they befriended Squanto, Massasoit and other Wampanoag Indians and it wasn't until the Puritans arrived in Boston and cheated and killed the Indians that war erupted between the settlers and the Indians.
    To me, this is important as it demonstrates the difference between the tactics employed by the man of peace and the man of ego.
    This history lesson has been repeated by no less than the great Ghandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King. If we don't learn from our mistakes, we are destined to repeat them. It will be a very long road to peace with many victims of foul play. I ask that you believe that those whom I have mentioned were right and we must love each other in spite of our own weaknesses.